The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 9, 2008, 07:46 AM   #51
Leeman

Not likely.

The factory crimp die touches no part of the cartridge except the very end of the mouth. It cannot make the loaded round larger to cause chambering problems. Perhaps you should check for some other problem.

Last edited by Leeman; March 9, 2008 at 07:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old March 9, 2008, 12:28 PM   #52
Alleykat

Jeff: Thanks for the clarifications! I use FCDs for semi-auto handgun reloading with great success. I don't load lead, so I think that accounts for a lot of my success in the use of the FCD.

I have used FCDs for rifle reloading, but have pretty much determined that the Miracle FCD is a waste of time, and that I don't improve my rifles' accuracy by using the FCD.

I don't think we had a disagreement over semantics, just that your original posts didn't contain the SAME semantics as you clarification.
Old March 10, 2008, 12:40 AM   #53
TexasSeaRay

Alleykat,

Know what you mean. Frustration adversely affects my patience which affects my clarity--and the FCDs were frustrating the living hell out of me.

I'll see how the .223 and 7.62x39 FCDs do . . . but as far as the other long gun caliber FCDs, they are a complete waste of time and money for me. The previous calibers (.223, Russian .308) go into some autoloaders, so maybe I'll get a better perspective or example of the FCD's perceived benefits.

If not, oh well. They were only nine bucks apiece.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.