The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 17, 2001, 12:56 PM   #1
AC's & 45's

Mag extention

How closely can I expect the finish on my 870 Express to match the finish on a Scattergun Technologies mag extension?
Old July 17, 2001, 01:19 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Dunno,ACs. The Choate extension compliments the matte finish on my Deer 870 pretty well. The matte Remington extension on my HD 870 is less matched to the gloss blue of its receiver.

Other than looks, no difference.
Old July 17, 2001, 10:29 PM   #3
fed168

Close enough not to make a difference. I just put one on mine and I don't even notice it.
Old July 19, 2001, 01:10 PM   #4
AC's & 45's

Ok guys I just ordered a Choate +2 extension kit for my 870.

One question I have is does the barrel support secure the mag extension tube from unscrewing. I removed the dimples from my express's mag tube in anticipation of installing an extension.

I noticed during my recent range session that the mag cap loosened up under recoil. I also noticed that my new 18" barrel's lug is drilled for the detent spring and ball. But they are not installed. I can't imagine how this would be too difficult to complete. Brownells lists the parts and the punch needed.
Funny how my 28" Express barrel is not drilled for this feature.