The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 1, 2014, 07:48 PM   #26
edfrompa

I started out fifty years ago with a model 10 Smith and Wesson, been through just about every semi auto made since then. Now I am back to the Smith and Wesson 686 Plus. I just like revolvers. Should have stayed with them thru the years.
Old August 1, 2014, 08:37 PM   #27
mr bolo

I started with a bb gun then moved up to .22

I never went back to shooting .22 , that was more of a beginner's training rd , havent shot a .22 since I was a kid

never went back, but I think it would make a nice varmit rifle for pest control, for shooting rats, snakes, rabbits, squirrels, skunks, etc
Old August 1, 2014, 09:17 PM   #28
22-rimfire

Full circle? I don't know, but I do know that I have purchased more 22 rimfire firearms than anything else. Rifles has been where's it at for a while now. So, full circle? Perhaps, but I still like to shoot some heavier recoiling firearms. Proportionally, it is the most common caliber I shoot. I suspect that if you consider total cost, 22's will win that too.
Old August 1, 2014, 10:17 PM   #29
surveyor

Maybe...
Pistols were fun to plink with..but never really had a target grade one..
Rifles, same thing.. the 10-22 was ok, but I never caught the bug for them..

A decent target pistol, and a pair of target grade rifles changed the appeal of
The little 22's for me.

It is fun again to shoot 1/2" groups at 50 yds with the rifles..
I enjoy it as much as shooting further with centerfire rifles..
Old August 2, 2014, 06:54 AM   #30
8MM Mauser

I have always shot my .22 Ruger MKII the most until recently when my home supply of .22 ran out and it became hard to get around here. Right now what I'm shooting the most is 9MM simply because I can find it and the cost is reasonable.

I did have a simar experiance with Glock though. I was about to buy a G19; decided not too. Spent the next 5 years looking at every handgun under the sun and ended up coming back to the G19. Should have just baught it in the first place!
Old August 2, 2014, 08:48 AM   #31
Jack O'Conner

I started out with a borrowed 30-30 and open sights. My young eyes were compatible to this outfit and two nice bucks were felled in two years. But I thought I needed a bigger rifle and bought a Savage levergun in .308 with my own money at age 17. About 20 years ago, I bought an angle-eject Winchester and mounted a low power scope for wide field of view. 30-30 has been my "go to" deer rifle ever since.

30-30 is a keeper!

Jack
Old August 2, 2014, 11:10 PM   #32
10-96

Yeah- I don't know about the full circle thing or not. But, I remember picking up a magazine when I was in Iraq back in '03 that had a fantastically written article by a guy who I guess did the full circle thing. He reminesced about his younger days, carefree time spent with his relatives/elders, stomping around fields and such. I can't remember enough about it to give the article much credit- but I do remember spending quite a bit of time relating to it and pondering over it. Sometimes, even in a war zone, there can be lots of time to think about things. I realized there were lots of things I missed about the days of being a youngster- roaming the hills and canyons, 4-H shoots, county and district matches, etc spent with a .22 of some sort. The lowly little .22 was/is a lot of fun that I'd forgotten about for 20+ years. I remembered thinking, "Dang it, I'm gonna make it a point to shoot .22's a little more often if-n-when I get home." I did, and I'm glad I did. I can't go back to the 70's and 80's- but I can at least take a peek through the sights of a .22

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.