The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 5, 2010, 01:30 PM   #1
woodguru

Noise Difference Between .40 & .380

I had to shoot one shot with the .40 MilPro off the back deck just to check it out. The noise that thing makes is magnitudes louder than the Beretta .380 Cheetah. I shoot a few shots here and there off the back deck and it doesn't hurt my ears the way this .40 does. The brass ended up at the edge of the deck 30 feet away, this thing will be a bear to collect brass.

Is that the difference of 2" barrel versus 4" or all caliber difference? Dang but that thing is LOUD.
Old November 5, 2010, 07:39 PM   #2
drail

If you're not using hearing protection it doesn't really matter. Without it in time you won't be able to tell the difference. Any firearm is up in the range of DB levels that the human ear cannot make any reasonable assessment.
Old November 5, 2010, 07:45 PM   #3
Hoss Fly

Huh, did someone say something
Old November 5, 2010, 07:48 PM   #4
CapeCodShooter

.40 cal. is loud, rude and makes a nice, big hole. At the range, you'll have your ears on, so it won't matter. In a SD situation, at least outdoors, I think those are desirable things. I want the BG to say to himself, "that man's crazy. He's shooting a hand cannon. Feet, don't fail me now."

For indoor SD, either a .40 or a .380 will blow your ears off, as will a 9mm,
.38SPL or any other defensive caliber. Well, I'd prefer to be temporarily deaf rather than permanently dead.
Old November 5, 2010, 07:54 PM   #5
Hoss Fly

Quote:
Well, I'd prefer to be temporarily deaf rather than permanently dead.
I'm pretty sure nobody is saying " Be sure to put on hearing protection" before shooting the BG