The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 15, 2001, 03:58 PM   #1
300winguy

Varget Question!

I just got back from the store were I bought some Varget. From looking at Lees reloading manual and Hodgdon manual, it shows that for a 50 gr. bullet, out of my .223 remington, to use 27.5 grains of powder. It doesn't give any other numbers. Should I use only that amount? Can I reduce the load to start or do you have to use exactly 27.5 grains of powder?
Old November 15, 2001, 06:41 PM   #2
bullseyekp

Maximums......

I believe the data listed there is the recommended maximum for that caliber and bullet weight. It should say that somewhere in your Hodgden manual. Standard practices usually advise that you back off of that charge by 10-15% to start out. At least that's what I was always told. I would start at 25.0 grains and work your way up from there.
"The great German poet, Goethe, who also lived through a crisis of freedom, said to his generation: 'What you have inherited from your fathers, earn over again for yourselves or it will not be yours'. We inherited freedom. We seem unaware that freedom has to be remade and re-earned in each generation of man."

--Adlai Stevenson, "Politics and Morality", Saturday Review, February 7, 1959.
Old November 15, 2001, 07:53 PM   #3
Keith J

Here's the quote, note 2nd paragraph

WARNING!
For all brands of powders use only the components shown. If you make any changes in components or get new lot numbers, you should begin again with the starting loads and work up to maximum cautiously.

For those loads listed where a starting load is not shown, start 10% below the suggested maximum load and then approach maximums carefully, watching for any sign of pressure (difficult extraction, cratered and flattened or blown primers, and unusual recoil), H110 Loads should not be reduced more than 3%.

Reduce H110 Loads 3% and work up from there. H110 if reduced too much will cause inconsistent ignition. In some cases it will lodge a bullet in the barrel, causing a hazardous situation (Barrel Obstruction). This may cause severe personal injury or death to users or bystanders. DO NOT REDUCE H110 LOADS BY MORE THAN 3%.

H4831SC has the same ballistic performance as H4831.

NEVER Exceed the Loads Listed in This Publication.
Old November 16, 2001, 03:50 AM   #4
Oakleaf

USUAL CAVEATS THAT EVEY RIFLE DIFFERENT ETC ETC AT OWN RISK.

I tend to find that most manuals are cautious - and understandably so. With any new variable I start low and work up.

In terms of Varget in .223, here is where I have gotten - FOR MY RIFLE AND SPECIFIC COMPONENTS/ LOADING STYLE -

Winchester case, CCI standard small rifle primer, Lee dies.

Varget 26.5 grains, 52grain A Max bullet, OAL 57.8mm.
Observed velocity across 20 shots - 3070 fps.

Rifle is a Remington VS.

Groups very well and no signs of pressure. Working up batches at .2 grain intervals, but will stop once I get circa 3150 fps - all I need for my purposes ( assuming I keep the accuracy ).
Old December 19, 2001, 04:14 AM   #5
DAVID NANCARROW

Hope its not too late, but if you are using military brass, you should consider backing off the charge an additional 5-10% as military cases are thicker, so the combustion chamber is smaller and pressures will run a bit on the high side
Old December 19, 2001, 07:05 AM   #6
rn22723

Military Brass

You generally do not have to worry about the reduced case volume with Military 223 brass. the WCC/LC brass weighs close to WW commercial brass. The reduction in charges with 308/30-06 is very much a concern. Otherwise load the military 223 as if it were commerical.

As always reduce 10% and work your load up. What is safe in one gun is not true for another.