The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 9, 2012, 07:50 PM   #1
onewing

How to Make "Shoot 'n See" Targets

I'm aware there has been quite a few ways of replicating this effect posted on various places and movies, but I dont think any have come as close to the original or as simple to do as those shown here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2VdozmyltE

It uses incompatible paints to create the "splatter" effect coating one over the other.

Old February 9, 2012, 08:49 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

What the heck language is he "speaking"? I was past the mid-point of the video before I could even begin toi understand him. It sure wasn't English, and it didn't sound like any Canadian or Australian I've ever met.
Old February 9, 2012, 09:43 PM   #3
mes227

Quote:
What the heck language is he "speaking"? I was past the mid-point of the video before I could even begin toi understand him. It sure wasn't English, and it didn't sound like any Canadian or Australian I've ever met.
Sounds exactly like Australia to me.
Old February 10, 2012, 09:57 AM   #4
BPowderkeg

soooo.., did anyone understand the process for making them ? if so please post the "How To Make Shoot'n C" targets here in plain English. OK ??
Old February 10, 2012, 12:02 PM   #5
PigFarmer

Ok the how to

Take piece of paper and spray paint it with a water based paint. Once it has dried paint over it using an oil based paint, this may take two coats of paint. He clips a templete over the paper after the water based paint to create a typical cross hair type target.

Make sure to use contrasting paint colors, he used yellow water based paint and a black oil based paint.

May have to give this a go.
Old February 10, 2012, 12:18 PM   #6
Kap

What he also said was that he tried several different combinations but the high visibility yellow water based paint and black oil based overlay turned out to be the best combination of what he tried. I take a man silhouette and I made a template out of hardboard. I lay it on cardboard and spray paint black around all the edges about 1 - 2" wide. Then I take Bright yellow latex paint and hand brush it inside the black frame. I can see the contrast on everyone of my hits at pistol ranges without a problem and it only costs pennies to make.
Old February 10, 2012, 01:35 PM   #7
dev_null

What's the problem, you guys don't speak "Strine?" (Australian English)
Old February 10, 2012, 01:45 PM   #8
810wmb

found this one after looking at the op's link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0U0e...eature=mh_lolz
Old February 10, 2012, 04:14 PM   #9
g.willikers

Any paper with a slick surface works, too.
Like parchment cooking paper.
The spray paint easily flakes off, revealing the slick paper underneath.
Old February 10, 2012, 06:29 PM   #10
KyJim

If you look at the second link, the method is using a clear tape to coat bright paper and then spray paint it with enamel. I would think you could tape different colors of bright paper on the main sheet and then tape over it all in order to get different color reactions depending on distance to target.
Old February 11, 2012, 09:51 AM   #11
BPowderkeg

thank you Pig Farmer, Kap, and g.willikers for your better explanation.
i have "toyed" with this concept for several years now with poor results, with this info i believe i can now make suitable "shoot'n C" targets.
Old February 11, 2012, 10:13 PM   #12
patrickmn

Sometimes I spray the cheapest, flat black spray paint I can find over shoot and see targets to get a couple of extra uses out of them. Even if I hit a hole that was already there, it usually knocks enough paint off the edge to see that I hit it. It don't really save much money, but every little bit helps.