The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 17, 2011, 12:50 PM   #1
Huskerguy

Will I notice difference between 180 grain and 175

I am getting set up to pour my own lead bullets. I have done it in the past so it isn't new to me but the 40 load is. I shoot 180 grain bullets currently and see where Lee makes a 175 grain SWC. Will I notice a difference in the loads I have worked up for a 180 grain lead bullet versus a 175?
Old July 17, 2011, 01:20 PM   #2
vladan

There is more than weight involved ... you didn't specify if the 180grain bullets you shoot now are lead or jacketed and if jacketed, going to lead will change the powder charge and pressure curve, the new bullet profile will also most likely change seating depth again affecting powder and pressure...

Any time you change any component in your loading process you should start again from minimum and work your way up to best load.
Old July 17, 2011, 01:53 PM   #3
BDS-THR

Depends on bullet nose profile and how deep the bullet will get seated into the case neck. If both are seated to same depth and have similar bearing surface, probably not enough to notice (most commercial lead bullets will vary 1-5+ gr depending on lot anyway).

You can use same load data to do work up from starting charge for lighter bullet.
Old July 17, 2011, 02:04 PM   #4
PawPaw

Wait until you cast your first batch of bullets, lube them prior to loading, then weight them.

The final, ready-to-load weight of cast bullets is never what the mold specs say. Your particular alloy will change the weight of the bullet. Your particular lube technique will change the weight of the bullet. Are you going to see a difference? Absolutely! Changes in seating depth, meplat shape, alloy strength, all these things make a difference.

It's part and parcel of loading cast bullets. Personally, I prefer it. I haven't shot a handgun jacketed bullet in years, except for the box I'm required to shoot each year for agency quals. All my personal shooting is done with cast.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old July 17, 2011, 02:48 PM   #5
wncchester

Well, the 180s will be 2.7514% heavier, IF they are both actually the projected weight. I can't tell the difference in a 3% change of bullet weight.
Old July 17, 2011, 05:50 PM   #6
Slamfire

With my cast bullets, the weight spread was a lot more than five grains with the same darn mold.

I do like Vladan's advice of working up when ever you change things. That would be the safest thing to do.
Old July 17, 2011, 07:42 PM   #7
flashhole

I cast and shoot the exact bullet you reference in your opening post. It is the microgroove design. I have the 6-cavity mold and I use a Lee Pro 4-20 pot with the bottom pour spout. When everything is up to temp it produces a pile of bullets in short order. Casting sessions are ~2 hours and I crank out 500 - 600 bullets. My alloy gives me a bullet weight of 177.5 grains and it is remarkably consistent bullet to bullet. One thing I recommend is to get the Lee 401 sizer kit too. It is superb for making consistently sized bullets.

For me, casting and loading loading for the 40 S&W I use 100% Lee equipment and the ammo is excellent. A Lee Deluxe Die Set and a Classic Turret Press with a Lee Funnel in the Powder Through Expander Die and powder charges with Lee Dipper Cups. I also recommend pushing the cases through the Lee Crimp Die to take care of any bulge that may come about by being fired in a chamber not fully supported. Just unscrew the top and pull out the guts. The plunger that comes with the 401 sizing kit works to push the brass up through the die. The plunger snaps into the press ram like a shell holder. You still need to run the brass through the regular FL Sizing Die if you push them through the Crimp Die.

I use a mix of Lee Liquid Alox, Johnson's Past Wax and Mineral Spirits for the lube. A very thin coating is all you need.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old July 17, 2011, 07:49 PM   #8
flashhole

Just another note, in my Taurus Millenium that bullet likes to be seated all the way to the top ledge of the front most sizing ring even with the mouth on the brass.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old July 17, 2011, 09:07 PM   #9
Huskerguy

The current bullet I have loaded and shot several hundred off is a 180 grain lead flat point. I use both lead and Berry's plated bullets. On the lead I use:
180 Grain lead flat point
OAL of 1.125
3.2 grains of Titegroup
Lee factory crimp - very light
This load has been very accurate in my XDM

The bullet I am looking at in the Lee mold is 175 grain truncated cone in the two cavity mold. I also have the Lee sizing kit to go along with it.

I have heard some people say they don't vary a load for 5 grains of difference because of all the other variables with lead. As I read some of the replies they are mentioned. Sorry for not including all the information.