The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 24, 2012, 02:07 AM   #1
RsqVet

Adding a monogrip lanyard ring.

Most of my revolvers that I carry / use wear rubber / nylon monogrips and I am a big fan of lanyard rings on my revolvers.

I have been looking for an economical way to add them to my guns for awhile now.

Bowen custom arms has a very nice offering however it is 50 dollars

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/part...s_&_studs.html

As nice as the Bowen product is, I can not justify 50 dollars.

Only other option has been some smith and wesson guns (629-4 era trail boss) came with a lanyard ring grip screw and I found one via a parts dealer once, though Smith says they are out of stock when I call on them now.

What I discovered was McMaster-Carr carries something called a square shouldered solid rod end which will work quite well as a replacement for the screw in the monogrip and also serve as a lanyard ring. Below is the link to the catalog page. Part number is 3796K28.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#solid-rod-ends/=jutehz

Price is only 10 bucks each.

It is not a simple drop in replacement however since the mongrip mounting screw has 10-24 threads and the rod ends are threaded 10-32. To fix this all that one needs to do is pry apart the monogrip mounting thing and replace the 10-24 square nut in it with a 10-32. It's not hard at all, the U shaped piece of the monogrip mount saddle is spring steel and I would not mess with it, the small retainer piece that holds the nut is soft and easy to undo and re-do. I used a small ignition sized slip joint pliers. Had to buy a box of 100 nuts so if anyone wants a few shoot me an message.

For my GP100 the length on the rod end is perfect, on my S+W N frame that I just finished doing I needed 1/2 inch of thread length and had about 1 inch so I ran a die on it, cut, filed and cleaned the threads. Little bit of work but I just outfitted my GP100, Redhawk and 625 for a relaxed hour or so of work and 30 bucks. Makes me a happy man. I will post pictures if anyone is interested.

Also the rod ends fit standard quick detach sling mounts as well.
Old October 24, 2012, 06:58 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

I like the Monogrips on my sporting revolvers ( prefer wood... non sticky ) on my CCW guns...

but I have a couple with lanyard rings, but no lanyards... at least yet...

wouldn't mind seeing what you have... & what you're using for lanyards
Old October 25, 2012, 11:06 AM   #3
RsqVet

Magnum ---

Be aware the wood monogrips use another size screw, i have a wood set for my one GP100 and the screw size does not interchange. Also sometimes one needs to use a longer screw to seat the ruger monogrip then put the stud with the loop in. Maybe I will buy some longer ones and cut them down to avoid this. Its about a 2 mm extra thread you need.

As to lanyards, I do the KISS principle --- simple and cheap. I use the 1.5 MM accessory cord from REI or other sources. Mine are about 24 inches with a loop at each end --- I uses a figure of 8 follow though to make the loop. The 1.5 mm cord is small enough to go through whatever ring you have. I do that and then pass the lanyard though the loop to attach it without the need of any hardware etc. Then the other end I put through my belt. I then tuck the cord neatly up between my belt and pants / holster. Keeps it out of the way and allows it to play out if you draw. May not be expensive or fancy but it works.

I also frequently leave the lanyard out if I am storing my gun in my pack or sleeping roll. Gives a quick way to access the pistol.