The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 14, 2000, 10:11 AM   #1
Dave T

Been looking at Vaqueros lately and was wondering why Ruger puts a steel housing on the stainless version but aluminum on the blued one. Anyone have an idea what's behind this seeming contradiction?
Old May 14, 2000, 12:59 PM   #2
wakal

I think it is yet another way to keep costs low. The Rugers are quite inexpensive, but there are some corners cut (IMO) here and there.

My Vaquero now has a cam-cut steel ejector rod housing on it now, with the nifty Colt-style ejector rod.

That, the free-spin pawl (what a wonderful idea), and some stag grips...factory stock is boring!

Alex
Old May 14, 2000, 01:32 PM   #3
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

I'm pretty sure that Ruger has started putting steel housings on all new Vaqueros. Brownell's carries the blued steel housings if you want to retrofit.

Bellicose Bill
Old May 14, 2000, 07:35 PM   #4
Gunslinger

My Cowboy guns are a matched pair of Vaqueros featuring steel ejector housings, dual .44MAG/WCF cylinders, over size base pins, three screw conversion, free spin pawls, modified (tightened) base pin latchs, jewelled Bisley hammers, fire blued screws, mirror polished (with all factory writing removed, alternating blind side ivory polymir grips and jewelled triggers. They are scheduled for 2/3 coverage engraving this summer. Both are fitted in a case with my custom American Derringer in matching dual .44 MAG/WCF caliber and .22LR/MAG. NAA mini revolver watch fob.

Yelp, factory stock is boring.
<Sorry, couldn't resist>

------------------
Gunslinger

TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000
Old May 14, 2000, 08:44 PM   #5
wakal

heh heh...for us poor folks here in the sticks, a couple of mods are nice, too...

A
Old May 15, 2000, 08:49 AM   #6
Gunslinger

Sorry wakal, I reckon that did sound condesending. I assure you ah'm, jus' a po' ol' country boy livin' in the sticks myself. I had my own business building custom Vaqueros for CAS and after building more than I care to count for others I am finally getting around to finishing my own guns. It's much cheaper when you do all your own work..........and it takes you five years to accumulate the parts to get them done.

------------------
Gunslinger

Old May 15, 2000, 09:23 AM   #7
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I've seen Gunslinger's Vaqueros and they are truly works of art. Thought personally I think they should be my works of art.
Old May 15, 2000, 07:04 PM   #8
Gunslinger

Now, now fal. (Thank you ) Don't forget the Street Rod Nationals are coming to Springfield May 26th, 27th & 28th. (Hey, life isn't all guns. ) Terri and I will miss them due to being at the Bianci Cup that week. (Okay life is mostly guns. )

------------------
Gunslinger

Old May 15, 2000, 08:16 PM   #9
wakal

Hey, I don't mind folks bragging about their guns, ESPECIALLY if they made them themselves like a true local fiend with their own three hands (for all you McManus fans )

My old man runs a gun shop in MN, now that I am finally stationed in America (ten years later), I'm working on starting up my own shop. Maybe in ten years I'll be up to where you are now...so break an arm or take a ten year vacation so I can catch up...heh heh...

Alex
Old May 16, 2000, 08:54 AM   #10
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Haven't been keeping up on the Street Rod Nats this year. Didn't realize it was this early. Oh well, I have to work that Friday night anyway. I may hit the Bianchi Cup though, it's only two hours away.
If you haven't been to Green Valley, they hold a good CAS match also on a monthly basis.
Are you going to be inside the barn?
Old May 16, 2000, 10:08 AM   #11
Gunslinger

Barn? Barn! Oh, no, you mean with farm animals and such? And here I thought this was a respectable get to gether. Actually this will be our first time there so I'm not sure where we'll be. Where ever they put the sponsors/venders. It would be great to see you there. We may try to make it out to the HR NAT's Sunday but doubt we'll be up to it after the CUP.

Wakal, I'm sure you are already well up to speed with me. I try to tell people all the time I am not a gunsmith. I just like building my own toys........when I can. Partially from the pride of doig it oneself and also due to finacial contraints.

------------------
Gunslinger

Old May 20, 2000, 05:16 PM   #12
Dave T

You guys are absolutely free to post anything you want here, and I don't mind that you did. I just wish a few more of you would have addressed the original question.