The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 29, 2008, 03:33 PM   #1
simonkenton

Vanilla Extract?

Is someone pulling my leg, or is vanilla extract really a good deer lure?
Old October 29, 2008, 04:57 PM   #2
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day, sounds like something you might use to mask other scent with. It might also be better than splashing Bambi **** over yourself.
Old October 29, 2008, 05:03 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I wouldn't dispute it as many things out of the realm seem to work. Diesel and strawberry jello both attract hog so who is to say vanilla won't attract deer.
Brent
Old October 29, 2008, 05:25 PM   #4
wpcexpert

I've used Vanilla extcact on many occasions. I've neved seen a deer come from great distances to find it, but I've had deer stay in the area plenty long enough for me to get a shot. If they are comming into my area already, they will sometimes hang out to try and find the scent.

You know I take that back. I poured an entire bottle on a log one morning and a cowhorn came straight in and B-lined for the log and started licking and gnawing. After a few licks, he started having breathing problems and killed over dead. Strangest thing.

But to answer your question directly, Yes it does work.

Another one I've had good luck with is Sure Kill Acorn Scent. Many a doe have been lured right in and reduced to possession.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old October 29, 2008, 05:31 PM   #5
fisherman66

Quote:
I poured an entire bottle on a log one morning and a cowhorn came straight in and B-lined for the log and started licking and gnawing. After a few licks, he started having breathing problems and killed over dead. Strangest thing.
same thing happened to my first wife.
Old October 29, 2008, 06:12 PM   #6
The Terminator

Vanilla extract is my favorite deer lure. It has worked well for me. I got the tip from an old man when I was a teenager. That, and peanut butter smeared on leaves will attract them. It won't attract them for miles around, but it does work. It is especially good for when the rut is not in, or near, or is past. Does and bucks alike will come to it.

The only bear that I ever killed, a black bear, in 1987, was coming after it I think. No wives tale with vanilla extract.

Best - Ted
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)
Old October 29, 2008, 08:26 PM   #7
Jager78

My first experience using Vanilla was very positive.
Heard about it from a experienced Deer Hunter who used it for the first time the year before. He shot a Ten point and a few minutes later shot a eight point who came running into the area. All with in a five minute time period.

Last year I was eager to try this little trick and put a little bit on a unscented tampon and hung it from a branch about fifty yards from my stand.

Two hours later I noticed a nice size ten point creeping into the area head high sniffing around. I risked taking a onehundred and thirty yard shot once he came to a halt broadside. I benchrested and took aim at him with my Weatherby Vanguard 300 WBY Mag wearing a Leupold VX-II 3.9x40mm.

Needless to say he didn't make it 30 yards before he was down.

I will continue to take good advise from more experienced hunters and I will be using Vanilla again this season.
Old October 29, 2008, 08:30 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

What type and brand of Vanilla Extract were these positive results with?
Don't wanna buy a lame duck!
Brent
Old October 29, 2008, 08:48 PM   #9
wpcexpert

I had to post a reprint. Do not use Vanilla extract. Use IMITATION Vanilla. The real stuff has alcohol in it. The critters don't like it. At least that's been my experience. I've been blown out of the woods with the real stuff. Imitation only.

Edit:
I was just informed that they also have Imitation Vanilla Extract. Just be sure it says Imitation.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by wpcexpert; October 29, 2008 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Additional info.
Old October 29, 2008, 09:09 PM   #10
bclark1

So it seems like a positive thing? I'd actually heard this was a tall tale and that it'd send 'em running as it's too foreign.

I'd like to experiment, but if I haven't filled my buck tag I'm blame the vanilla. If I do fill my buck tag and a bigger one walks in, I'll shoot myself. Lose-lose.
Old October 29, 2008, 10:52 PM   #11
zahnzieh

Yeah. How do you apply it? Do you just dispense it the day of the hunt or put it on wicks and let the scent linger in the area? thanks
Old October 30, 2008, 04:47 PM   #12
wpcexpert

Quote:
How do you apply it? Do you just dispense it the day of the hunt or put it on wicks and let the scent linger in the area?
You know, I've never tried the prolonged use of in a particular area. I wouldn't think it would work in the kind of way. It's not a food substance that would continue to bring in deer like corn will. I would think that you would eventually create a Null effect for the vanilla. If the deer smells the stuff and can't find it, or finds it and it is nothing, then they will dismiss it from then on.

I use it as a curosity scent. When they come into the area and catch a wiff, they sometimes linger around and try and find the source. But they usually end up finding the buisness end of a arrow.

I always take my scent wicks with me. I never leave them in the woods.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old October 30, 2008, 05:12 PM   #13
The Terminator

Deer don't just like the smell. They like the taste. I have always put it in spray bottle and sprayed leaves with it. I have seen them eat kudzu that had been sprayed. One fellow said to use imitation, but, I have always used the real thing. I guess either would work.

It has a strong odor, is put on a game trail, and they will smell it and come to it.
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)
Old October 30, 2008, 05:40 PM   #14
Edward429451

I've heard that deer are curiously attracted to the smell of coffee also. With all the deer shot in camp stories I've heard I think it might be true. None of em proved it in my camp this year though!

Hadda trudge out and get em.
Old October 30, 2008, 06:40 PM   #15
RLFD5415

Double T,

If you say it works that's good enough for me. I'll give it a go tomorrow as a matter of fact!. I think what i have in the house is Imitation. I'll report back in tom.
Old October 30, 2008, 07:14 PM   #16
bclark1

Report back and let us know!

Anyone think it might be a regional thing, too? The guys who said it's hocus-pocus are PA hunters - perhaps it works better in south/further west/somewhere else?
Old October 30, 2008, 07:27 PM   #17
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I poured an entire bottle on a log one morning and a cowhorn came straight in and B-lined for the log and started licking and gnawing. After a few licks, he started having breathing problems and killed over dead. Strangest thing.

same thing happened to my first wife.
Wait... which part?
Old October 30, 2008, 07:44 PM   #18
wpcexpert

Quote:
Anyone think it might be a regional thing, too? The guys who said it's hocus-pocus are PA hunters - perhaps it works better in south/further west/somewhere else?
The cowhorn that got smoked due to the vanilla was in WV. I've used it in PA. Same results as always. In fact I'm heading up there on Sat to hunt with my dad for the week. Ever hopeful for the Bigun.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old October 30, 2008, 09:05 PM   #19
22-rimfire

I've held to the belief that vanilla flavored tobacco smoke attracts deer.
Old October 30, 2008, 09:28 PM   #20
Jager78

I'll bet RLFD5415 will at least see some wildlife come by sniffing around.
I swear by the stuff and will cotinue to use it.
By the way I used real extract. I don't know if there is enough alcohol in it to matter, but you could always play it safe and use imatation vanilla. I think I'll try both on different days this season.
Old October 30, 2008, 09:48 PM   #21
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Okay I finally got UN-LAZY (that a word?) and went into the wifey section of the spices/seasonings/flavorings cabinet and before me I hold a bottle of "FISCHER'S IMITATION VANILLA EXTRACT" And as I thought I remembered from the days as a wee lad of pre teen age watchin momma baking (I always waited to lick off them beaters)... The second ingredient in the fake stuff is alcohol so either you choose if it don't work you can't blame alcohol...
Think she is gonna miss it? I am gonna test it out in the yard near my Bait... ERRRR Bird feed...
Brent
Old October 31, 2008, 03:39 AM   #22
simonkenton

As I recall from my Paramedic days, both the real and imitation vanilla extract have about the same amount of alcohol.
Go on a call on a Sunday, can't buy booze in Georgia, an old wino is laying there with 4 or 5 empty bottles of imitation vanilla extract on the floor.
Disgusting, but at least it was a pleasant masking scent to make up for the fact that he hadn't had a bath in 3 weeks.
Old October 31, 2008, 10:00 AM   #23
dabigguns357

how i like to use such things as that is to find old film canisters,clean the smell out,tap a small hole in the top,fill with cotten balls,fill canisters til they are all most full with whatever scent you want,take twine/cotten string and tie and knot in one end and a loop in the other,take the knotted end and push it through the hole in the top of the canister till all you see is the loop, submerging string in scent.When you are ready to use just pull on the loop till it stops,then take the loop and hang from a tree or bush are a nail in a tree.When you are done just pull on knot and resubmerge string.It's cheap or even free if you already have everything.

Old October 31, 2008, 04:49 PM   #24
jimbo_4

ok, after reading this I thought I'd give it a try over the weekend. I dumped about 1 oz on a bush about 15 yds from my stand (bow hunting). it smells very strong, and I'm in a high traffic area for deer around here. We'll see if any come by and start having breathing issues here too. ;-)
Old October 31, 2008, 09:18 PM   #25
jimbo_4

Well, coming in from down wind, came a doe, and a button buck. They did hang around for a couple minutes, the doe sniffed around, but never ate at the bush I put the vanilla on, but did eat off of some leaves next to it. Again, I'm where about 6 deer trails intersect and the cross from the public to the private land. They could have been traveling the fence line anyway. I WILL try again tomorrow, I have no idea why I didn't shoot, that will be another thread.