The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 21, 2005, 02:08 PM   #1
JesseN

12 gauge blanks for dog training?

I was thinking about cutting the crimp off some shells and loading just the primer. Is there anything wrong with this idea? Cause damage to anything?

Any other recipes for shotshell dog training? I just want the noise and I want to shoot it from a long gun (not starter pistol).
Old March 21, 2005, 05:53 PM   #2
markbsam

A Little Boom?

Pull the wad and powder too. If you don't the wad will get lodged in the barrel. If you want it to sound like a shotgun pull the plastic wad and put fiber shotwads on top of the existing powder. I dont know how many it would take to get consistent ignition. CAREFULLY check the bore until you figure it out. A lodged wad will split your barrel on the next shot!
Old March 21, 2005, 11:15 PM   #3
Colduglandon

I have seen chamber inserts used to reduce calibers listed somewhere in the past. It may have been in the Shotgun News or Numrich Arms. Something like that would allow you to use blanks. I will try and dig something up if I can jog my memory. One reference is Shotgun Blank Adaptor.
Old March 22, 2005, 10:11 AM   #4
Russ5924

I don't think they will make that much noise.They do sell blanks but the ones I had were Black powder.And IF you have never fired over this dog DO NOT START with a shotgun of any kind. I used a .22 blank pistol and would have them outside and when they got busy playing I would shoot but about 50 ft away then move closer. When you are standing next to them and shoot and they just look at you ( this over a few weeks or more) then it is time for the shotgun. I friend ruined a dog by just shooting the shotgun she would hunt but the first shot she took off for the car My one dog would go find the shotwad and come back chewing it.
Old March 22, 2005, 12:30 PM   #5
JesseN

I was thinking of starting with an empty shell and just reloading the primer. The dog is not gun shy. No worries there but we do run drills everynight.
I have a blank adaptor for 12 g. but I am looking for a way to do it with 20 g.