The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 9, 2012, 08:07 AM   #1
vito

Thinking about starting reloading

Last weekend I took the NRA Metal Cartridge Reloading class and enjoyed learning about the process. I went to the Dillon website and added up all the things I would need to get started, beginning with the least expensive progressive press, but by the time I added it up, including dies for the 4 pistol calibers that I would need, the total was about $1,200 not counting a decent workbench to attach the press to. At the rate that I normally use up other than 22lr ammo it would take me a few years to justify the cost, but I think reloading could be a nice retirement hobby. This all made me wonder about how many on this forum reload, and if I am being foolish to think about starting right out with a progressive and all the added gadgets (vibrating case cleaner, electronic scale, etc.) rather than something more basic.
Old November 9, 2012, 08:20 AM   #2
Qtiphky

Start small

By going to the Dillons you went to the top of the line equipment, which there is nothing wrong with doing, but you should consider starting with more economical gear first and see if you enjoy it. I started with a Lee classic turret press, add a scale, add a few of their die sets and you're ready to go. Oops, forgot to mention that you need to get a good manual and read it first. I have been loading for over 5 years now and have well over 10,000 rounds loaded on the same Lee press that I started with. I have dies now for all of my calibers and don't shoot store bought ammo anymore except in my pistols when I am carrying. Not that I don't trust my reloads, I do more than store bought, but in case I am ever involved in a shooting I don't want the argument of he loaded them hot looking for trouble.

I load for 8 different pistol calibers and 9 different rifle calibers, all on the same press. I think my startup costs were well under $300 and I guarantee I have saved at least four times that much in reloading my own ammo. I shoot much more and enjoy the time in "the cave". Need to stay focused and it's a good excuse to block the rigors of every day life for a few hours.

Some guys on here have far more rounds loaded and use the high end stuff, but the Lee has worked very well for me and I haven't had to do a thing to it.
Old November 9, 2012, 08:40 AM   #3
Sparks1957

Quote:
it would take me a few years to justify the cost
Start small to medium in scale. I figure I have nearly paid for my reloading equipment over the past 6 months alone, since I shoot a couple hundred rounds a week of 3 pistol calibers.

Buy a single-stage or turret press, and you can always work up in scale if your needs change
Old November 9, 2012, 09:14 AM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

If it would take you 4 years to save $1,200 you don't shoot enough to justify the cost of a progressive.

I would recommend a Lee Classic turret. You can load at least 200 rounds per hour and all the associated parts are much cheaper. The press is around $100 and additional turrets are about $12, $36 for three. Add in the cost of your 4 die sets (about $150 total) and you're in under $300. Figure an additional $200 for shipping and various accessories. $500 total cost.
Old November 9, 2012, 09:17 AM   #5
dopar66

+1 for Lee

Except I'd go with the single stage with the quick change bushings. It's called the Breech Lock Challenger kit. I have not used the turret press, but read some reviews that said minor play in the turret could cause inconsistencies in overall length. I opted for the Challenger kit, sale price right at $100, and picked up carbide dies.

My forgetter gets better with age, so not fully recalling the "link to a retail website" policy, I'll just mention that this particular kit is available at practically all the major retailer websites. It's capable of putting out decent ammo.

Edit because I forgot to mention why I prefer the bushings. Once you get your dies set exactly the way you want them, you leave the die in the bushing. You remove the entire bushing to change dies. When you return to that die weeks or months from now there is practically zero set up time. The bushings to "return to zero" pretty well, so you still get consistency at acceptable levels for hunting or plinking ammo.
Old November 9, 2012, 09:18 AM   #6
jmortimer

^ Agree with all the above sound advice. I use mine in single stage mode. Regardless of how you uee it, it is worth every penny.
Old November 9, 2012, 09:22 AM   #7
Stressfire

You don't necessarily need top of the line equipment to start out.

I picked up a second hand Spar T, RCBS Uniflow, & RCBS balance scale for $30. The cases I had already been saving up, so all I needed were the other components.

RCBS 9mm dies: $50. Pound of Bullseye: $20. 1000 MBC 125gr bullets: $80. 1000 Winchester primers: $40

Total investment: $200 - $300

I use a friend's tumbler

No need to go whole hog to start out. Get enough to get started (and learn fundamentals), then save up along the way for better gear.
Old November 9, 2012, 09:24 AM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopar66
I have not used the turret press, but read some reviews that said minor play in the turret could cause inconsistencies in overall length.
Not to start a debate on that topic but I don't think it's true. The "play" is taken up when the handle is raised because the force pushes the turret to the top of it's travel. I haven't seen any problems. In fact, my OAL variations are a lot less than I frequently see reported on the forum. Plus, I load varmint rounds for my .204 that routinely shoot no worse than 1/2 MOA at 100. So whatever theoretical problem there might be is causing very small error, if any at all.

Besides which, the OP has mentioned only pistol calibers at this point, for which minor variations would be completely irrelevant. Certainly, the speed advantages over a single stage would more than offset any perceived shortcoming in this area.
Old November 9, 2012, 09:37 AM   #9
hounddawg

unless you go through a serious amount ammo a progressive is a waste of money, I used a turret with great success for several years before I dropped money on a progressive. There is another thread on this page which shows alternative methods of cleaning brass w/o using a tumbler or other expensive equipment.

I always buy store ammo to break in new guns, and am always shocked at the cost. Even 100 rounds of 9mm will run 20 cents a round these days. 45 ACP and 38sp double that.

primers are still around 3 - 4 cents, 45 ACP hard cast lead bullets about 8 cents and there are 7000 grains per pound of powder. For my 45 ACP load using W231 that means more than 1500 loads for 25 - 30 dollars worth of powder. Buy it in 8 lb jugs for a lot less.

Might not be worth it if you shoot 50 or 100 rounds of 9mm a month, but if you shoot a lot or need precision rifle bullets it is worth every dime. During the winter months I will go through five or six hundred rounds of pistol ammo a month so it is a good deal for me

edit excuse the offtopic but what powder and powder throw do you use for the .204 Brian? Neither my Hornady or Lee powder throw works worth a darn for RL 10 or Varget as far as consistency of + or - .1 throws

Last edited by hounddawg; November 9, 2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old November 9, 2012, 11:00 AM   #10
ROGER4314

Many years ago, I had the reloading shop of my dreams where I also cast and sized my own bullets and loaded 12 and 20 gauge shotgun shells. I sold the house and most of the gear and even though I still reloaded, it was on a small scale and I always had to "make do".

After I retired, a friend came over, we cleaned out my spare bedroom and I created my "bucket list" reloading area! Reloading is great for a retired man! I have two Dillon RL550B presses and my old faithful RCBS Rock Chucker with every conceivable accessory and do-dad. In all, I've owned 6 Dillon progressives depending on how you count. I rebuilt an older RL450 and completely converted it into an RL550B so I counted that one twice.....snicker.

I would start with a single stage press so you can learn how the dies operate and adjust. There's a lot going on in a progressive and it can be difficult to adjust unless you have an intimate knowledge of what each component is doing. Later, if you get a progressive, the single stage can still do many tasks for you

The main difference in progressives and single stage loaders is the batch process. In the progressive, you make one complete round at a time. In a single stage, you take 50-100 rounds and work each operation on the entire batch while storing them in loading blocks as a group. Single stage reloading can be very fast if you know how to do it.

If you feel comfortable with the dies, then move to a progressive. The Dillon "Square Deal" is for pistol rounds and the caliber conversions are expensive ($84 each) as the SD press uses proprietary, non standard dies which are included in the conversion. The press is simply too small for my gigantic hands but it does auto index the turret. I sold my SD press.

I have two Dillon RL 550B presses. One is set up for large primers and one for small primers. The 550B uses interchangeable tool heads so all of your dies can remain on the toolhead, properly adjusted if they are not being used. It takes about $100-120 to set up one toolhead and I have 11 of them!

RL550B presses have automatic primer feed, auto powder feed and auto loaded round eject. They don't auto index but I prefer it that way as it's easier to clear a problem.

I don't use the Dillon "strong base" mount and that lower mount allows me to load seated in a huge leather office chair...........and in air conditioned comfort!

The coolest part is that when I go to the range and shoot 120 9mm rounds, I put the 9mm toolhead in the press, change the shellplate (one bolt) set the powder measure and load 120 rounds. There's no need to load massive quantities of ammo. I just load what I need.

Other rounds that I don't load in quantity like 32 S&W long can still be done on the Rock Chucker.

In the 25-30 years that I've used RCBS and Dillon products, both companies have done handsprings to help me with any issue that came up. Two big thumbs up to both of them!

That's my "take" on it.

Flash
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reloading 1 9-12-2012.jpg (175.3 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by ROGER4314; November 9, 2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old November 9, 2012, 11:13 AM   #11
serf 'rett

The primary question is how many rounds do you shoot per year and in what caliber?

If you are shooting 200 9mm rounds every 4 months you will not save near as much as if you are burning 400 rounds every 2 weeks. My start up cost of $600, RCBS Rockchucker kit plus other stuff, was recouped at about 4000 rounds of 9mm. Payback period is even faster for other calibers.

A secondary question is do you want custom ammo tuned for your pistol or revolver?
Old November 9, 2012, 11:42 AM   #12
max it

Vito, Go Dillon and you wont regret it.
I have 5 presses including two Dillon 550's
the others never get used: Lee Progressive, Lee single stage, RCBS Jr single stage.
Get the basic 550 either from Dillon or look on eBay or gun broker. No fear Dillon will always help you just call them.
Also no need for electronic scales, get Lee for $25.
No need for better dies get Lee Deluxe pistol sets. They always include enough load data to start. Hence no need for other books. Calipers, tumbler-got a Harbor Freight store? Media to tumble brass? Walmart bird stuff; crushed walnut shell. no liquid needed but sometimes I use anything with ammonia in it, Like Butch's Bore shine. or car cleaner.

Not to take away from what others said, after four years I love the ability to make my own and not worry about costs.

keep your powder dry.

Max
Old November 9, 2012, 12:22 PM   #13
Exibar

for a first timer, I highly recommend the 'Lee Anniversary set'... it comes with everything you need except for dies and tumbler...
It'll run you about $125 - $150 including a separate purchase of Lee dies. It's a single stage similar to the RCBS rock chucker but you'll learn how to reload the proper way, and with limited cash outlay too....

any dies you purchase, you can use on a future progressive... along with the scale, case prep tools, etc....

Mike B
Old November 9, 2012, 12:44 PM   #14
Don P

Quote:
If it would take you 4 years to save $1,200 you don't shoot enough to justify the cost of a progressive.

I would recommend a Lee Classic turret. You can load at least 200 rounds per hour and all the associated parts are much cheaper. The press is around $100 and additional turrets are about $12, $36 for three. Add in the cost of your 4 die sets (about $150 total) and you're in under $300. Figure an additional $200 for shipping and various accessories. $500 total cost.
I concur, start out spending short money for your equipment with the possibility that you may not like reloading. All my reloading equipment is made by Lee with the exception of my tumbler. 20,000 rounds and counting without issue loading 5 calibers
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 9, 2012, 01:00 PM   #15
Exibar

and you really can't beat the value of the Lee Anniversary set.... less than $150 and you're rolling your own...

Sure a Dillon is like a Cadillac with second to none customer service to boot... BUT, it's 4 times the price of the Lee kit just for the press... Save purchasing a Dillon for after you know how to reload and know that you want to keep reloading...

Mike B
Old November 9, 2012, 01:17 PM   #16
RC20

Years back I got a RCBS set and am still using it.

It is a terrific hobby retired or not.

It got put away for 30 years, but came out and my load counts are low enough. It seems like progressives have too much adjustment for what I do and then switch to a different round and go through it again.

Now I added a "Chukcer) when I moved to rifle from pistol, and I have not added an inexpensive electronic scale (good for quick checks though I keep the balance scale handy)

You can find used equipment (or used never been used). My brother gave me all his old stuff so I have another Chucker, a higher and a higher end sale.

Go with carbide dies and get the 4 set. Pick up a junior for the seating and or crimp if you do that.

I would get the heavy duty set (if Lee is it) or a combo RCBS with the Chucker.

Even if you go progressive, the singles still come in handy.

Also I would invest in the RCBS universal priming tool.(s)

I hate the ones on the presses, the RCBS is hand friendly (arthritis) and you can run any round through the thing without moving the shell holder into it. You can feel the primer set far better.

I actually got two, one for small base and one for large so I don't have to change the guts.
Old November 9, 2012, 01:34 PM   #17
Mike40-11

Another vote for the Lee Anniversary kit. I don't think there's a better deal going for getting started. 200 bucks and you're rolling, including a die set and basic accessories like calipers and loading blocks.

I have a Dillon 550B for volume but I still use my original Lee Classic single stage for most of the rifle stuff. The only part that I don't like about it is resetting the dies every time since it's an older model without the bushings. With the Breech Lock system they come with now, the biggest hassle of single stage is eliminated.
Old November 9, 2012, 01:34 PM   #18
tkglazie

One nice thing about buying a LCT or a high quality single stage is that you will always get use out of it in the future, even if you do end up buying a progressive down the road. I started with a LCT and a cheap single stage for prep work. Eentually I will add a progressive for the 2-3 most common cartridges that I shoot 500+ per month of just to save time. The LCT will still get plenty of use for my revolver and lever gun loading, plus load workups.

As long as you buy quality reloading equipment you cant really go wrong.

good luck

edit- another nice benefit of starting out a little bit on the low end press-wise is you can spend more on the accessories, tools, benches, etc. I ended up spending just about exactly $1000 on my complete reloading setup for 4 calibers. Half of that money was spent on the goodies that make the process easily and more effective- tons of ammo boxes, dry boxes, measuring equipment, a tumbler, nice press stand, chrono, etc. The most expensive part was the LCT kit at $197.

Last edited by tkglazie; November 9, 2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old November 9, 2012, 03:25 PM   #19
A pause for the COZ

Even if you want to start with a progressive. ( I dont recommend that) That does not mean you have to drop big bucks on one.
There is nothing particularly wrong with a LEE load master. Esp for lower to mid volume needs.
Or buy used I have 6 presses That I have total of $500 into.

Got this one for $150 and it knocks out 357's and 223's fast enough.

Old November 10, 2012, 09:47 AM   #20
vito

I appreciate all of the good advice since this is all totally new for me. I went to the Lee website and it seems like the Lee Classic Turret Press plus some dies for the calibers I want, plus some type of case cleaning machine would be all I would need to get started at a much lower cost that the Dillon equipment. The single stage press would be a bit less expensive, but it appears that the turret press would be just as easy to use and avoid the extra effort of storing cartridges part way through the process while I change dies for the different operations. Being that my only exposure to reloading was that one NRA class I took, can I expect the instructional material with the Lee equipment to walk me through the process easily enough for me to do this on my own? I'm getting excited about getting into this whole thing.
Old November 10, 2012, 09:54 AM   #21
jmortimer

Yes Yes and Yes and get Modern Reloading by Richard Lee. There is a video on the Lee Precision web site and videos on You Tube, but get Modern Reloading. Grafs has a great "kit" deal. You will be very happy with your purchase. This kit has Modern Reloading and everything else you will need for $200.00
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/23840
I wanted to add that I like to keep it simple, I use powder dippers and use a hand primer and prime off the press. You could get the Classic Turret, a couple extra turrets, some dies, a funnel, some dippers, Modern Reloading, and a scale to check your dipper charges along with some powder, primers and bullets and use the turret in single stage mode. It is slower but I like to keep it simple.
Here is a good source https://fsreloading.com/

Last edited by jmortimer; November 10, 2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old November 10, 2012, 12:06 PM   #22
ltc444

Roger to Roger 4134.

I started with a single stage Rockchucker and an RCBS ammo crafter kit back in 1975. Contemplate going to a progressive every 6 months. Never have probably never will.
Old November 10, 2012, 01:54 PM   #23
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopar66 in post #5
I have not used the turret press, but read some reviews that said minor play in the turret could cause inconsistencies in overall length.
The play in the turret is something that all turrets have in common. Some more than others and some turrets (those with a center mount rather than Lee's rim mounting) allow the turret head to tilt slightly, too.

Another press that allows some movement of the die in relation to the ram it the VERY GOOD Forster co-ax.

If the amount of movement is precisely the same every time, you should experience no inconsistencies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito post #20
The single stage press would be a bit less expensive, but it appears that the turret press would be just as easy to use and avoid the extra effort of storing cartridges part way through the process while I change dies for the different operations.
If you load in batches (which most of us recommend when you are first starting out) it is easier to exercise quality control (and safety procedures), storing a batch of 50 or 20 partially completed cartridges is easy enough. A loading block (or two) does the trick. You can buy one for about $7 or make one with a 2x6 and a drill.

Picture this: You have 50 cases arranged in a loading block and shine a flashlight into all the case mouths. In this way, you can clearly see that all your powder charges are (at least approximately) the same and MOST IMPORTANTLY that you have no cases double-charged or lacking a charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito
can I expect the instructional material with the Lee equipment to walk me through the process easily enough for me to do this on my own?
No. Lee's instructions that come with the equipment is sparse. But there are videos on the web made by helpful Lee owners that are excellent. Lee's customer service by email (in my experience) or on the phone (by reports I have read) are good.

Check out Kempf's Gun Shop online. Sue Kempf uses a Classic Turret herself and is very helpful. Kempf's Classic Turret kit is excellent, includes dies and does not force you to take the Lee scale (which some find difficult to use - if you never learned how to use a vernier scale).

Good luck. Thanks for asking our advice.

Lost Sheep