The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 26, 2012, 08:55 AM   #26
Unclenick
Staff

Sounds like the shortages are local which probably means the panic is local. There have been some large government ammunition orders made to use up budget surpluses by the end of the budget year, even if they don't really need the stock. It's one of the things they do to keep their budgets from being reduced the following year. An example of the management incentives being wrong in government organization, meaning not geared toward efficiency and saving.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 26, 2012, 11:01 PM   #27
dickttx

I ordered 10K of CCI SPP and LPP from Powder Valley yesterday. They are on their way to me already. Total of $302. I went by a local gun shop near me this afternoon and they are $4.99 per hundred. I could have bought 16# of powder from PV for the difference in price.
Old October 27, 2012, 05:51 PM   #28
Mac Sidewinder

I just received 8k spp, and 2k spm from Powder Valley a week ago. They always seem to have some in stock (or are out only for a short while). Their price of $26/k sure is alot cheaper than the local guys around here (at $40/k). I would rather support locally but I'm not going to cut my own throat to do so.

I haven't noticed any shortage here in Illinois (land of NO carry).

Mac
Old October 27, 2012, 08:29 PM   #29
Mike38

Strange I should open this thread today. I went to a gun show in Princeton Illinois this morning. One thing I noticed was the amount of primers available. Literally tens of thousands of primers available, and this was the lowest turn out vendor wise in many years. Lots of empty or near empty tables today, but seemed like every other table there had bricks of primers for sale. No price increases from the last show either. So in my neck of the woods, there is no primer shortage.
Old October 28, 2012, 12:29 PM   #30
Ozzieman

There are a lot of gun shows throughout Indiana, you might want to check there.
Two weeks ago in the Fort I picked up small, large pistol and small rifle for 34$ /thousand. He also had specials for case size buys.
There were a lot of people there with primers.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old October 29, 2012, 11:19 AM   #31
max it

primers

around here they are $30.00/m
all brands.
what gets me is guys who dont give you a clue as to where in the USA they are

keep your powder dry,
Max
Old October 29, 2012, 05:48 PM   #32
Ozzieman

what gets me is guys who dont give you a clue as to where in the USA they are
Since he is in Indiana and a Hoosier he probably knows where the "FORT" is, as in Fort Wayne.
Us hicks got to stay together.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old October 29, 2012, 08:15 PM   #33
CADILLAC HOOSIER

Ozzieman-we're from the lower end of the state but had a great time in the Fort last spring! Once a HOOSIER, always a Hoosier. I'm going back tomorrow and buy some more primers if he has them. We are in the sticks without many suppliers. Load safe, shoot safe. HOOSIER
Old October 30, 2012, 05:58 PM   #34
Ozzieman

If you have a chance in January save your money and get your primers at the gun show in Indy. If you haven’t been there its one of the top shows in the US. Over 1000 tables. I have bought more guns there then I want to admit.

http://www.indy1500.com/

Old November 1, 2012, 08:17 PM   #35
PoiDog

I was at a gun show last Saturday, and there were so many primers they couldn't be counted. Tens of thousands at one table alone.

Of course, the prices really stunk, primers I usually pay $30 per thousand were going for $40 per thousand. The usual stuff just before an election.

I did pick up some for another vendor than the one mentioned above, for normal prices. Well, normal for the last couple of years, anyway. $30ish.
Old November 1, 2012, 08:22 PM   #36
W.E.G.

I still have primers from the Bill Clinton primer shortage.
Old November 2, 2012, 06:11 AM   #37
rebs

I had posted earlier that there was no problem buying cci 400 primers, bullets or powder locally here, but yesterday when I went to buy primers I bought the last two bricks of cci 400's that he had. He said he ordered more but they haven't come in yet. Kind of looks like the panic buying is starting in my neck of the woods also.
Old November 2, 2012, 11:42 AM   #38
Old 454

For the Hoosiers out there try Kempf's in Michigan City no problem getting primers there.
Old November 2, 2012, 09:43 PM   #39
Colorado Redneck

Local Sportsmans--no Rem SPP or Federal SPP. Midway has some SPP but some brands out of stock. It will suck if components get really scarce. Are wholesalers cutting back supplies or are manufacturers slow for some reason? The military was blamed for the 2009 shortage, along with self induced paranoia over gun control legislation that never happened. Military demand should be less than 3 years ago. Guess a guy could buy a lifetime supply, but that is adding fuel to the fire.
Old November 3, 2012, 12:38 PM   #40
rajbcpa

No spp here in lgs for months now. Around here' the shortage is real.
Old November 4, 2012, 07:24 AM   #41
TheNatureBoy

Plenty of primers in my garage, I mean the local gun shops in my area.