The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 8, 2012, 05:13 PM   #51
Pistol-Addiction

My wifes' just blew up today!

Decided to shoot my wife's LC9 today and lo and behold the extractor comes flying out with the extractor plunger somewhere into my lawn. The gun is about two months old and has had about 60 rounds through it. I immediately called Ruger and they already sent me a shipping label via email, so they are 'making good' sort of speak. I googled this to see if anyone else had any issues and found this thread, never been here before but registered to voice my concern. Pretty disheartening since I own two other Ruger models and have never had an issue. My only hope is that this is a one time fix. Obviously there is an issue with this model. BTW, i was shooting Winchester white box ammo.
Old April 28, 2012, 09:32 PM   #52
us2jmp

ruger lc9 extractor

the comments regarding the ruger lc9 extractor & extractor spring problems have been very helpful. today, i was inserting a loaded magazine in my lc9, as i released the slide assembly to chamber a round...pieces flew off of my gun. after examining what the problem was, i noticed the extractor, extractor spring, and pin were all missing! fortunately i found the spring & extractor. uncertain as to why this happened and what to do - I searched the web and found these threads regarding the same issues. I will contact ruger asap and hope they remedy this on-going weapon failure! thanks again for the help.
Old April 28, 2012, 09:49 PM   #53
fivepaknh

Went the range with mine again this past week. Another hundred rounds and no issues. That's 300 rounds so far without a blip. It shoots a little high, but other than no problems.

Weird how all these new members are having issues. Do a search on the LC9 and the majority of posts are positive from long time members. The only consistant complaint is a crappy trigger.
Old April 28, 2012, 11:53 PM   #54
LockedBreech

The same type of failure being reported is troubling, and not typical of Ruger. A friend of mine was about to buy the LC9 as her first gun to use with her CHL. I may have to tell her to wait a bit, or opt for the Walther PPS.

I do agree that new member complaints need to be treated with a grain of salt. Always possible it's one person with a spoofed IP address and multiple accounts who had a particularly bad experience.
Old April 29, 2012, 08:29 AM   #55
Strafer Gott

Most of the raving has been for LCP. I have to wonder how Ruger handled the much hotter 9mm. This quest for the ultimate small auto will not always be successful. IMHO! Impugning new contributors is no way to grow a blog. IMHO!
Ruger CS is great because they need it to stay in business. Some of their products are great, others not so much. Same as it ever was. IMHO.
Old May 17, 2012, 09:03 AM   #56
DividedWeFall

Something's fishy with this thread.

A gun dealer friend of mine had numerous negative reviews of his shop posted and was convinced they were bogus so he took action and filed a suit in order to have the records of who was posting the negative comments.

Sure enough, it turned out that they were all posted by a nearby competitor.

It's sad to think that America would become like that, but unfortunately, things like this do occur.

That said, if this is an issue with LC9's, Ruger must address this and correct the problem.
Often times, sub components are contracted out to various companies in various parts of the world. If all these accounts are true, then I'm sure Ruger is correcting or has already corrected the problem.

I would bet a dollar to a donut, the bulk of these complaints fall within a limited serial number range...assuming they are all legitimate complaints. Like all gun manufacturers, first gen weapons often have issues that need to be worked out.

The LC9 is a VERY popular selling handgun. So, not only are there already a large number of them out there, but as much as I dislike thinking it, some companies will stoop to any low to hurt their competition.

Should my LC9 ever do this, I will be the first to post about it. I've only fired 100 rounds so far, but so far so good.
Old May 17, 2012, 09:43 AM   #57
9mm

I put 125 rounds in my LC9 the only problem is the sights.

The trigger pull is amazing, slow build up and no problems.

The sights suck, I aim for the center chest @ 7 yards it shoots like on the legs (5 inches down) but if I aim for center head shots its only like 2-3 inches off.

This is normal for me on small barrels, because on Full size handguns I can get the tight groupings. I tried the laser and it helped some what.

When shooting my 38 its the same, bad groups. Must be the DAO/ and small barrel that makes this. But these are great pocket guns for close ranges, I will use my Glock if needed for a longer range.

I havn't heard any bad reviews on it, Ruger makes good guns, and they won 2012/11?? handgun award lc9.

Yes the LC9 will fit in your pocket, I have the laser installed and it works great in my pocket.
Old May 29, 2012, 01:32 AM   #58
MMAXX

my hammer spring and firing pin were replaced after 250 rds by Ruger after it broke. I used winchester wb ammo. I fired another 150 rds with no problems then I sold it.
Old May 29, 2012, 06:51 PM   #59
Sturmgewehre

The truth is, all handguns can and do fail. This failure isn't representative of the LC9 product in general and is an isolated case of a catastrophic failure. Such oddities can, and do, happen to just about any handgun or rifle maker. If there were a rash of such failures, then there might be an issue with the design or metallurgy of the LC9. Plus, we don't know exactly what was at fault in this case, it could just as easily be the fault of the ammo.

As it stands it's just "one of those things". I owned a LC9 for sometime. While I didn't have any failures such as this, I did trade it off for other reasons - I wasn't impressed with the pistol. But if you like the features of the LC9 I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying one based on this single report of a failure.
Old May 29, 2012, 07:08 PM   #60
marklyftogt

If you cannot erase the doubt from your mind the answer is easy. Sell the gun and get a different one...a revolver preferably.

I would rather have 5/6 controllable and accurate shots as opposed to 10 that may miss the mark.
Old May 29, 2012, 08:00 PM   #61
Sport45

What gun can you buy that has not had a failure once for somebody?
Old May 29, 2012, 08:19 PM   #62
Marquezj16

I'm sure the LC9 has had it's problems, but I can't help but notice the 1 and done post from the owners who had the problem.
Old September 16, 2013, 12:32 PM   #63
TXShootem

LC9 Extractor Failure

Newbie here and not a conspirator ... like most that have had a problem with anything these days, we search the internet to see if anyone else has had this problem and how did they resolve it.

I bought my Ruger LC9 in Feb 2012 for home/self defense and have probably shot 150-200 rounds thru it since then when I noticed that it quit ejecting and would jam every shot fired. However, I hadn't cleaned it so I thought it may be dirty or I had bought some new ammo and thought that maybe it could be the problem. The new ammo I bought was Blazer Brass 115 grain full metal jacket. I cleaned the gun and tried to again shoot it this past weekend and it jammed after the first shot. I am not a firearms expert and was shooting with a buddy who said "let me see that" and I handed it to him. He immediately said, "no wonder, your extractor is missing"! I had no idea, but after he pointed it out, I realized he was correct. I searched the web over this past weekend and found this old thread.

Although there seems to be a few doubters on here, it seems that there are several people who have had this same problem. Using their advice I called Ruger this morning and talked to their service dept. The guy seemed a little short with me; however, he sent me a UPS return label via e-mail with instructions to send from a UPS Service Center and stated that it would take 7-10 days to repair it.

I am disappointed that it broke, but it seems that Ruger is willing to make it right and that is what matters most to me when anything that I own breaks. I have attached a few pictures to support the claim and show the hole from the missing extractor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0283s.jpg (85.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0285s.jpg (104.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0288s.jpg (111.0 KB, 42 views)
Old September 16, 2013, 01:20 PM   #64
MJFlores

Yeah, could be just a few people bashing Ruger. If you do a search out on the web I dont see anyone listing issues with their Ruger LC9's, and Ruger hasn't issued a recall. I bought one for my GF about a month ago, she only has about 300 rounds through it but no issues at all. I have an LCP..we all know it's similar and no issues in almost 400 rounds through it. I dont know, I wouldn't let a few posts stop me from buying one given all the positive reports you can easily dig up.
Old September 23, 2013, 06:44 PM   #65
TXShootem

Ruger LC9 Extractor Failure Update

Just wanted to follow up on my LC9 extractor failure as I got my gun back from Ruger today via UPS. I have attached a couple of pics as well as the packing slip which tells what they did to repair it. The technician also stated that they recommend not using steel case or +P bullets ... I have not used either one. I did go out to the back of my property and pump about 25 rounds thru it quickly tonight and it worked flawlessly again. Although I am disappointed the failure occurred, I am extremely happy with the way Ruger treated my failure and their expeditious free repair. Thanks to the people here who posted their failures and comments on how to proceed with Ruger to correct the failures ... it is appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0298[1].jpg (244.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0299[1].jpg (245.7 KB, 44 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ruger LC9 Repair Packing Slip.pdf (58.2 KB, 35 views)
Old September 23, 2013, 09:27 PM   #66
bada61265

hi im new here thought it a good spot to start, I have a LC9 and love it. the first time I shot it I had a case blow out and the extractor went flying. was at an indoor range and the extractor flew out sideways. so right there I have my doubts if someone claimed they were hit in the head with it. It was a defective reload. blew a BB size hole just above the rim and was fully in battery when it went off. I found all the parts on the floor below me and a little later had it all back together and running fine. ive got another 200 rounds threw it now "no reloads" and its been 100%. the extractor is held in place by the plunger which acts like a pivot. Its point is a wedge shape slightly off center and obviously is supposed to fit in one way. I could see where having this pivot reversed could cause a problem. at least in my reassembly and based on what I observed . it would seem to be pretty beefy with quite a bit of width where it contacts the case rim. but the design is not pinned in place and some kind of blow out due to a cracked case or some other circumstance where gasses could blow back past the case into the breach area could indeed like in my case blow that sucker out of there. I sincerely doubt if it would hit the shooter unless it bounced off something or your shooting gansta style "in which case you need to back off the TV police dramas"
Old February 22, 2014, 09:16 PM   #67
oldNewbie

Barrel lug crack

I discovered a crack in the barrel lug of my LC9 after about 250-300 rounds of factory target loads. It's on its way back to Ruger. I found another just like mine in the Ruger forum:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7322/9...3614ab6e_o.jpg

I'm not happy but have a Bulldog Pug in .44 Special and a Taurus 85 that I can carry in the meantime.
Old February 23, 2014, 08:31 AM   #68
Kreyzhorse

My buddy has an LC9 and while it hasn't been trouble free, it hasn't had any FTF or FTE through roughly 500 rounds or so.

It did have an issue where the mag refused to stay seated in the gun and would often drop out at the range or if simply bumped in the holster.

It required two trips back to Ruger to fix the issue (Ruger replaced the mag latch twice and told my buddy that "He must hold the mag latch all the way in through the entire process of removing the mag or inserting a mag and that this is a common problem with the LC9") which is finally resolved.

During the second return trip, they also replaced his laser sight even though the did not report an issues with it.

In my opinion, the LC9 isn't Ruger's greatest offering but it's a decent gun. Ruger has great customer service and will make sure it runs they way it should.
Old March 31, 2014, 01:09 PM   #69
oldNewbie

Barrel crack

Ruger got my LC9 back to me in about 2.5 weeks. They replaced the barrel and fired 35 rounds through it with no malfunctions, according to the packing slip. I haven't fired it yet but if there are further issues, I'll let you all know.

Tags
9mm , extractor , failure , lc9 , ruger