The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 15, 2008, 09:50 PM   #1
ligonierbill

.38 Special AA#5

I finally polished up all the .38 Special cases I had and primed 100 of them. I have some Hornady 125 grain XTP on hand, along with a can of AA#5. As usual, I checked several references, and was surprised at the variation. Hornady says 7.6 grain max as a +P load. Accurate Arms says 7.1 max +P with Speer 125 JHP. Speer says 7.8 grains standard load with a DNR note. Speer +P is 8.1, with their 125 JHP of course. I'm used to seeing some differences, but this seems excessive. A full grain of #5 in this case is a lot. And Speer says do not reduce a load above the other's max. They all tested with K frames, which is what I'm shooting (Model 66-2). I may end up using these in a J frame also. Anyone have experience with this load?
Old July 15, 2008, 11:04 PM   #2
joneb

Quote:
Anyone have experience with this load?
No.
Quote:
I may end up using these in a J frame also
What J frame ?
Old July 15, 2008, 11:14 PM   #3
armoredman

From my journal, used in a 4" Smith Model 10-8.

125gr FP/XTP, Mixed brass, 5.3grAA#5, 1.450 COAL, Outstanding!
Old July 16, 2008, 10:51 AM   #4
Slamfire

I have plenty of experience with AA#5 in 44 Spl and 45LC. And the basic, fundamental problem with Accurate Arms powders is that each lot is different. At least different enough that you really need to conduct your own load development to determine what a safe and proper load should be.

I carefully researched several loading manuals, and the various editions of Accurate Arms manuals to determine a good and safe load in 44 Spl. The latest Accurate Arms manual had very low start charges, compared to other sources. So I followed the AA manual, and found their recommended loads resulted in poor accuracy, lots of unburnt powder, and low velocities. Essentially what I am saying is , Accurate Arms own loading data is not good. And further research shows that their load data varies considerably between editions.

So, what I am going to recommend, is that you buy a chronograph, do your own load development, and create a good load with your powder lot. And then, once you have used that lot of AA#5, do not be surprised if the next lot is totally different.
Old July 16, 2008, 06:25 PM   #5
ligonierbill

Have the chronograph, and I always work up loads. Just trying to save some time on starting loads.
Old July 20, 2008, 10:44 AM   #6
dogfood

I'd just like to echo what SF1 stated. I have also found Accurate powder to have considerable lot-to-lot variation. The lot of #5 I'm using now seems to be considerably faster than what their Number One manual suggests ... such that I am into pressure problems long before reaching the maximum listed charges. I have found the same to be true with 2460.

dogfood