The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 8, 2008, 04:18 PM   #1
GunCrazyinGA

looking for a shotgun for home defense

I am new to the shotgun scene. I have a few handguns and a Rock River Arms AR-15, but I am looking a good, reliable shotgun, in either a pump or semi. I need some help to figure out which would be a good one to go with.
Old May 8, 2008, 04:30 PM   #2
Zombie Steve

You can't go wrong with a Mossberg 500 / 590 or a Remington 870. There's a ton of variants and aftermarket products should you decide to customize...
Old May 8, 2008, 04:35 PM   #3
Rob96

Quote:
You can't go wrong with a Mossberg 500 / 590 or a Remington 870.
Exactly. Go out and check both out, and buy the one that feels best to you.
Old May 8, 2008, 04:57 PM   #4
BigJimP

Lots of discussions lately on this - but I would also recommend you check out the offerings from Wilson Combat ( they have 3 or 4 models ) - and the Benelli M4 as a semi-auto option.
Old May 8, 2008, 05:52 PM   #5
wnycollector

Another vote for the 870 or mossy 500 models! Good solid values.
Old May 8, 2008, 07:52 PM   #6
Ferd

the Saiga S-12 is on my wish list but is hard to find. for home defense the saiga 20gauge would be good too and easier to find. again, a mossy 500 or rem 870 are always a great choice too
Old May 8, 2008, 08:17 PM   #7
Superhouse 15

HD Gun

I'm a lefty and the 500 is more lefty / ambi friendly if that matters to you. Even if you're not a lefty the layout of your particular home might have some places where you may have to fire left handed to remain behind cover or move around left-handed corners. Although I have a bunch of shotguns, right now the one loaded for home defense is a 500HD in .410 with S&B buckshot in it and a couple of boxes of buckshot and Remington slugs close by.
Old May 8, 2008, 08:47 PM   #8
JP Sarte

Short as legally possible with the highest capacity magazine you can get.
Old May 8, 2008, 10:04 PM   #9
.351winchester

While I think the reliability and all the practical speed nessesary make a pump the better HD weapon, will be getting a Mossberg 930 SPX this month. For me it had that rare, magic, perfect fit and function. Never used an auto before or thought much of them due to arguably inherent reliability issues, but I have not heard a bad word about the 930, quite the opposite, everyone loves theirs. SPX is an elite tactical auto but half the price of it's next cheapest competitor, all of which it could hang with all day long. The HS model is also excellent for HD and possibly better due to more simplicity.

I also like the Remington 870 Express Synthetic 7-shot, its like a black Marine Magnum. Very economical choice. The Benelli Supernova is also very appealing, the Desert camo model in particular. Also a very good bargain. If I was into 3 gun I'd definately get a Rem. 1100 Competition Master and let it pull double duty for HD. The 590 SP is a modern day trench gun, bayonet lug/heat sheild and all. This is toughness at its finest. Something to have complete confidence in, no ifs, ands, or buts. Steel safety available. I prefer the Mossberg tang safety, and a full, traditional stock, works best for me. I feel a bead is not only adequate, but ideal for HD (still, fell in love with the SPX's GRs, only ones I ever liked), due to speed and accuracy at close range. I also believe a 20 gauge is as good, and for some, a better choice than a 12 ga. A lot of ordinary sporting 20 ga. Bantam/youth shotguns would be as good for HD as a Benelli M4, IMO.

That's the thing about shotguns. A Maverick or NEF riot gun are as good as any. But compared to rifles and pistols, the very best and refined are fairly affordable. So there is a tendency to go with the better weapon.
Some/most autos can get up there in price, but fighting pumpguns are all fairly inexpensive save for the custom grade Wilsons.

I reccomend the training material by Louis Awerbuck, he's the man when it comes to the combat shotgun. Shotty-specific, not generalized gunfighting techniques.

Good luck in finding the right one for you. In a way I think the HD weapon is your most important, your family, your castle depend on it. Do visualization/scenario thinking and actually give it a dry run. Let these discoveries factor in to your choice too (i.e., you may find a pistol grip stock works better for you, or something ambi-friendly. You may find you're better off leaving it as a fixed-position weapon, wherein a longer barrel could be an asset. Will you be forced to use a certain load, and will is cycle in an auto. Would you use it as an impact weapon in tight quarters, would a wood stock and thicker barrel/mag tube be preferable. Do you need a light and how would it be most comfortable and positive to use (in hand, mount it, if so where at). What if any other tacical accessories would be worth having/of genuine benefit/improvement. That stuff. It's very personal, not just to your body, but your dwelling and tactics. Very specialized firearm, and the best selection is really what works best for you. find out what that is)

Last edited by .351winchester; May 9, 2008 at 02:09 AM.
Old May 9, 2008, 01:44 AM   #10
Rampant_Colt

Old May 10, 2008, 06:28 PM   #11
LanceOregon

First off, let me say that a shotgun is NOT the best home defense gun. A good full sized high capacity semi-auto pistol is by far your best option.

Shotguns are far bigger and thus more difficult to store in a convenient location that you will have quick and easy access to. Their size also makes negotiating tight areas like a home's hallways more difficult.

Pump action shotguns also have vicious recoil when used with buckshot self-defense loads. The average person is going to have a problem dealing with that.

A full size quality semi-auto handgun in 9mm or .40 S&W would make far greater sense. Something like a Glock, S&W M&P, or Springfield XD would give you from 15 to 17 rounds in those calibers. Add a laser and/or flashlight to the gun, and you will be very well set to defend your home.

I rely on a customized Glock 17 myself.

If you absolutely must get a combat shotgun, consider a semiauto instead of a pump. The good brands of semiautos are 100% reliable, and the recoil will be significantly lighter, due to the gun's gas action. You also don't have to use a big magnum load or Buckshot load when shooting inside a home. A field load of #4 birdshot will get the job done just as well at inside home ranges. And the recoil will be far less, allowing for faster recovery and more rapid fire ( if needed ).

By all means do STAY AWAY from the civilian Benelli M4, Benelli has crippled that combat shotgun by cutting off the magazine at only holding 4 shells. So it can only hold 4+1 rounds. There are many sporting shotguns that match that capacity at far less expense.

The best pure combat shotgun on the market now in the USA is FN USA's SLP Mark I. This shotgun has the same super reliable gas action that has been used in Browning and Winchester self-loading shotguns. It has double the civilian M4's tube capacity, at 8 shells. So you can load it with up to 9 shotshells, instead of only 5 with the Benelli. Street price for the FN SLP Mark I is also about HALF that of the Benelli M4. It is also threaded for choke tubes, so you can actually have something other than a pure cylinder choke on it if you like.

The only long gun that I don't have locked up in a safe in my home is my FN SLP Mark I, which is hidden in a closet. So it is my backup if by some strange twist of fate, I find that I need something more than my Glock 17 to defend my home with.

If things somehow didn't go well using my FN and I wanted more firepower, my last resort would be to retrieve a 7.62 NATO Assault Rifle from my gunsafe, which has a 20 round mag in it.

Anyway, the odds of ever needing such firepower is extremely remote. So again, you are much better off in simply relying on a good quality high capacity handgun. If you already own one, consider making some upgrades to it. Otherwise, consider the brands that I mentioned earlier.

Here is a photo of my FN SLP backup doomsday gun. Note the very long magazine tube, the screw in choke tube, and the EOTech electronic gunsight:

Old May 10, 2008, 10:24 PM   #12
Rampant_Colt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceOregon
First off, let me say that a shotgun is NOT the best home defense gun. A good full sized high capacity semi-auto pistol is by far your best option.

Shotguns are far bigger and thus more difficult to store in a convenient location that you will have quick and easy access to. Their size also makes negotiating tight areas like a home's hallways more difficult.

Pump action shotguns also have vicious recoil when used with buckshot self-defense loads. The average person is going to have a problem dealing with that.

A full size quality semi-auto handgun in 9mm or .40 S&W would make far greater sense. Something like a Glock, S&W M&P, or Springfield XD would give you from 15 to 17 rounds in those calibers. Add a laser and/or flashlight to the gun, and you will be very well set to defend your home.

I rely on a customized Glock 17 myself.

If you absolutely must get a combat shotgun, consider a semiauto instead of a pump. The good brands of semiautos are 100% reliable, and the recoil will be significantly lighter, due to the gun's gas action. You also don't have to use a big magnum load or Buckshot load when shooting inside a home. A field load of #4 birdshot will get the job done just as well at inside home ranges. And the recoil will be far less, allowing for faster recovery and more rapid fire ( if needed ).

By all means do STAY AWAY from the civilian Benelli M4, Benelli has crippled that combat shotgun by cutting off the magazine at only holding 4 shells. So it can only hold 4+1 rounds. There are many sporting shotguns that match that capacity at far less expense.
You do realize there are reduced recoil buckshot loads making that a moot point.

Don't even open the birdshot can of worms, because birdshot SUCKS for self-defense. That's a bad idea to suggest others use it because it is not a suitable defense load that could potentially get someone killed. You're basically telling people to settle for second best because some buckshot loads recoil hard. I'm telling you to use the best load available to you, and that's buckshot. Low recoil buckshot for recoil-sensitive. Period.

Using a handgun for home defense is just as bad as the birdshot suggestion. A shotgun trumps a handgun in that scenario unless you actively get out of your strong position to pursue a home invader with your gun. You could argue that a shotgun could be more easily grabbed by a bad guy as well.

If you've ever been in a home invasion scenario you would know how miniscule a puny little handgun feels to you.

A shotgun is a superior weapon with which to confront a doped-up burglar
Old May 10, 2008, 10:52 PM   #13
Scattergun Bob

GunCrazyinGA

Welcome to the Forum,

As you can see you get a lot of opinion in this site. To answer your specific question we all need some additional info. Shooting experience, do you have kids, apartment dweller, type of neighborhood. That kind of stuff.

Pure guns, I thing Lance is being a little over opinionated. I do not share his feeling about auto only shotguns. The #1 used shotgun in combat today is a pump action shotgun. The #1 combat shotgun in the entire 20th century has been the pump action shotgun. Remington, Mossberg, Browning, FN and benelli make good pump guns that are more than equal to the task at hand.

Autos - Benelli super 90, Remington 11-87, moss berg 930 series are all fine scatterguns.

Size of the long gun is an issue, depending on your personal house tactics will determine if scatterguns are for you.

Please read all the threads about shot size, especially those about birdshot, I am quite tired of the discussion, you can make up your own mind.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old May 11, 2008, 06:47 PM   #14
Running Gunfight

Old May 15, 2008, 08:20 PM   #15
Cerick

870 tac 2
Old May 15, 2008, 08:41 PM   #16
oneounceload

Quote:
Using a handgun for home defense is just as bad as the birdshot suggestion. A shotgun trumps a handgun in that scenario unless you actively get out of your strong position to pursue a home invader with your gun. You could argue that a shotgun could be more easily grabbed by a bad guy as well.

If you've ever been in a home invasion scenario you would know how miniscule a puny little handgun feels to you.
while a shotgun isn't a bad HD choice, to completely dismiss a handgun totally, is irresponsible and just plain idiotic on your part...a 38, 9mm, 40, 357, 45, 10mm, etc., are QUITE capable HD guns if the shooter practices and knows the gun...

too many rambo keyboard kommandoes want some tacky-cool gun but do not practice thinking it's a shotgun, I just have to be close.....uh-huh....

a 357 at 10-15 feet will stop an intruder without any compromise in safety...to state otherwise is just plain BS..........
Old May 16, 2008, 09:15 AM   #17
Desert01

"COMBAT SHOTGUNS" and shotguns for everyone are differant animals.

Quote:
The #1 used shotgun in combat today is a pump action shotgun. The #1 combat shotgun in the entire 20th century has been the pump action shotgun. Remington, Mossberg, Browning, FN and benelli make good pump guns that are more than equal to the task at hand.
Pumps are the #1 shotgun used in COMBAT today, because most of them are being used in roles not sutable for semi's. Less-Lethals and breaching are the primary reason shotguns are used. A very few are used has primary weapons due to the shotguns limitations in combat against AK's and RPG's.

Most of the shotguns used in combat are secondary less lethal weapons/breaching "tools". They are carried slung with the rifle/carbine used as the primary weapon. Semi's simply are not going to work in this role for multiple reasons. 1. they don't cycle less lethals 2. most including the Benelli M-4/M-1014 are two long 3. when you transition back to the carbine you will have a round in the camber of that secondary shotgun which may get discharged the next time you climb over a wall, ect. and get snagged on something.

Any how I need to get off my soap box, because you always have good info to pass along.

The original OP's question is:
Quote:
I am looking a good, reliable shotgun, in either a pump or semi. I need some help to figure out which would be a good one to go with.
Doesn't give alot to work with has you pointed out. Use and fit determines what's "good". Pumps are stone cold simple, but may require a slightly higher level of skill to keep running. If you run it hard any of the main brands should treat you fine. If you try be gentle with the action you will end up run ing to issues with short stroking the shotgun and jamming it.

The main brands of Semi's are easier for many to use and are often better for shooters that are not going to devote has much time to training. Why? Much like your AR, you load and shoot. Cycleing the action manualy between shots is one less thing you have to do under stress.

Me, I have several flavors:
Semi's:
Rem 11-87
Mossy 930 SPX
Rem 11-48 16ga.

Pumps:
Rem 870
2 Mossberg 500s

Each has it's place, but the Mossbergs are my main guns. Nothing is "wrong" with either brand.

The funny thing about birdshot is that if you read alot of OLD police training materials, bird shot was recommended for use has a LESS LETHAL round for Riot Control when skip fired. Don't try that at home
Old May 16, 2008, 07:17 PM   #18
tekarra

What are your thoughts on Browning BPS?
I have an opportunity to pick one up at a good price.
The bottom loading feature is of interest as the house has both left and right handers.
Old May 16, 2008, 08:04 PM   #19
Wyldman

Quote:
You can't go wrong with a Mossberg 500 / 590 or a Remington 870. There's a ton of variants and aftermarket products should you decide to customize...
I own the Mossy 500 Persuader and although it is a somewhat inexpensive shotgun @$269 MOL, I love it! It shoots well (it shoots like a shotgun, lol) it feels good in my hands and it is VERY easy to field-strip and clean. Although I have to admit ... I REALLY like the new Benelli my brother just bought! I don't know how easily it strips down I haven't fired it yet (we are doing THAT tomorrow), but I sure like the way it feels and operates. It has a spring-loaded pump ... you pull the pump back and it springs back forward on it's own. I can't wait to shoot it with him tomorrow.

"The stupider people think you are, the more surprised they are when you kill them."

Last edited by Wyldman; May 18, 2008 at 06:13 PM.
Old May 16, 2008, 09:09 PM   #20
nemoaz

Quote:
Don't even open the birdshot can of worms, because birdshot SUCKS for self-defense.
+1. This has been debated a million times and all the people who confront bad guys for a living and all the tactical instructors have concluded that using pheasant/squirrel/dove loads is a bad idea. If it's all you have, shoot for the neck.

As for the original question, any
Mossberg
Remington
Winchester
Browning
Benelli
Ithaca
High Standard

and probably quite a few others will work well if you get one with a short barrel. Forget the bayonet lugs and heat shields. It will just make you look like a Mall Ninja, and we will laugh at you.

As for the "get a high capacity pistol comment", let's face off at twenty paces. I get my Mossy and you get your Glock. Just kidding, but let me assure you that looking down the business end of any longgun (and especially a shotgun at close range) while you are only armed with a pistol is a very, very bad situation.
Old May 16, 2008, 10:17 PM   #21
WVfishguy

Winchester 1300, 22' deer slug barrel, 8 + 1 magazine, all 9 pellets of 00 buck on a 13" target. Smooth as silk, deadly as Hell.
Old May 16, 2008, 10:24 PM   #22
Mossberg590man

As a professional smith I say both Remington 870 and Mossberg500/590 models would serve you just fine.
Old May 18, 2008, 06:59 PM   #23
alfred

Have any thought of the exposed hammer guns?

Where does these folk keep coming up with the "ALL" in their statements.I happen to know quite a few Cops and instructors in my over 50 years of knowing such who prefer bird shot for use in their home defense.I have even seen one state so on TheFiringLine forums recently.Check out "Bird shot for home defense!!!"Now I understand "All that I know"but to say "all" is speaking something that simply is not true in my belief that is based on personal experience.

Home defense is not a combat situation.Many Innocent folk of all age are killed in combat situations with a firearm on a regular basis in war zones according to the statistics.Often many more are killed than are the combatants.

I believe that Hammer style single and double barreled shotguns have been used in more home defense situations in the history of this country than all the rest put together as that is what has mostly been available in our country's history'.They worked and still work.You can leave rounds in the chamber without putting tension on your firing pin springs and be reasonably safe with them loaded.The single barrel is the cheapest and simplest shotguns you can buy.You can find good working order ones in the 50-100 dollar range regularly in the South East.alfred
Old May 18, 2008, 08:26 PM   #24
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Buy a used 500 or 870. Manfully resist the urge to decorate your weapon with addons and tactical bling.

Buy a messa ammo. Some light birdshot loads for familiarization, 00 buck for serious use. Pattern the buck and buy that which patterns the tightest.

Now, go shoot your shotgun instead of taking kewl pics and posting them on the Net.

Shoot clays, silohuettes, starlings, landfill rats, tin cans, whatever, but burn ammo in short time frame drills.

If you've access to a trap range when no one is around, stand right behind the house and using birdshot, shoot from low gun and powder the clays as fast as possible. Miss one, pump and get a second shot into it.

Shoot some doubles.

Once you can get respectable scores on fast moving 4 " discs, bigger slower closer targets are a gimme.

Good defensive shotguns are not hard to find. Good defensive shotgunners are....
Old May 19, 2008, 03:30 AM   #25
Rob96

Quote:
Buy a used 500 or 870. Manfully resist the urge to decorate your weapon with addons and tactical bling.

Buy a messa ammo. Some light birdshot loads for familiarization, 00 buck for serious use. Pattern the buck and buy that which patterns the tightest.

Now, go shoot your shotgun instead of taking kewl pics and posting them on the Net.

Shoot clays, silohuettes, starlings, landfill rats, tin cans, whatever, but burn ammo in short time frame drills.

If you've access to a trap range when no one is around, stand right behind the house and using birdshot, shoot from low gun and powder the clays as fast as possible. Miss one, pump and get a second shot into it.

Shoot some doubles.

Once you can get respectable scores on fast moving 4 " discs, bigger slower closer targets are a gimme.

Good defensive shotguns are not hard to find. Good defensive shotgunners are....
I don't follow the advice of too many people on these forums. But when it comes to shotguns I pay attention to what this gentleman and Desert01 have to say as far as defensive shotguns are concerned.