The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 14, 1999, 01:51 PM   #1
WinMag

My Millet rings came with what looks like hard rubber shims with an adhesive backing. It almost looks like they would fit inside the rings. I have a 10/22T with a 6-24x44AO, and need to shim my scope to raise my point of impact. If I put one of these on the rear ring only (inside), would it cause undue stress on the scope body when I tighten it down since the front one does not have one? Or are these things designed to go in the rings (both front and back) to protect the scope body from scratches...etc? OR, are these things designed to go under the scope base between the reciever?

Thanks,
WinMag
Old December 17, 1999, 02:56 PM   #2
CMOS

Well, I'll tell you what I did with mine.

I believe these "pads" are to be placed on both the top and bottom half of the inside of each ring to act as a "gasket" to make up for any imperfections on the inside of the rings themselves. As you can see, the pads are also *slightly* rough which will also help to secure the scope body in the rings while deterring movement.

I have 2 scopes with mounts done this way. They are still rock solid.

CMOS