The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 2, 2000, 05:34 PM   #1
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

NOTE---
I really don't believe in double posting but, just this once, I'm putting this on both Rifle and The Hunt forums, hoping to draw input from those who might frequent one forum and not the other. If moderator of either forum elects to dump this topic, I will not be upset - - -

Please share some expertise with me. I am fairly new to use of the .308 cartridge except for FMJ in military style rifles. Haven't ever used it in bolt guns up til now.

I am working toward settling on an all around factory load for my Savage Scout rifle. I want something to keep with it in trunk of the car for possible business use, but which is also good for hunting.

My SOP with other rifles has been to find a factory load that I like and then work up a hand load that shoots to same point of aim, but, usually, more accurately. This is why I am trying to standardize on a factory load for all around carry and hunting use first off.

I really like the 165 gr. in .30-06 ammo--maybe a bit more than needed for white tails, perhaps a little light for elk or moose. No, I've never gotten either of these, but I hunted bear in Canada where moose roamed, and twice overlaid my tracks with theirs. And I HUNTED for elk with my aught-six, unsuccessfully.

Another reason I lean toward the 165 in .308 is so I can load it to come close to the 165 match ammo the county buys for our sharpshooters. I am issued a small amount of that for annual qualifications.

I know a lot of people like the 180 for .308, especially in shorted barrels and with lower power scopes. The less-flat trajectory shouldn't be a problem when you limit yourself to around 250 yards. I bought some Remington Express 180 RN and some Winchester 180 PSP factory ammo. My rifle likes the Remington a lot better. Haven't tried the factory 165 yet.

I still haven't blooded that rifle yet, but look forward to doing so this month. And, as always, planning for the hunt is part of the fun.

Thanks for the input. Best regards to all - - -
Johnny
Old December 2, 2000, 07:32 PM   #2
Kingcreek

I've been happy with the 165g Noslers and also had good results and excellent accuracy with the 165 Sierra Gameking in my handloads. I can't offer any info on factory stuff. If you get same point of impact with different flavors then you are more lucky than me.
I don't think the 165g is overkill on whitetails. The ones I've killed thought it was just about right!
Old December 2, 2000, 07:39 PM   #3
SA Scott

Can't speak to terminal effectiveness, but for accuracy I haven't beaten the 168gr Ballistic Silvertip from Winchester. And, on paper at least, it seems to retain velocity well at longer ranges. Of course, I'm usually shooting a semi-auto, and I like the absence of lead in the nose.

SA Scott
Old December 3, 2000, 12:28 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've been messing with a 700 ADL in .308; not really impressed, yet, with its 1-1/2" to 2" groups. I've tried various 150-grain handloads and Remington 150-grain Core-Lokt. That shoots a bit better than Argentine Military...That was with a Swift 4X12.

Tried some Federal 165-grain Deep-Shok; it shoots into 1-1/2" with a Weaver V3, so I guess that's about as good as I'll get. A smidgen tighter than the Core-Lokt.

Try some Federal High Energy 165-grain. They claim some 200 feet/sec more muzzle velocity than any other ammo. Haven't found any in .308, but the '06 box claims a muzzle velocity of 3,000 with a 165-grain bullet.

FWIW, Art
Old December 3, 2000, 04:41 PM   #5
Paul B.

Johnny. Seeing as you seem to be heading toward the 165 gr. bullet, I can strongly recommend the Speer 165 gr. spitzer flat base bullet. I have had excellent results with that bullet in the .308 Win. With a good handload, you should be able to handle most game animals up to about 600 pounds, and I include elk in that category.
Another bullet with which I have had good results in the .308 is the Sierra 150 gr. spitzer flat base. I used that bullet to make the longest kill on any game animal I have ever shot at. A 195 pound mule deer at 427 paces, witnessed.
I went to the 165 gr. Speer in desperation, when a Ruger International, that would not shoot anything at all came into my possession. The 165 gr. gave fairly decent accuracy, not only in that rifle, but in 4 other .308's that I own. I've used it ever since.
Paul B.
Old December 3, 2000, 04:56 PM   #6
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

THAT settles it, once and for all, forever, for the time being . . .

Thank you all--

I am now decided to go with the 165 factory load for now--Exactly WHICH one remains to be seen. I have two or three different bullets on hand as components, mainly the Rem 165 PSP Core-Lokt and probably a few Sierra Game King hollow points.

I leaned toward the 150, principally so I could use military surplus stuff for cheap plinking. Guess I'll just sight in with the 165 and then see where the 147/150 loads shoot.

Very much obliged for the input.
Johnny
Old December 4, 2000, 06:07 PM   #7
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Hm. I would personally lean toward the 150, Johnny- unless you plan on walking where the big guys wander. OTOH, if you won't come across anything bigger than Brown Bear...

PS- the Guide Gun does a number on deer! I'll compare it to a slug gun later this year...
Old December 4, 2000, 07:51 PM   #8
HankL

Now that the correct bullet weight for the caliber has been arrived at I will offer this as to choice of bullet. The Nosler Partition and Ballistic Tip projectiles group very close together in the same rifle using the same loading data. This is the case in the 6 .308 rifles that I load for. Some of them shoot a better group with a different bullet but being able to have a choice in bullet type and not having to re zero is a thought.
Old December 6, 2000, 09:28 AM   #9
DAVID NANCARROW

After several years of experimentation, I now have my 130, 150 and 165 grain ballistic tip handloads in 308 hitting the same point of impact at 100 yards using varying charges of Reloder 15.