The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 3, 2012, 06:27 PM   #1
Nathan

Anybody else doing this die swap?

Right now, you can sell your lightly used die set on eBay for close to the cost of a new set. Let's say you sell your old RCBS die set for $25 + $6 to ship. You can buy Hornady dies online for about $30. With a little luck this can be within $1 - $2 of even. Then, you get 100 free Hdy bullets for $6.95 shipping. This seems like a heck of a deal if you want dies and bullets.

Anybody else doing this?

I am and I really prefer the Hdy dies for most of my guns. Maybe it is because the die box holds the shell plate.
Old November 3, 2012, 10:35 PM   #2
Sport45

Not me. Too much trouble for 100 bullets at a reduced cost. I don't routinely load any of the bullets they offer in the deal and don't want to work up a load with such a limited bullet supply.

And the dies I have are working fine..
Old November 4, 2012, 01:06 AM   #3
lll Otto lll

Quote:
Let's say you sell your old RCBS die set for $25 + $6 to ship. You can buy Hornady dies online for about $30. With a little luck this can be within $1 - $2 of even.
Re-check your math, Ebay charges 13% on the item you're selling plus 13% on shipping. Don't know about you, but I'm not selling a perfectly good set of dies for twenty bucks. Be sides that, Hornady doesn't make carbide dies.
Old November 4, 2012, 01:24 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Be sides that, Hornady doesn't make carbide dies.
Just because they use a different material, doesn't mean the dies don't work.

Carbide is not the only material suitable for sizing rings.

Quote:
Our Straight Wall Sizing Dies feature a titanium coated sizing ring (gold ring). This eliminates case sticking and requires no lubrication. The super hard, smooth coating is used in high-pressure, high-wear tools to reduce abrasion, so it's perfect for resizing relatively soft pistol brass, and won't scratch your cases. Less friction also means less wear on cases, for longer case life.
Old November 4, 2012, 02:31 PM   #5
Nathan

Just wondering. My math example should probably be deleted as NONE of the numbers are real. It is a fair point that that is a fair amount of trouble for 100 rounds. It has worked out for me and on of the bullets I do use, so works for me.

I guess I'm more surprised how much used die sets go for on Ebay. . .

As for Hornady dies, I have made a lot of good ammo with Hornady equipment. Maybe I'm the only one??
Old November 4, 2012, 04:39 PM   #6
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
GunBroker is the place to buy used dies , they are gun friendly (unlike E-Bay) , and the deals are even better !
Old November 4, 2012, 05:08 PM   #7
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I have more important things to do with my time than it spent setting up a transaction, spending gas to go to the Post Office, buying a set, etc. only to make a couple bucks and a few bullets.

And I don't like Hornady's dies....at all. Love their press. But it's outfitted with Redding or RCBS dies, in that order.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old November 4, 2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Strafer Gott

I was buying dies anyway, and the deal on XTPs' didn't require much effort. I tried them, and now I buy them, because they totally modernize the .45acp.
I pretty much figured I was using a "new concept" die set. I like them. So win- win.
Old November 5, 2012, 04:05 AM   #9
rajbcpa

i dont like hornady dies that much that it would change my decision on which dies to purchase. I had so much trouble with their progressive press that i may never buy another hornady product again- frankly, they can keep their free bullets.
Old November 5, 2012, 08:24 AM   #10
Jimro

No, it's still more economical for me to buy bullets in larger lots than that. I use the 80gr Hdy Amax .224 bullet for my 600 yard high power load, but I won't buy them in a lot of less than 600.

Jimro
Old November 5, 2012, 03:12 PM   #11
rajbcpa

hornady free bullets are not free..... the shipping and handling fees they charge are significant....

....on one recent free bullet transaction, they charged me about 18 bucks and then shipped it us postal service bulk shipment and the shipping fee was only 5.50..... the us postal service and your's trully were both hosed on that one...

that hornady hospitality kinda rubbed me the wrong way....
Old November 6, 2012, 09:06 PM   #12
Crashbox

I sure wish they'd bring back the 1000-bullet offer they had when I bought my LnL AP three years ago. That was a pretty good deal IMO, even though I still have about 900+ bullets remaining and will be part of my 'private reserve'...
Old November 6, 2012, 10:44 PM   #13
langenc

I bought one set of those Hornady dies w/ free bullets on ebay.

No bullets as I wasnt the orig owner and couldnt show sales reciept as such--CAUTION.
Old November 7, 2012, 08:43 AM   #14
Magnum Wheel Man

I reload close to 70 different calibers, so I have alot of different brands dies...

some of my newest are the Hornady New Dimension dies... I do like the bullet seating sliding collet deal they offer on some of their dies... makes loading sub caliber bullets much easier to get seated straight as well...

but no, I'm not trading in all my old dies for 100 "free" bullets... but I do like the latest Hornady dies I've gotten lately
Old November 7, 2012, 10:31 PM   #15
Nathan

I guess my thought was. . .I like Hornady Dies, I like the 155gr XTP JHP and I had dies which I needed to move, so I did it. I'm happy with what I received in return. $6.95 for 100 XTP's is a significant savings to me. Bullets came UPS. I'm sure they get a cut rate, but it worked for me. I'm buying the new dies from Cabela's to get free shipping there.