The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 20, 2012, 10:04 PM   #1
TXAZ

KSG, has anyone purchased one?

If you have one, how do you like it?

Just curious, it looks interesting but not sure how it stack up to more conventional options.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 20, 2012, 10:31 PM   #2
the rifleer

I think everyone is waiting for someone else to buy one and see how it works
Old January 20, 2012, 10:39 PM   #3
Ruthless4christ

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said.
Old January 20, 2012, 11:12 PM   #4
TheKlawMan

Supposedly something like 700 to 900 were presold and someone knows somoeone that received theirs, but no one has said they got one themselves.
Old January 20, 2012, 11:35 PM   #5
wingspar

Check out nutnfancy’s YouTube page. He has done 2 or three videos on the gun putting it thru it’s paces with a Kel-Tec rep. There were a couple of things that didn’t work so well for them in the field, and the right person to be there was there. Chad from Kel-Tec. The way you switch magazine tubes was confusing, and the sling attachment broke. The results from those videos went straight to Kel-Tec with Chad. Other than that, I don’t think there were any other things really wrong with the KSG. It’s probably going to be a popular gun, and as typical with Kel-Tec guns, hard to get ones hands on. They do need to step up their production. I own two Kel-Tec’s, and both were hard to find.
Old January 21, 2012, 05:09 PM   #6
Stevie-Ray

There was one for sale at our last gun show. $2500
Old January 21, 2012, 07:44 PM   #7
ShotgunBill

Shucks, just as with any new shotgun, when they become readily available, even at 500 to 700 dollars...

A whole new aftermarket industry will rev up and start selling, at ridiculous prices, everything from rails, to new folding stocks, sight sets, butt cuffs or sidesaddles, pistol grips, adapters, fancy forearms with ventilation holes, devices to raise or lower the power, ad infinitum, ad nauseum...

So that even the lower priced ones will end up costing a body might near that much anyway.

It's a disease, this never ending compulsion to spend outrageously on a shotgun, all in order to end up with, well, a shotgun...

Shotgun Bill, who knows too well, of that which he speaks in the above regard.
Old January 21, 2012, 08:01 PM   #8
Nitesites

Shoot, I haven't even seen an RFB yet and that's what, almost 2 years? KSG??? Fat chance...
Old January 21, 2012, 10:21 PM   #9
TXAZ

It makes me wonder about the Keltec marketing strategy: about the worst thing you can do is announce the product then let them trickle out or delay the market entree'... Maybe they're having problems?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old February 1, 2012, 11:58 AM   #10
Firemedic

I got to handle one the other day. Local gun store has one that he purchased for $800 he claimed. He has it out for people to see and play with, but says it is not for sale. Now that I handled it, would definately like to put one in the cabinet.
Old February 1, 2012, 12:16 PM   #11
Technosavant

Quote:
Shoot, I haven't even seen an RFB yet and that's what, almost 2 years? KSG??? Fat chance...
I've seen exactly ONE of the RFBs. Ditto the PMR-30. Both sold darn near immediately. I don't expect to see a KSG unless I wander into the shop at a very opportune time, and even then it's likely to be pre-sold.

But at the price, I'd still give it a miss. Looks neat, but the only guns Kel-Tec seems to be able to get out with any kind of volume are their pocket pistols.
Old February 1, 2012, 12:26 PM   #12
zippy13

If the KSG was a computer component, it would be called vaporware.
Old February 1, 2012, 06:03 PM   #13
arentol

Vaporware never shows up at all. You CAN buy a KSG right now today if you have the $$$$ for it a/o got on a stores list first a couple years ago and they are actually honest enough to sell it to you at the real price instead of gouging someone else for 2k while telling you it hasn't shown up yet. Regardless, that makes it not at all like vaporware.

It is unfortunate that Kel-tec doesn't have much manufacturing capacity so they can't keep up with demand. I would love to be able to go down to my local gun store and pick up a PMR-30 and a KSG, but I can't. However, given enough time I will find both some day. No worries and no rush. I have plenty of other guns available to me in the meantime.
Old February 1, 2012, 06:10 PM   #14
Nitesites

Call it Unobtanium. And it will be available sometime around the Eleventeenth of Neverwary.
Old February 1, 2012, 11:18 PM   #15
bigghoss

The RFB and KSG look interesting but I just have not seen enough extensive reviews on them to even consider purchasing them.
Old February 2, 2012, 06:56 AM   #16
Double Naught Spy

It is my impression from the PMR30 that they do announce them, trickle a few out, and then let the few trickled out serve at beta-tests before going into full production. The PMR30 apparently had some issues that needed to be resolved and the KSG seems to be in the same boat.
Old February 2, 2012, 08:37 AM   #17
Slugthrower

Bigghoss, there is a You Tube guy named Nutnfancy who has done a video on the KSG and the PMR30. They are "extensive" enough I think. My general impression is that the firearms are adaquate, but have some teething problems.

The PMR, while an interesting concept, gives up too much in terms of velocity to make the .22 WMR chambering worth having. Now if they make that little carbine instead it might be getting somewhere.

The KSG is a neat little novelty. As a 7+7+1 shotgun it would have a very fast reload on hand compared to the conventional pump. Being a bullpup and naturally having to load it as it is designed it will be cumbersome and prove to not be so ideal. It is so short that you will want a vertical for the forearm to make cycling the action more effective. Once you have that fore grip, along with the pistol grip, it becomes bulky and even more cumbersome. After that and some other add ons it will have enough protrusions to hook and snag on things like a polymer burr. What it saves you in overall length it loses in added bulk. Seems to be the problem with most bullpup designs as it goes.

While it may seem to be really cool shotgun it just seems to be something that will not be that is cracked up to be. If they made it to accept magazines instead of using twin tubes it might be better in the reload department. On the other hand, can you imagine handling a magazine that wide and huge overall?

It would have to sell for $500 and come with a fore grip and sights to be even worth considering as a pump in my book. Even then it would be limited. If it was a semi auto it would be much more appealing at $700+. Even then the manual of arms to reload it is a real detractor for me.

It is a neat idea and Kel Tec sure is making some interesting designs and they should be commended for it. Other than that, the typical pump has a bit more going for it compared to the KSG. While the 7+7+1 brings a lot of "fire power" to start. It will fall behind after that as a fighing gun.

Just imagine stuffing it with 14 rounds and having to flip levers back and forth to do so. It becomes complicated in a way that isn't appealing as a fighting shotgun to me. Not to mention that firing a few shells and topping off will be not so efficient and loading through an ejection port is not even an option. What you gain in onboard ammuniton you lose on the other end of the spectrum.

Some may argue that the other tube would allow the user to have slugs on tap in a flash. That may be true, yet it won't be so easy to get back to shooting buck shot in the other tube. It would be training issue for the most part though. Still it adds steps that just make no sense if you subscribe to KISS, YMMV.

For those that find it appealing and can tolerate those little flaws it will be a great shotgun, provided the minor teething problems it has are solved.

Yet another Nutnfancy sized post completed.
Old February 2, 2012, 11:02 AM   #18
bigghoss

I'm very familiar with Nutnfancy. I've seen some of his gun vids, though not his KSG review. My concern is more about durability than reliability. How does it hold up after a few thousand rounds running it hard in training? The vids I've seen of his are of him shooting something for an afternoon or maybe a desk review after owning something for a few weeks. I'll check his channel to see what he says about a knife but from what I've seen him say about guns I'm not sure I value his opinion for a weapon I would trust my life to. Maybe I'm a bit of a gun snob but when you're looking at fighting guns, is that really a bad thing?
Old February 3, 2012, 07:04 AM   #19
kozak6

I think they only made two KSG's, and accidentally sold one of them.
Old February 3, 2012, 08:52 AM   #20
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
While the 7+7+1 brings a lot of "fire power" to start. It will fall behind after that as a fighing gun.
I don't believe it is being marketing as a military gun. Can't say that I can think of all that many instances where it would run out of ammo in negative social engagements.
Old February 3, 2012, 10:04 AM   #21
Slugthrower

I agree Double Naught Spy. For the most part I can't see the where much more than that would be needed by the average home owner and the need to reload would not be very high, so it mostly eliminates those complications.

Not that such things are common but riots can happen. From what I recall during the LA riots of 92' , those Korean shop owners were going though far more than just 15 shotgun shells during that little event.

Just a thought in regard to the KSG and the complicated aspects of it MoA.