The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 2, 2008, 06:27 PM   #1
tazzman

Cast bullet handloads for the .44 rem mag

Hi everyone,

I own a S&W model 29-3 in 8 3/8 in. bbl length, red ramp front sight and wide trigger shoe. I've enjoyed shooting it over the years. It has been a long while since I've last taken it out, though. Now that I have access to a range, I would like to find out what loads you like using cast bullets. My last box of bullets comes from Hardy & fils. They are .429 SWC, swaged and weigh 245 gr. I am not into full loads for recreation. Powders in my area range fron Reloader to Hodgdon, including Varget according to my local shop. If I can't find any more of Hardy & fils cast bullets, do you know of any other suppliers? The last loads I had done up were done using .44 Rem mag cases, but I have a fair supply of .44 special cases ready to go, if accuracy is acceptable. What do you think, can you help me?
Tazzman
PS: I don't have the capacity to cast my own.
Old October 2, 2008, 07:57 PM   #2
NuJudge

Some thoughts

Swaged bullets are softer than cast bullets, and are likely to lead your bore with anything but .44 Special loads.

The most accurate bullets in my S&W Model 29-2 are hard cast bullets with a gas check on them, ones such as the Lyman 429244. Hard cast plain based Lead bullets such as the Lyman 429421 shoot decently in the Magnum and Special.

I have not shot a lot of swaged bullets in my Model 29. They leave lead deposits in the bore easily. I would rather not deal with that.

Availability of bullets north of the border is rather different than here in the US. You would do well to be asking this question on a website such as:

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/index.php

Here is data on .44 Special loads, for which swaged bullets would be more acceptable:
http://www.handloads.org/loaddata/de...Powder&Source=
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=30785

Here is data on .44 Mag loads:
http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=46325
http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/for...4/m/3641058903
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=30284

Lately I have been shooting the 429244 with about 19.5gr Alliant 2400, with a Winchester primer in a .44 Magnum Starline case. I use the same with the 429421, which gives me slightly larger groups. This is not a mild load, but it is accurate.
Old October 2, 2008, 08:05 PM   #3
wncchester

Sorry about your component problems.

My 29/6" loves hard cast 250 SWC GC Alox lubed bullets over modest charges of Unique.

The same bullet shots fantastic with full charges of 2400. In my distant youth (better eyes) I used to plink cans at about 75 yards with regularity using full loads.
Old October 3, 2008, 01:27 AM   #4
zippy13

For recreational plinking and paper punching, I prefer lighter loads, too. Here's my favorite reduced .44 Mag load:
200 grain Wad Cutter over 5.7 grains of Bullseye
I use a bit of dacron quilt bating over the powder. I like to think it improves accuracy. With the price of bullets these days, my home hard cast wad cutters give good accuracy, limited leading, and a substantial savings. You said you lack casting capabilities, perhaps there are some semi-commericial "cottage casters" in your area.
Old October 3, 2008, 03:29 AM   #5
HiBC

I understand you are not casting,but to assure you,I have run thousands of wheelweight .44 cast bullets through my Super Blackhawk with no problems.I set the mold up in a mill and bored out the gas check feature.Quit using them.
No problem with heavy h-110 loads.(not a good powder for reduced loads)
My point.go for it!!
It is good if bullet OD matches cylinder throat ID.
I have had good luck with Oregon Trail Laser cast.
Only time I shoot jacketed bullets in a wheelgun is if there is some good reason. Rocks,bushes,and cans don't seem to mind.
Old October 3, 2008, 07:15 AM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

If you want more swaged bullet, Hornady makes one in 240 grains. They shoot fine up to about 750 fps or so. 5 grains of Bullseye in the magnum case will do that. It is a short range plinker, to be sure.

Lead bullets will show up any flaws in the gun. You want to be sure none of your chamber throats are narrower than the bore of the barrel, or accuracy and leading (lead build-up) will be terrible. You want to be sure the barrel has no constriction back where it is screwed into the frame, or accuracy and leading will be terrible. You find those things out by slugging the barrel and chamber throats with pure lead slugs.

Elmer Keith developed the .44 magnum using bullets cast from 30:1 lead tin and later from 20:1 lead tin, IIRC. The point being that even full power loads of 2400 or Blue Dot work fine without exceptionally hard bullets if the gun dimensions are good.

The powders you mentioned in the Reloader series and Hodgdon Varget are all rifle powders and too slow for the pistol. Hodgdon also makes Hodgdon Clays, an even faster powder than Bullseye, but one that burns cleaner, so it is not a bad choice. About 4 grains of Clays in a magnum case with the swaged bullets should be slow enough for swaged bullets. The Reloader rifle powders are made by Alliant, and Alliant also makes Bullseye and Unique. If you need to choose one of those, I would get Bullseye for the swaged bullet loads.

I would not bother with the .44 Special cases. They work, but they are shorter, so if you have any chamber lead build-up (and some is likely with soft bullets), it will start where the shorter cases end and will form a ring that makes a tight spot. Then chambering a magnum case can be difficult and potentially dangerous if that lead isn't carefully cleaned out first. It's just extra bother.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 5, 2008, 10:31 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

gun-saving easy-recoiling accurate ammo

Use Hodgdon Titegroup.
Use their 'Cowboy' data.
Old October 5, 2008, 02:04 PM   #8
tbtrout

Try IMR Trail Boss. it will be exactly what you need. Fills the case, light recoil and will work with swaged as well as cast.n 44 mag or spec. I use it for 38 spec, 357 mag 44 mag 45-70 and now light 45acp loads.