The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 1, 2008, 09:56 PM   #1
zxcvbob

Rooster Jacket

Anybody use the stuff? I'm familiar with using Lee Liquid Alox on micro-banded bullets (haven't tried it on bullets with conventional lube grooves.) Is Rooster Jacket applied the same way, or does it need to go on a lot thicker? I bought a pint from Midway and want to try it on some 120 grain .358 bullets instead of running them thru the lubrisizer. I'll be loading them in .38 Specials.
Old September 8, 2008, 08:07 PM   #2
zxcvbob

bump
Old September 9, 2008, 06:52 AM   #3
VaFisher

Ask Midway they will get you a answer.
Old September 25, 2008, 06:50 PM   #4
zxcvbob

I tried it. I drizzled a little on the bullets in a plastic bowl, sloshed them around, and set them base-down on some wax paper with a pair of forceps to dry overnight. They were milky-looking when wet, then when dried they looked unlubed. I loaded them anyway.

120-something grain bullets in mixed .38 Special cases, with 4.5 grains of Green Dot and Wolf sp primers. This is not a light target load but kind of upper-end standard-pressure.

The bullets don't have a crimp groove, so I crimped into the lube groove. (they almost look like heeled bullets after I crimped them.) I had to run about 10% of them thru a Lee FCD to post-size them because the bullets swelled the cases too much to chamber easily. I need to sort my brass by headstamp for this because almost all of the ones I had trouble with were CBC brass (and one military case, I don't remember its headstamp)

After shooting 100 rounds, the bore looked unusually clean -- even though Green Dot is not known for burning cleanly. I ran a cleaning brush (dry) thru the bore a couple of times and the bore looked polished (one sliver of lead about an inch long came out of the rifling, I don't know if that was there before or not.) I've never had a bore clean up that easily. I really think it was cleaner than before I shot it.

I can't comment on the accuracy yet because I'm out of practice and my shooting sucks. My slow-fire targets looked pretty good though. And there was no excessive smoke like there with Alox-based lubes.

Last edited by zxcvbob; September 26, 2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old October 2, 2008, 03:16 PM   #5
zxcvbob

I was lubing a bunch more bullets last night with Rooster Jacket, and I noticed how much it looks and smells like GB wire-pulling lube "Wire-Aide" -- except the Rooster Jacket is thinner. I know some folks use GB Wire-Aide as a neck-sizing lube for rifle cartridges. Is there any chance that if I thin Wire Aide down with hot water to the consistency of buttermilk that it will work as a bullet lube? Both products are water emulsions of wax and dry to a film...

It probably won't work but I gotta try it. What's the worst that can happen.