The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 11, 2006, 08:10 PM   #1
zpurdy

beginner hunter

hey, i'm new here and have only been hunting for about 3 years now, i'm 16 years old and finally after 3 years i got my first deer this season 3 hours into opening day, saw a couple of does, or what i thought they were looking through the scope, had a nice broadside shot and took it. well when i found it about 20 yards from where i hit it, i learned it was a button buck. i was using a marlin 30-30.
Anyways i've got the chance to use a Remington 7mm mag ADL for next season cuz its my grandpa's and was wondering if this would be too large for the hilly and brushy mountains of WV. what would this gun be compared to and what type of game is it good for.
Old December 11, 2006, 10:21 PM   #2
Pointer

If your shots are mostly inside of 100 yards... the 30-30 will do the job...

The 7Mag will aslo do the job... but is a bit bigger than needed...

You may not like to hear this, but a nice .308 or 30-06 would do the job that both 30-30 and 7Mag will do... all in one rifle...

30-06 Forever

30-06 FOREVER
Old December 11, 2006, 11:38 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

You already have plenty enough cartridge. If you're used to the sights, you'll just fine, "as is". The 7mm Mag is intended more for long-range shots, and is quite effective out at 300 and 400 yards.

Personally, I'd prefer the lesser noise and recoil--and probably lighter weight--of the .30-30 for the terrain you describe.

Art
Old December 11, 2006, 11:51 PM   #4
Fremmer

The 7mm mag will work just fine for deer (and elk). It'll be louder and have more recoil than the .30-30, but as magnum rounds go, the 7mm is not too severe in either department.

The biggest disadvantage to the 7mm mag rifle (in my opinion) is the weight and extra barrel length. Next time you get a chance, hold the .30-30, and then hold the 7mm mag. The mag rifle will weigh a lot more and won't feel as nearly as handy compared to the Marlin. By the end of the day (after you've been lugging the rifle around the woods for hours) the mag rifle will really feel heavy. The extra long barrel will seem like it is catching on every limb and branch while you're walking through the brush.

The 7mm mag is a great stand gun, but not my first choice for a gun that you have to carry a lot. Stick with the .30-30, and practice with it this summer. "Beware of the man with one gun...."

Good luck, and welcome to TFL!

Edited to add: on the other hand, I understand wanting to use your grandpa's gun, and I can see using it just for that reason. I sure do miss my grandpa....
Old December 11, 2006, 11:52 PM   #5
taylorce1

+1 to Art and Pointer

.30-30 is definatly enough gun to about 150 yards maybe 200 with the new ammo out there. 7mm Mag is more than enough inside 200 yards but if you want to use it spend some time at the range. It will recoil a lot different than your .30-30 and you need to know what to expect.
Old December 11, 2006, 11:52 PM   #6
22-rimfire

The Marlin in 30-30 or 35 Rem is a fine deer rifle for woods hunting. You have a good one already. If you were likely to take 150-200 yd shots, then I would lean toward the available 7mm. I prefer the 270 for an all purpose eastern deer rifle. Ammo is cheap too in 30-30 too. That is always nice.

If you are like most, you'll shoot it a bit prior to deer season and then if you have the opportunity to get a deer, one or two shots is all it takes and your season my be over if it is one deer per season.

I'd get a varmint rifle and broaden my shooting horizons to wood chucks and keep the 30-30 for deer season. 7mm is too big for most varmints.
Old December 12, 2006, 05:06 PM   #7
zpurdy

thanks for all the help, i just sort of needed some reassurance with this, cuz i figured i used all of my grandpa's guns(topper jr model 20ga, win .22,and Rem 1187 shotgun for turkey season, all these are what i need for this area) and wanted to try with this one, i might just shoot it at the range or if i go to a friends farm sometime.

Edited to add: on the other hand, I understand wanting to use your grandpa's gun, and I can see using it just for that reason. I sure do miss my grandpa....
i lost mine last year on new years eve, and i really like all his guns
Old December 12, 2006, 05:50 PM   #8
22-rimfire

It is really nice that you miss your Grandfather. Many young folks just write off anyone over 50 as being ancient and unimportant. Use his guns. He will be watching you.
Old December 12, 2006, 08:21 PM   #9
castnblast

Amen...I'd use Grandpa's guns for the sole sentimental reason of it all. My father passed away less than two weeks ago. You can bet my son will shoot his first deer off my lap w/ his gun, just like I did.

As for need, Art hit it right on the head though. The 30/30 is a great gun for your terrain.
Old December 12, 2006, 08:57 PM   #10
TJ Freak

Deer Hunting

I have a .30-.30 with a 2.5 power scope I use for close in shooting (my bi focals don't work well with open sights). I use a 7mm Rem 700 ADL for everything else. It shoots really flat out to 200 plus yards. I got a 6x5 at 50 yds this year with it. Do yer Gran Pappy proud and use the 7mm the next year. I use 140 gr remmy cor locs from Wal-Mart a time proven round at a good price.

We'll stop 'em at the Cascades.

RG
Old December 12, 2006, 09:33 PM   #11
BIGR

First deer hunt I went on I had my Grandpa's Model 94 30-30, that was probably a pre64 model. I was hunting with a buddy and we walked up on a 4 point and both of us shot at the same time and the deer went down. To this day we don't know for sure who took that one down, because both of us felt like we hit it. There was only one bullet hole, so we just decided to split the meat and not get into a big fuss over it. There I was about 21 years old ( I started deer hunting late) and wow, on my first deer hunt I get to fire at a deer and could have been the one that took it down. What else could I have asked for other than a giant 10 point like some lucky guys get on their early hunts. The 30-30 is an excellent close range brush gun and will take down anything you meet in the woods. Many deer have fallen at the crack of the great 30-30. Its probably the caliber that helped many settlers and old timers survive way back years ago.
Old December 13, 2006, 02:18 AM   #12
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
I have used my dads rifle a remington 700 7MM mag STW and a .30-.30. Both rifles have take whitetails out to 220 yards and two dropped on the first shot. The 7 mm Mag was a little over powered for that range on whitetails (in my opinion) and would probably be better used for antelope at 250+ ranges. (I think it was the shock of the round hitting the buck that killed it and not the 175 grain nosler that entered the left side behind the shoulder and completely pulverized the lungs) I wish I'd had a video cam scope when I took that shot. the muzzel brake removes almost all recoil (less than a .308 mag) and to see the target when hit is amazing to see the amount of energy such a small object delivers.

Edit: Specs on the .30-30: marlin lever action with 6x mounted on lookthrough rings
7mm Mag STW: Remington 700 bolt action, 4 round detatchable clip, 3x-9x vriable scope, muzzlebreak that is worth three times its weight in gold for the recoil it removes

Last edited by WeedWacker; December 13, 2006 at 04:50 AM.
Old December 13, 2006, 01:48 PM   #13
Pointer

Quote:
I'd use Grandpa's guns for the sole sentimental reason of it all
Sentiment for Grandpa?...This is good... but don't get sentimental over the gun... it's just a tool.

Damn! I'm gonna get flamed for this one.

30-06 FOREVER