The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 13, 2006, 09:55 AM   #1
BlackOpsSec

Costco official statement - they are anti-gun, anti-CCW

up until my local Costco posted a "no firearms" sign recently (since my last visit), i figured they were not anti CCW. i saw the new sign when i went to Costco last night though. i sent them an email to ask about the sign and let them know i didn't agree with it. here is Costco's reply:

-------- Original Message --------
X-Account-Key: account12
X-UIDL: UID1552-1135903131
X-Mozilla-Status: 0011
X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000
Return-path: <[email protected]>
Envelope-to: [email protected]
Delivery-date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 08:16:55 -0600
Received: from [170.167.3.101] (helo=mx1a.costco.com) by megs10.100mwh.com with esmtp (Exim 4.52) id 1GYNqI-0000GA-Pp for [email protected]; Fri, 13 Oct 2006 08:16:54 -0600
Received: from fw00099fz1.dmz.costco.com ([192.168.64.210]) by mx1a.costco.com (8.13.6/8.13.3) with ESMTP id k9DEDJJm009669 for <[email protected]>; Fri, 13 Oct 2006 07:13:23 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from msw00099p07.corp.costco.com by fw00099fz1.dmz.costco.com via smtpd (for mx1a.dmz.costco.com [192.168.64.31]) with ESMTP; Fri, 13 Oct 2006 07:16:48 -0700
Received: from msg00099p04 (unverified) by MSW00099P07.corp.costco.com (Clearswift SMTPRS 5.2.3) with ESMTP id <[email protected]> for <[email protected]>; Fri, 13 Oct 2006 07:16:30 -0700
Message-ID: <5360588.1160748989803.JavaMail.EGAINsvc@msg00099p04>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 14:15:33 +0000 (GMT)
Reply-To: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Warehouse Questions or Suggestions [#37946]
Mime-Version: 1.0

Dear Ken,

Thank you for your email to Costco Wholesale.

In reference to your inquiry on our policy disallowing the carrying of firearms in our warehouse stores.
Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.
Bringing a firearm into our warehouse does not enhance the shopping experience. We are sorry the message you are hearing is that “we don’t want you.” It is the firearms that we exclude in the warehouses, not the carriers.

Thank you,

Costco Wholesale Corporation
[email protected]

Old October 13, 2006, 10:00 AM   #2
BlackOpsSec

btw, here is contact info that i googled.

Contact info for Costco:

https://www.costco.com/CustomerServi....aspx?secure=1

James Sinegal, CEO
Costco Wholesale Corporation
999 Lake Drive
Issaquah, WA 98027
Email: [email protected]
Tel: 800-774-2678 (and Press 6) or 425-313-8163
Fax: 425-313-8103

Karen Paulsell
Administrative Assistant to Jim Sinegal
Direct phone: 425-313-8565
Fax: 425-313-8103

Muriel Cooper
Community Relations & Administration
Tel: 425-313-6182

Sharon Rugh
Executive Assistant to Richard Galanti
Direct phone: 425-313-8256
Fax: 425-313-6593

Richard Galanti
Chief Financial Officer
Direct phone: as of yet unknown

[email protected]

[email protected]

Membership / Marketing
Stephanie Bradley
Phone: (425) 313-2926
Old October 13, 2006, 10:15 AM   #3
springmom

What state are you in? In Texas, that sign and $1.00 would buy you a can of diet Coke, because it has to be a specifically-worded 30-06. DK if other states have that sort of requirement for no-carry signs, but if so, you can breeze right past it. Of course, they would have the right to ask you to leave if they "made" you.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old October 13, 2006, 10:19 AM   #4
tydephan

Hmmmmm.

This stinks.

What is their method of enforcement?
Old October 13, 2006, 10:20 AM   #5
BlackOpsSec

i'm in MO, and the sign conforms to MO CCW signage laws. of course, all they can do is ask you to leave. if you refuse, then they can call a cop to come write you a ticket. 2 tickets and your CCW permit is suspended.
Old October 13, 2006, 10:35 AM   #6
SAWBONES

Say and do as you will (protest, boycott), but you'll NEVER find that "the common man" will be comfortable with the carrying of firearms by anybody else.
This has no effect on my behaviour, however.

"Don't ask, don't tell", and "concealed means concealed" are the obvious points here.
Those worried about "being made" more than about self-protection have their priorities wrong and also obviously lack knowledge and ability to effectively and thoroughly conceal a sidearm.

To all such discussions I offer my standard response:
Carry at all times unless some external "detector" makes such impractical or impossible, due to the inconvenience or other difficulty encountered in explaining yourself to agents of "the state".
I either avoid such circumstances, or endure them as little as needs be (such as when testifying in court).
The paper "legality" of CCW at any particular place or time is an effort by lawmakers to restrict the potentially-injurious actions of violent sociopaths. Unfortunately, those efforts simply don't work, and criminal sociopaths don't obey those laws.
If you are a morally-upright, courageous, mentally-stable and sensible person, you have fulfilled the SPIRIT of the law, since you are no danger to the innocent.
If you carry discreetly and don't draw attention to yourself, no one will know if you are armed or not, and no one will be harmed by your discreet CCW, yet you WILL be capable of an armed response if a deadly threat requiring such appears.
Post office? Hospital? School? What difference does it really make?
Understand, I'm NOT advocating ANYTHING LIKE wanton disobedience to authority or disregard for rule. I'm speaking of MORAL issues which both underlie and supercede codified laws.
Some folks may find this beyond their comprehension, though those of us who have done this for decades, and have thought through the moral principles involved have no difficulty with the concept.
Old October 13, 2006, 10:58 AM   #7
CDH

Quote:
i'm in MO, and the sign conforms to MO CCW signage laws. of course, all they can do is ask you to leave. if you refuse, then they can call a cop to come write you a ticket. 2 tickets and your CCW permit is suspended.
If you are correct in this, then I wouldn't give it a second thought since you are carrying concealed anyway.

I breeze by plenty of signs like that and don't worry about it (although in Texas, as Springmom said, the signage law here is very specific and we frequently get free "passes" to carry in lots of places that aren't posted correctly ).
The first point is that if you are an experienced CCW carrier, then you won't be made in the first place. So 99.9% of the time, you go in, buy your stuff, and leave without your pistol even once magically jumping from it's holster all by itself and going crazy on your fellow shoppers.

On the off chance that you're made and they ask you to leave, then why on earth would you argue about it and not leave, expecially if it would result in a misdemeanor charge?

When the irritable lady asks you to leave with your nasty 'ol chillen' killen' weapon, just apologize and say that you're sorry but you forgot that you were wearing it because it's so comfortable and all.
Then leave your shopping cart filled to overflowing where it sits and walk out leaving her telling everyone in earshot: "Move along now, I've saved your lives and you don't have to worry about a thing" while she begins the lengthy job of restocking all the stuff you were going to buy.

Need answers to your questions?

Just ask.. Carter
Old October 13, 2006, 11:07 AM   #8
BusGunner007

Quote:
Bringing a firearm into our warehouse does not enhance the shopping experience...

We are sorry the message you are hearing is that “we don’t want you.”
Oh, really? Thank you for making that blanket statement...
Sounds like typical, arrogant, liberal "We know what is best for you" BS.

It enhances MY shopping experience because I know the company will not be protecting me or anyone else.
I'm sure it enhances the criminal's shopping experience to know the same.

Apparently, COSTCO is not concerned with the amount of $$$ CCW 'carriers' spend in their stores, either.
Old October 13, 2006, 11:22 AM   #9
springmom

Quote:
So 99.9% of the time, you go in, buy your stuff, and leave without your pistol even once magically jumping from it's holster all by itself and going crazy on your fellow shoppers.
ROTFL! Wasn't it Ted Nugent who said "If guns kill people, mine are all defective"????

I never knowingly break the law regarding concealed carry. That means, for example, that as much as I didn't want to, I obeyed the 30-06 sign when hubster was in the hospital a couple of months ago. I would NEVER suggest that anyone break the law of their state.

That said, the Missouri law is as much a sop to the anti's and a wink-wink to gun owners as I've ever heard of. If all they can do is ask you to leave (and if you do, definitely take Carter's advice, that was hilarious and very true) then who gives two hoots?

Of course, you can also start a boycott of Costco for their anti stance, and you can let them know you're doing it. I generally refuse to eat at Taco Cabana for that reason. (Although I have been allegedly seen there occasionally in the morning going up to the forest for breakfast tacos, but I'm taking the Fifth on that....)

Myself, I'd ignore the sign and just make sure it's concealed.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old October 13, 2006, 11:32 AM   #10
westphoenix

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=175554

Last edited by westphoenix; October 13, 2006 at 12:16 PM.
Old October 13, 2006, 12:41 PM   #11
Musketeer

Be polite and request they tell you how they are planning on insuring nobody carries a weapon in there. If you are being told you will not need one beccause they are providing a safe shopping experience ask how they are doing that.
Old October 13, 2006, 01:18 PM   #12
Wildalaska

They dont have that sign in Alaska. And who cares, thats why they call it concealed carry.

Getting all worked up over a corporations "policies" (other than media companies, thats a different story IMHO) is a waste of energy. I really dont care what my local grocery store does......

WildcarrycarryAlaska
Old October 13, 2006, 03:36 PM   #13
Waitone

Private property and all that. As long as it is posted nice and legal like I will do as they wish and spend my money elsewhere. Frankly, Costco is a bit too yuppified for my tastes. Sam's does just as well without all the froth. Sam's changes it policy and I go somewhere else. However, either or both company's will know exactly why I choose to reward another company.
Old October 13, 2006, 04:07 PM   #14
afsnco

What about the big bullseye they've painted on their warehouse? Why didn't they just say, "Inside find loads of defenseless bleating sheeple." I wonder how a little mass murder would affect their customer's shopping experience?

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Old October 13, 2006, 04:16 PM   #15
skeeter1

The anti-carry signs seem to be coming down. The bank and pizza shop I frequent have both taken them down. Hospitals, nursing homes, schools all still have them, but they're becoming less numerous than they were a year ago when Ohio went CCW. It seems everyone panicked and put up the signs.

If you think about it, a CCW holder had to take a course, a background check, and probably isn't a threat to anyone. If a BG comes in to rob someone, I'll give you 99-1 odds that he's not a CCW holder. He doesn't need any stinkin' CCW.
Old October 13, 2006, 04:20 PM   #16
Wildalaska

Quote:
"Inside find loads of defenseless bleating sheeple."
That is totally offensive.

hey if I chose not to carry into Costco for whatever reason, does that make me one of those sheep?

WilddudetheglassishalffullnothalfemptyAlaska
Old October 13, 2006, 09:12 PM   #17
User14

Don't ask, don't tell . Costco is still too much of an oasis from marketers. I have yet to ever see the word "SALE" there. Thus, I'll still give them my business.
Old October 13, 2006, 09:13 PM   #18
User14

WildAlaska: yes.
Old October 13, 2006, 09:17 PM   #19
Bender711

As much as I dont agree with them, they are a private company and can do what ever that want, just dont give them your money.
Old October 13, 2006, 09:54 PM   #20
User14

Bender711: That is completely wrong. I have never seen such signs at Costco. If I do, I will pretend not to notice. "Don't ask, don't tell."
Old October 13, 2006, 10:56 PM   #21
rem33

I just can't see paying for the privilege to shop. My last trip to cosco I found the same product I had just purchased at another store for about 20% less than at cosco. That was the last year Cosco got any of my money. If I am going to pay to shop I shouldn't need to compare prices. Now I have another reason.
Old October 13, 2006, 11:02 PM   #22
Trip20

"There is no tactical reason to shop at Costco." -- Anonymous
Old October 14, 2006, 12:23 AM   #23
marlboroman84

"There is no tactical reason to shop at Costco." -- Anonymous

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!
Old October 14, 2006, 08:14 AM   #24
Glockamolie

I wish there was a Costco around here, so I could not shop there because of their policy, instead of not shopping there because there isn't one.
Old October 14, 2006, 09:04 AM   #25
DonR101395

Good thing corporate policy isn't law in Florida. Concealed means concealed means concealed. If you don't like their policy don't shop there or carry concealed and shop. I won't say what I do when I see the signs.
Closed Thread