The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 30, 2013, 02:50 PM   #1
Roland Thunder

Reciprocating gun CCW laws

I live in GA and have a CCW permit issued by the state of GA. I am going to be working in NC, which reciprocates with GA, on a temporary assignment until the middle of 2014. I have 2 questions about reciprocation:
  1. Do I have to be concerned about NC car carry laws since I have a CCW from a state that reciprocates with NC?
  2. Since I will be working in NC for the next 9 months will I, at any point, be required to apply for an NC CCW permit? Many states require a person to become a citizen of that state after being employed there more than 30 days. I will continue to maintain a permanent address in GA, though.
Old September 30, 2013, 03:00 PM   #2
Wreck-n-Crew

Might get a better response in Law and Civil Rights section... http://thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41

Might get a moderator to move it.
Old September 30, 2013, 03:31 PM   #3
Roland Thunder

not sure how to get it moved
Old September 30, 2013, 03:46 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

Gun laws; NC/GA....

Im not sure if you would be considered a NC resident unless you are going to move there. If your utility bills, rent/living arrangement payments, credit cards, etc go to your address in GA then you are not a NC resident.
Id check www.gunlawguide.com & www.handgunlaw.us .

Clyde
Old September 30, 2013, 04:26 PM   #5
Wreck-n-Crew

I can let one know you want it moved if you wish.
Old September 30, 2013, 04:27 PM   #6
Kev

Read the official State of NC laws regarding this.
In a nutshell, I'm no lawyer, do what ya want...

But they honor your GA permit, any states Ccw it seems..but have their own fairly standard requests that you abide by while doing so.

http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/19be6294...ciprocity.aspx
Old September 30, 2013, 04:29 PM   #7
Kev

Also, I would say you are not being employed by a NC company, just like I am a resident of Florida but officially work for my company in Southern California.
Old September 30, 2013, 04:36 PM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInAtl
not sure how to get it moved
Just PM a moderator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreck-n-Crew
I can let one know you want it moved if you wish.
No need.
Old September 30, 2013, 04:38 PM   #9
Wreck-n-Crew

Thanks MR Spats....just finished PM to Johnska....
Old September 30, 2013, 06:15 PM   #10
Elerius

Unless you are a college student, which is a gray area, the state in which you reside 51% of the time or more is the state you "live" in. As long as all your licenses and registration and whatnot say you live there, nobody should bother you about it.
Old September 30, 2013, 07:01 PM   #11
press1280

You should have no issues WRT car carry. I doubt you'd have to apply for a NC CCW, but I'm less sure about that.
Old September 30, 2013, 07:50 PM   #12
tony pasley

Make sure you have receipts from Ga every month and you have not moved you are just visiting for a time.
Old September 30, 2013, 09:29 PM   #13
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
...Do I have to be concerned about NC car carry laws since I have a CCW from a state that reciprocates with NC?...
Yes.

You have a CCW recognized by North Carolina, so you may legally carry a gun concealed, just as if you had a CCW issued by North Carolina. But when you are in North Carolina you are subject to the laws of North Caroline, including laws relating to carrying a gun.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old October 1, 2013, 12:41 AM   #14
ClydeFrog

It's tricky....

note;
There's good advice about the state CCW policies/laws.
Id add that some states may differ on the use of OC sprays, stun guns(Tasers), impact weapons, etc.
You might be able to carry those weapons with your pistol in GA but if you travel to another location that's covered under your CCW license/gun permit, they may not include less than lethal weapons.
My state doesn't really regulate weapons like OC(pepper spray), ASP or PR24s, Tasers, etc. You can carry them openly or concealed w/o any legal hassles.

Clyde
Old October 3, 2013, 02:42 PM   #15
Roland Thunder

Let see if I have this straight. NC reciprocates with GA, so I can carry concealed in NC. NC car carry laws require that you have the gun in plain sight (e.g. unoccupied passenger seat) where an officer can clearly see it. So, are you saying that even though I have a CCW that NC honors, I still cannot carry the gun concealed when I am in my car since it must be out in the open and plainly visible.
Old October 3, 2013, 06:41 PM   #16
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
...So, are you saying that even though I have a CCW that NC honors, I still cannot carry the gun concealed when I am in my car since it must be out in the open and plainly visible....
I think the confusion may have come from the way in which the question was asked:
Quote:
I live in GA and have a CCW permit issued by the state of GA....

...Do I have to be concerned about NC car carry laws since I have a CCW from a state that reciprocates with NC?...
The correct answer is:
  1. Because you will be in North Carolina, you are subject to the laws of North Carolina.

2. So, yes, you must be concerned about the laws of North Carolina, including the laws regarding the carrying of a gun in your car.

3. But since you have a concealed weapons permit recognized by North Carolina, you may carry a gun in your car in the same way that someone with a North Carolina concealed weapons permit may -- whatever that is.

4. But I doubt that there are restrictions on a person with a recognized concealed weapons permit carrying a gun concealed in his car -- at least beyond those that might apply because of location, e. g., perhaps a parking lot of a government facility.

5. Handgunlaw.us might be a worthwhile place to check.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old October 3, 2013, 06:57 PM   #17
JERRYS.

should you get stopped for a traffic violation or such (in N.C.), you must notify the L.E.O. that you have a permit to carry (if you are carrying, or have it in your car). they are serious about this and this is different than Ga.

something simple at the start of the encounter such as "I have a permit/license to carry a gun and I am armed, how do you want to proceed"?

tier 1 encounters are different.
Old October 3, 2013, 07:15 PM   #18
ClydeFrog

Not my approach...

I would not say anything but I would hand my CCW card, DL, vehicle reg, & proof of insurance ID card first. Then, when the sworn LE officer asked me if I had any weapons or ammuntion in the vehicle, I'd answer; "yes, I have my firearm & my valid concealed carry license from ___".
That puts the ball in the LE officer's court. It's also clear, co-operative & non-threating.
I've seen traffic stop videos of sworn LE officers who, IMO, became hostile or irate with drivers way to soon over trivial matters.
Id let them "lead" the conversation so everything goes smooth.
As gun-writer & tactics instructor Massad Ayoob says; "You do not want to say; I have a GUN." to a new rookie or trooper who just got off field-training status, .

Clyde
Old October 3, 2013, 07:41 PM   #19
JimDandy

I'd start with what Clyde said, and take it a step furhter.

You hand them the papers plus CCW. Then I'd stick your hands somewhere visible. Hang em out the window, on the top of the dash, rest both wrists on the top of the wheel (but don't grip the wheel) and so on. If they ask, I'd say Yes, (Location i.e. Right/Left Ankle/Shoulder/Hip/etc. the seat over there.) I wouldn't use the word gun, firearm, or weapon.
Old October 3, 2013, 10:01 PM   #20
Roland Thunder

[CODE=Frank Ettin]But I doubt that there are restrictions on a person with a recognized concealed weapons permit carrying a gun concealed in his car -- at least beyond those that might apply because of location, e. g., perhaps a parking lot of a government facility.[/CODE]
Old October 4, 2013, 12:05 PM   #21
JimDandy

Further, IF North Carolina has an Non-Resident permit, I'd still get one of those. There's some fairly ridiculous ways reciprocal permits don't quite jibe with federal laws i.e. school zone etc., that probably wouldn't survive the first asshat prosecuting under it, but I wouldn't want to be billed for being the test case.

Basically, and unless this changed, if you're in NC, and you drive through a tiny town past a farm school, you may not be able to get through that town without passing 1000 yards from a school. I can think of one of these towns next to my grandparents farm in Iowa for example. With a out of state permit, that's against the law, with a state permit it's not. Even if the state recognizes your permit.

Given the current court's recent 2A decisions the chances of this surving an Equal Protection claim seems fairly minuscule, but again if I were spending 9 months out of state with a possible apartment next door to a school as the crow flies, or in some other way possibly unknowingly near a school, I'd get a local permit if it was available.