The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 4, 2012, 11:25 PM   #1
dlbarr

Colt Dragoons shoot to point of aim?

All I've read about the 1851 & 1860 Colts indicate they shoot high. That was my experience with my 1851 Pietta. Just wondering if this also applies to the Dragoons? Do they shoot high also?

Thinking about getting a Cimarron Whitneyville, that's why I ask. Thanks for any input.
Old October 5, 2012, 05:14 AM   #2
Hawg

I don't have one but clones are built pretty close to original specs including the sights. Originals were sighted in at 75 yards. The only exception I know of is the newer Pietta Remingtons that have taller front sights. So I would say yeah it will shoot high.
Old October 5, 2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Fingers McGee

My only experience with Dragoons is with an ASM 3rd Model. It shoots way high at 25 yards. Have also shot Walkers that shot way high.

I'm with Hawg. I'd say the Whitneyville will shot high as well.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old October 5, 2012, 11:39 AM   #4
Malamute

I think this is one of the reasons we see old guns with the sights changed. Small dovetail sights arent uncommon to see. The height (elevation) and windage could then be tuned fairly simply.

One of a pair of Colts Navies attributed to Hickok has a small dovetail front sight, the other in the pair doesnt.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old October 5, 2012, 11:14 PM   #5
Hellgate

The Uberti 3rd Mod Dragoon I have pretty much shoots POA. I think I opened up the rear sight a little and may have deepened the notch but I did not feel the need to install a taller front sight or grind down the hammer as I have done on about 4 different Navies of ASM & Pietta manufacture.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old October 6, 2012, 08:32 PM   #6
bushmaster65

My Uberti 2nd Model Dragoon I bought in July shoots 4" high and Right at 25 yrds. From COM aim I hit around the top of the Left lung on a human silhouette trgt. The Walker I bought in August shoots about the same but more centered.
Lower neck area from COM.
It doesnt bother me as I'm just trying to get range time with this new found sport and concentrate on groupings. If/when I get full of myself and start competing, I'll start making the necessary adjustments as mentioned above.