The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 11, 2012, 08:11 AM   #26
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Rebs, it seemed like you recieved your answers for your questions you originally posted. No need to get upset and sarcastic with 5R. Posting sarcastic comments like you did will turn people off to answering your future questions.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old July 11, 2012, 08:58 AM   #27
Don P

Quote:
so if anyone else wants to add anything to my question please do.I too am sorry if I hi-jacked your thread.it just seemed a good place to ask.learning is the key to safe good ammo
Seems reasonable, looking for answers to questions.

Quote:
Hi-jacking another posters thread is a good way to make friends and influence people. It is not a good place to start. If you have a question, simply start your own thread.
Seems both of you are after the same answers.
Perhaps the old pantaloons are a bit to snug? I don't see how posting some 25 posts later is high jacking a thread. Tough crowd here lately on TFL
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 11, 2012, 09:20 AM   #28
Wahoo95

I seat followed by a pass thru a LCD on my 550b

I really can spell, however Tapatalk keeps screwing everything up!
Old July 11, 2012, 11:57 AM   #29
rebs

I didn't mean to be sarcastic, I am sorry if I came off that way.
I started the thread on sizing and crimping, shaving lead or the lube oozing out and accuracy from each way of crimping. 5R posted about jacketed bullets and then invites anyone to add to his question.
Sorry I got upset but I felt that was a hi-jack and apparently he did also since he since he said he was sorry.
Not meant as an excuse but my wife has to have surgery and she will be in the hospital a minimum of 5 days and a 10 to 12 week recovery period at home. I guess I am a little on edge.
Old July 11, 2012, 12:26 PM   #30
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Hope all goes well with your wife and I wish her a speedy recovery!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old July 11, 2012, 01:35 PM   #31
5R milspec

rebs sorry if you felt that way,I sure didn't want to hi-jack your thread at all.it just happened to be on the same subject of my intrest.all so I hope the wife gets through surgery just fine with a fast recovery.

I too get that way and sometimes stay that way.its been three months now since my boy left for the second time to be at war for us.he only got 6 months to be home before he had to go back.man what a quick return.
Old July 11, 2012, 01:57 PM   #32
rebs

5R
I am sorry for it, I guess sometimes I put my mouth in gear before engaging my brain, at 65 I guess I now realize us seniors do have an occasional brain fart.
Thank you for the well wishes and I also want to wish all the best to your son. Please tell him thank you for me for serving our country.

Illinois
Thank you for your well wishes, our family is praying that it all goes well.
Old July 11, 2012, 02:18 PM   #33
5R milspec

no problem reb.and I will let him know.all so I have your 6
Old July 11, 2012, 02:57 PM   #34
jimkim

Glad I could help REBS. I posted the die body price from Lee because it might be less expensive once the P&H is calculated. Most of the suppliers have minimum orders or you pay a penalty, and the seating die body will taper crimp your rounds.
Old July 23, 2012, 05:15 PM   #35
rebs

I generally order from midwayusa and will just add it to my oprder of other things, my ar 15 really likes their hornady bulk bullets in 55 gr fmjbt

you guys that replied that you use the lee fcd, do you mean factory crimp die or just a full taper crimp die ?
Old July 23, 2012, 10:40 PM   #36
jimkim

Yes, FCD = factory crimp die.
Old July 24, 2012, 08:31 AM   #37
Sport45

I use the factory crimp die and with my .452 cast or .451 jacketed bullets I'm not seeing any swaging down of the bullets. The carbide sizer only contacts the mouth of the case at the flare as far as I can tell. Sometimes it barely kisses the case on it's way down. If I felt it actually resizing something, I'd set that cartridge aside to examine later.

For what you want to do the FCD or any other .45acp seat/crimp die body would work.
Old July 26, 2012, 08:19 AM   #38
Unclenick
Staff

Should be noted that the factory crimp die for handgun rounds is actually called the Carbide Factory Crimp Die, or CFCD, by Lee because of its carbide OD sizing ring and to keep it distinct from the original collet closing FCD design for rifle.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 26, 2012, 01:24 PM   #39
rebs

This is the way I have been doing seperate seat and crimp
1 I put a empty round in the shell holder, then screw in the seat & crimp die til it just touches the case then back off 1 full turn, now now insert a dummy round in the shell holder screw the seater plug in until it touches the bullet, that set my seating depth. then I seat all the rounds I am loading.

2 back off the seater lug and screw the seating& crimp die back down to the lock ring and crimp all the rounds I am loading.

Would yuou keep doing it this way because it is working great for me or would you buy the Lee taper crimp die ?
Old July 26, 2012, 06:17 PM   #40
paw080

Yes, seat and crimp in seperate steps, You'll get a more accurate crimp.
The crimp does affect accuracy. I recommend either the RCBS, Hornady
or the Redding taper crimp die over the Lee CFCD die. I've used Lee's die;
but I've found the Hornady and the RCBS crimp dies produce an easier to set
crimp and it's more consistant/accurate than Lee's die.

Tony
Old July 26, 2012, 07:51 PM   #41
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs
1 I put a empty round in the shell holder, then screw in the seat & crimp die til it just touches the case then back off 1 full turn, now now insert a dummy round in the shell holder screw the seater plug in until it touches the bullet, that set my seating depth. then I seat all the rounds I am loading.

2 back off the seater lug and screw the seating& crimp die back down to the lock ring and crimp all the rounds I am loading.
That works, but it sounds like you're seating without the die being locked in place. I run my lock rings down hand tight every time I use them. You might consider using one of those washers for 38 to 357 changeover under your die for seating.
Old July 26, 2012, 08:52 PM   #42
rebs

Quote:
That works, but it sounds like you're seating without the die being locked in place. I run my lock rings down hand tight every time I use them. You might consider using one of those washers for 38 to 357 changeover under your die for seating.
what washers, I am not familiar with them
Old July 26, 2012, 09:26 PM   #43
Sport45

Redding Die Spacer
Old July 27, 2012, 01:42 AM   #44
jimkim

Any washer will work for what you're doing. It only needs to move the crimp portion of the die out of the way.
Old July 27, 2012, 05:52 AM   #45
rebs

Quote:
Any washer will work for what you're doing. It only needs to move the crimp portion of the die out of the way.
How thick would it need to be ?
Old July 27, 2012, 05:55 AM   #46
rebs

Quote:
Thank you for the info. Thank you for the link. I am thinking a stainless steel washer.

Old July 27, 2012, 06:37 AM   #47
Sport45

One turn of your die is about .070". So anything thicker than that would back you out at least as far as you're going now.

You could probably cut your own from pasteboard. The only function in your case is to hold the die out a bit and keep it from turning.
Old July 29, 2012, 08:05 PM   #48
rebs

Thanks for all the help, I got a stainless washer today and it worked great.
Old July 30, 2012, 10:24 AM   #49
joneb

Quote:
The washer that came with my 38spl/357mag RCBS dies measures .130"
Adjust the dies for 38spl, when loading 357mag the spacer washer is only used with the expander/flare die and the seating/crimp dies.
Old July 31, 2012, 07:38 AM   #50
WESHOOT2

understanding the LEE Carbide Factory Crimp Die for handgun cartridges

Step one: Acquire quality factory cartridge.
Step two: Attempt to 'resize' it using the LEE die; touch the case?
No?
Hmmm....

Step three: Do the same with your handload; touch the case?
Yes?
Hmmm....