The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old November 18, 2010, 03:15 AM   #1
LanceOregon

Tragic News: Poachers are Destroying Oregon's Deer Population

The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife decided to launch an extensive investigation, in order to figure out why Oregon's Deer population is in such sharp decline. The study has now been concluded, and the sad findings are this:

Poaching is taking place in record numbers in Oregon, and is now so high, that is matching the legal harvest by hunters.

Even worse, the investigation determined that poachers are primarily killing does, which has a terrible impact on deer reproduction.

With Gray Wolves now in Oregon, and with the Federal government preventing Oregon from restricting their growth in numbers in any way, wildlife officials are predicting a grim future for deer hunting in Oregon. Predators, both human and animal, may continue to take an increasing toll on the population.

With the state government bankrupt due to decreased tax revenues from the bad economy here, wildlife officials are left wondering what, if anything, can be done stop this negative trend from increasing in severity.

Is poaching becoming a bigger problem where you live?

See:

http://www.kval.com/outdoors/fishhunt/108530584.html

Old November 18, 2010, 03:43 AM   #2
Doodlebugger45

I'm not an expert. In fact, I'm more skeptical than ever about the "experts". Seems like they are working for agencies that have their own agendas.

But I don't think we have a significant poaching problem here in Wyoming. It exists I'm sure, but I doubt if it has a big impact on our hunting.

I do know though that we have a wolf problem that dwarfs any other effect our big game herd has faced in 90 years.

The "experts" say our elk, deer, and moose populations are affected by drought, people, pollution, and bad karma, but certainly not by wolves. Wolves do nothing but promote good vibes and healthy herds according to them. These "experts" are so convincing that I'm thinking of getting a couple wolves to turn loose with my goat herd to increase their health.
Old November 18, 2010, 04:25 AM   #3
stevelyn

Quote:
I'm not an expert. In fact, I'm more skeptical than ever about the "experts". Seems like they are working for agencies that have their own agendas.
I'm convinced that it has to do with a much larger plan to eventually control the food supply. Of course I'm sure that I'll be accused of tinfoil hattery.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old November 18, 2010, 05:23 AM   #4
LanceOregon

Quote:
The "experts" say our elk, deer, and moose populations are affected by drought, people, pollution, and bad karma, but certainly not by wolves. Wolves do nothing but promote good vibes and healthy herds according to them. These "experts" are so convincing that I'm thinking of getting a couple wolves to turn loose with my goat herd to increase their health.
Well, our state wildlife biologists had developed a wolf plan for Oregon, that would have allowed for wolves guilty of livestock predation to be hunted down and killed once there were a total of 7 packs established in the state. It also allows for a wolf hunting season.

However, since the federal courts re-listed the wolf as Federally endangered, Oregon's wolf management program is now totally on hold. The state is now powerless to manage the animals in any way. Their numbers can continue to grow, no matter how much game and livestock they are killing.

Sort of an insane policy to have, if you ask me.

Most ironically, the first formation of a government in Oregon took place when the first farmers and ranchers in the Willamette Valley got together for a meeting to organize the eradication of wolves in the valley, in order to protect the livestock of the settlers, which was so crucial to their survival.

We have gone from one extreme to the other in our state, when it comes to controlling wolves.

Old November 18, 2010, 11:19 AM   #5
davlandrum

Lance, Thanks for posting that. Before I read the article, I assumed it was going to be the blacktails that were getting poached due to the higher density of population in the valley. This doesn't say that isn't true, just doesn't address it. Of course, the area they were studying has higher human population than a lot of eastern Oregon.

I have not noticed a significant reduction of mule deer population in the area we hunt (when we can get tags), but it is a long way from any population centers.

I also found it interesting the number of cougar kills. And the problem with cougar kills is it is not contingent on human population centers, so I would think those numbers would translate more easily to statewide numbers.

I am for bringing back dogs for cats and bears, and baiting bears. That would have a far greater impact than the few packs of wolves.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 18, 2010, 12:26 PM   #6
BIG P

I wonder if poaching is the right word for whats going on up there.IF the GOV.is bankrupt & the jobs are few & far between and your saying they are taking mostly doe's sounds more like it maybe more of a food thing than poaching for trophys.IF this could be possible IMO thats not poaching times are hard and we should'nt wrong anyone trying to feed there family after all the other things we turned a blind eye too. I just saying.
Old November 18, 2010, 01:07 PM   #7
davlandrum

Big P - sorry, I will not agree with your logic. Would you say the same thing about robbing a convenience store or stealing a farmers cow?

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 18, 2010, 01:30 PM   #8
Doodlebugger45

That's a valid concern BIG P. And I would certainly have more sympathy toward a guy just trying to feed his family compared to a guy poaching just to take the horns. But... we have laws for a reason, and poaching is still against the law no matter the circumstances.
Old November 18, 2010, 01:38 PM   #9
Edward429451

I do agree with Big P. Robbing a conveinance store is NOT the same.

If times are hard (they are), and a man has a hungry family and has a gun with a few rounds, he could go into town and rob the quickie mart, or head up the hill and (work) for his food. The lazy criminal scum will go take someone elses food money. The bigger man does what he has to do to feed his family without taking from others or crossing the line into criminality.

You may not agree. You may not have a family. This is ok. This is one of those fine lines of moral behavior that is acceptable in very special narrow set of circumstances (similar to lieing to save life as expressed in Peetzakillas essay recently).

We do not know if that is what is really happening in Oregon but it is likely with the shape of the economy.
Old November 18, 2010, 02:06 PM   #10
Daryl

Quote:
Is poaching becoming a bigger problem where you live?
I'm not sure yet where I am (I suspect it is, since I've seen evidence of poaching in the past here), but where I recently moved from the poaching is decimating the deer herds.

The sad part is that the Az G&F dept blames it on drought, predation, and other issues. The truth is, there are still far more deer in the backcountry than there are in vehicle-accessible areas. Poachers are generally lazy, and don't want to walk all that far.

I disagree with it being "acceptable" for the most part. If a man and/or his family is truly starving, and it's a matter of life and death, them I'm sure I could accept that. In truth, I've never known anyone that was that hungry, and I've been hungry a time or two myself. There's very few places or situations where a person couldn't come by a meal honestly if (s)he's willing to try.

Like many, I live on a limited income, and even have trouble making ends meet at times. Somehow I manage to pay the bills each month, and my freezer stays pretty full. It's really not that hard, and I've yet to have to break the law to make it work.

Daryl
Old November 18, 2010, 03:07 PM   #11
Irish80prf

Who is the person stealing from when they "poach" a deer to feed their family. The government? What man has a right to say you can't take an animal that was put on this earth for our use. If it is for a reason like feeding your family it is not wrong. Stealing from a farmer or a store is a different thing totally, that is someone else's work and lively hood you are stealing. Animals have been here for our use as long as we've been around, it has just been in the last 100 years or less that the government started telling us how we could use their deer. I know there has to be regulation on hunting and I agree with that completely but in a situation like stated above there shouldn't have to be regulation. I don't know if you have kids or not but if you do try and tell me there is anything you wouldn't do for their survival and well being.

I agree I've never met anyone that hard up, but I don't doubt there are a whole lot of them out there that the likes of us with computers and jobs will ever know about.

Last edited by Irish80prf; November 18, 2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old November 18, 2010, 04:08 PM   #12
davlandrum

Irish - you can't have it both ways:

Quote:
What man has a right to say you can't take an animal that was put on this earth for our use.
Quote:
I know there has to be regulation on hunting and I agree with that completely
One thing I do know is there are 2 pages of Help Wanted ads in our newspaper every day, but Oregon unemployment is higher than most of the country. I know if I was handed my last paycheck, I would be working for someone within 24 hours. It might not be a great job, or even a good job, but I would have a job.

I would do anything for my kids survival and well being, but teaching them that breaking the law is OK is not what I want my kids to learn.

It isn't the government poachers are stealing from - it is the people. It is regulated so the resource is available to the people.

Old November 18, 2010, 04:18 PM   #13
Buzzcook

Quote:
Who is the person stealing from when they "poach" a deer to feed their family. The government?
Nope the poacher is stealing from me and every other hunter and their families now and into the future.

Quote:
I don't know if you have kids or not but if you do try and tell me there is anything you wouldn't do for their survival and well being.
I believe in supporting and expanding the social safety net. It's cheaper than allowing poaching for the "deserving" poor.

Last edited by Buzzcook; November 18, 2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old November 18, 2010, 04:22 PM   #14
PTS1

Although I am sure poaching is a problem here in Texas, it is ironic that the 2010-2011 State Fish/Hunting guide has in big bold letters in on one of the first pages "Use All of Your Tags". I assume this is to try and regulate the overpopulation of deer in Texas, especially in the hill country. One of the prices for having 98% private land in the state. I have been told that some of the people who poach do so because they have no place to hunt without paying a minum of $100 a day plus kill fees. Doesn't make it right, but it is a reason.
Old November 18, 2010, 04:26 PM   #15
Irish80prf

I think you could have it both ways. Regulation the way it is now for regular hunting, but I also think you should be able to apply for special permits to hunt out of necessity. People apply for food stamps and well fare every day why not apply for a permit that allows you to do some work for your meal. I wasn't very clear on my thoughts before and you got me thinking, so I thought I would explain a little better. Those permits don't exist to my knowledge so that's why I said "poaching". Yes and I agree with you on the working in 24 hours statement, couldn't be any truer.
Old November 18, 2010, 05:06 PM   #16
Buzzcook

Here's the fees for hunting/fishing licenses in WA.
They aren't that expensive.

https://fishhunt.dfw.wa.gov/wdfw/licenses_fees.html
Old November 18, 2010, 05:06 PM   #17
davlandrum

Irish - I am all for additional tags - heck I could even support reduced license/tag fees if someone was receiving government aid such as food stamps.

We can form a political party - Fur and Fin, and have this as our main idea!

Old November 18, 2010, 05:53 PM   #18
youngunz4life

I would have to see more evidence to believe their investigation results. There will always be up and down periods over longer and also shorter periods of time, and sometimes the data can't or doesn't accurately reflect that.
Old November 18, 2010, 06:37 PM   #19
LanceOregon

Quote:
I am for bringing back dogs for cats and bears, and baiting bears. That would have a far greater impact than the few packs of wolves.

Yes, that was a HUGE mistake when voters past those limitations.

The wolf issue is not anything affecting game at this point in time. But it looms on the horizon as becoming an additional threat, if the state is not allowed by the federal government to manage the animals. So while there is no current threat, the potential in the future is very significant.

One of the biggest predator rights organizations in our country is located right here in Lane County next to us. Here is their website:

http://www.predatordefense.org/index.htm

They want all hunting and killing of coyotes, cougars, and wolves to be completely outlawed.

Old November 18, 2010, 06:38 PM   #20
davlandrum

+1 to youngunz - sample size is small for statistical validity.

Also noted in the article
Quote:
Wallowa County, which is the size of Delaware and Rhode Island and has a population of 7,150, has three game officers
That would be part of the problem.

Old November 18, 2010, 06:42 PM   #21
LanceOregon

Quote:
It isn't the government poachers are stealing from - it is the people. It is regulated so the resource is available to the people.
That is really it in a nutshell. If ODFW is not able to effectively manage our wildlife populations, then everyone loses, including future generations.

Old November 18, 2010, 06:46 PM   #22
davlandrum

There have been 2 or 3 "cougar-in-the-subdivision" in the last year. Unfortunately, someone will have to get seriously hurt before attitudes will change.

Old November 18, 2010, 07:02 PM   #23
LanceOregon

Quote:
We do not know if that is what is really happening in Oregon but it is likely with the shape of the economy.
I think that you are right about that point. I do think that the poor economy here is indeed a factor.

Oregon's official unemployment rate has been stuck for almost a year and a half, hovering at 10.5% It is clear to me that the state is manipulating the numbers for political reasons in order to keep them lower than what they really are, as it is unnatural for the rate to stay that consistent for so very long. There is no precedent for it in history.

My own bank, which used to be the biggest privately owned bank in Oregon, failed a couple of months ago. Cost the FDIC a ton of money to cover everyone's accounts. The state's unemployment department also immediately removes people from the ranks of the unemployed, if they don't stay in communications with the department. So if someone's benefits run out, and they no longer stay active at the department's website, they get automatically dropped. No checking is done whether they have actually managed to get a job or not.

I see so many politicians talking about how important it is to do something about the economy, yet, I truly see NOTHING being done that will do something significant that could actually make a difference.

I certainly don't see the economy improving any time soon. And because of that, significant poaching may be with us for some time.

Old November 18, 2010, 07:35 PM   #24
LanceOregon

davlandrum:

Checkout Oregon Field Guide on Oregon Public TV tonight at 8:30pm.

Tonight's show is titled: "Living with Wolves"

Will be interesting to see if this program is fair and balanced, or not.

Old November 18, 2010, 07:36 PM   #25
davlandrum

it won't be - I'd put money on it.

Closed Thread