The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 24, 2004, 08:30 PM   #1
dodgestdshift

Bullet penetration and expansion tests #2

Continuing my tests in 44 Magnum, by comparing their penetration and expansion in milk jugs, fired from a Ruger Redhawk fired from 25 yds. The terminal velocities are calculated from chronograph readings at 10 feet, and calculated to 25 yds.

The results of 2 more Speer bullets, I have tested are as follows:

Bullet: Speer 240 gr Mag tip hollow point Caliber 44 (.429 in)
Range: 25 yds Calculated Terminal Velocity 1352
Rotational Speed 51616 rpm

Shot 1

Remaining Wgt 197 gr Measured Terminal Diameter .582 in.
Penetration Depth 30-36 in
Comments Fragments in 4 th jug. recovered core in jug 6

Shot 2

Remaining Wgt 165.9 gr Measured Terminal Diameter .585 in
Penetration Depth 18-24in
Comments Separated Jacket found in 3rd jug, core found in 4 th jug.

Bullet: Speer 200 gr Mag Tip hollow point Caliber 44 (.429 in)
Range: 25 yds Calculated Terminal Velocity 1393
Rotational Speed 54216 rpm

Shot 1

Remaining Wgt N/A Measured Terminal Diameter N/A
Penetration Depth 12-18 in
Comments Fragments found in jug 3, no damage to jug 4 core not found.

Shot 2

Remaining Wgt 133.7 gr Measured Terminal Diameter .545 in.
Penetration Depth 12-18 in
Comments Fragments in jug 3, bullet core and fragments found in jug 4.

As far as I can see, these tend to fragment the petals of the expansion. But except for one shot the cores and jackets stayed together. One shot though the core separated, and another the core could not be found.

Lessons learned from these tests on my procedure.

1) Penetration hard to measure, especially when the bullet fragments. Even when you can measure it, you can only measure to the nearest 6 inches, the thickness of a milk jug.
2) Jugs have to be marked better. The flying water tends to wash away any indentifying markings on the jugs making identification difficult.
3) Tried to place paper between jugs to get an idea of wound cavity. Unsuccessful, since the paper was blow apart and badly doused.
4) Make sure the stand is steady, if it collapses results are difficult or impossible to read, and judge.

Personal Opinion.

I really like the two Speer Gold Dot bullets, I tested.

Finally, I intend to retest at 50 yards, when I rebuild my supply of milk jugs.

Don N.
Old May 26, 2004, 11:35 PM   #2
bdhawk

i had decent success with a similar experiment. i used one gallon plastic zip lock bags. milk jugs are easier to handle, but the hardness of the jugs' plastic will change your results. i made a long 'V' with some scrap lumber. i stacked the bags close together in the 'V'. the hard part was to make sure that the shot was dead on center or the bullet would leave the bags before their energy was spent. sometimes the bullet would veer off course for no apparent reason. i got some awesome, really wicked expansion, from some old black talons in .45 ACP and 9MM. the test was a comparison of black talon. winchester silvertips, and hi-shocks (not hydrashocks). the silvertips had the worst preformance and they lost their jacket. the hi-shock was in the middle with decent expansion and penetration. the black talons won in expansion and penetration. i did the same experiment later on using some 9MM hydrashocks. they did very well, too.

BTW it is kinda messy making the range muddy.
Old May 27, 2004, 04:02 PM   #3
Dusty Miller

It'd be nice to have a range where they'd allow me to do this kind of testing. Even the gun club I used to belong to wouldn't allow anything but paper targets.