The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 27, 2008, 02:58 AM   #1
Buzzcook

Why I don't hunt with dogs

At least not for bambi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kodak%20Moments%20Picture%2011.jpg (69.9 KB, 320 views)
Old December 27, 2008, 03:09 AM   #2
hoytinak

Man, I just spit beer all over my monitor.......
Old December 27, 2008, 07:37 AM   #3
shortwave

Excellent response hoyintak. In State of Ohio its illegal to hunt deer with dogs, reason being, we like to have a deerherd. Think of the mamed deer we`d have running around. Most shots would be at deer running at warped speed:barf:. Legal to hunt rabbits with dogs but deer don`t multiply like rabbits. FYI, its legal to track downed deer with leashed dog.
Old December 27, 2008, 09:47 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

"Think of the mamed deer we`d have running around."

shortwave, you have no way of knowing that as fact. Further, it's not fact, from what I've seen as an observer in Florida.

How could it affect the numbers? There is still a season limit as to take and all that other regulatory stuff.

The big problem in today's world of small tracts of land is that of trespass.

Morality? Hunting with dogs goes back thousands of years. In the U.S. it was traditional in the south, with the thick timber and brush. And look at all the threads here about hog-hunting with dogs.

Suggested reading: Robert Ruark's "The Old Man And The Boy".
Old December 27, 2008, 10:49 AM   #5
gendoc

yep, thats a jack for ya!!!
i've got one and he's alot of fun.
that is a j/r isn't it ??
mine is much smaller.
Old December 27, 2008, 11:13 AM   #6
texfar

When I was stationed in Little Creek Va., was invited by civy friend to his hunt club. Stands were drawn, and that was it. You could not stalk and was the luck of the draw if the dogs came your way with anything. Was my most boring hunting ever. Up side is that all deer killed were split up between the members, so most of the time all went home with at least some meat. Personally don't like to hunt with dogs except for game birds. Maybe could get into it under the right type of hunting conditions.
Old December 27, 2008, 11:16 AM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

It goes both ways...

And hog doggers have similar situations to deal with...

Brent
Old December 27, 2008, 12:10 PM   #8
jamiejaf

Ha ha ha ha. That dog getting humped by the deer looks ******.
Old December 27, 2008, 12:17 PM   #9
sserdlihc

Rotflmmfao!!!!
Old December 27, 2008, 02:18 PM   #10
shortwave

Art, with due respect my post didn`t refer to hunting in Florida. Refered to Ohio. I should have been more specific. Facts I refer to come from ODNR`S reasoning why its illegal in this state and yes small tracts of land and trespassing are a big part of the reason as well as safety. Wooded, hilly terrain and shooting at running deer is usually not a good combo. I assure you mamed deer would be a problem. Also, people tend to get excited and empty their shotgun with no regards of backstop.Safety! We are also a plugged(3 shot only) shotgun legal state. No rifle. If you`ve ever hunted here opening day of shotgun(especially on public land), that law is also self explanatory . I think somewhere in the laws it must state "if you pull trigger once you have to empty gun". I`ve hunted Ohio for 40 yrs.,know the laws and reasons for them. As far as hunting(deer,hogs) anywhere else, those States determine whether the terrain is suitable or not and if I lived in an area where it was legal to hunt hogs with dogs, Morality would not be an issue. Don`t see anything wrong with it and didn`t mean to imply that. Would love to someday hook up with Hogdogs for a hunt as long as he kept that deer and dog in pics away from me. PS, thats a nice buck Buzzcock, think pups in love also.

Last edited by shortwave; December 27, 2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old December 27, 2008, 03:15 PM   #11
Creature

I have run across some fellas who I wouldnt hunt with for the same reason...
Old December 27, 2008, 04:15 PM   #12
gyp_c2

well...

...actually hunting with dogs is very civilized...They aren't very close to the deer usually, they are trailing and telling you how and where...usually in a large circle...think miles...
And by the time the deer get back to the location, they are just creeping along, far, far ahead of the hounds...
There simply isn't much room for it anymore...
Where there is, it isn't popular...
Lost to progress...like so many other things...I love the sound of hounds...just don't get to hear them anymore...
Old December 27, 2008, 07:26 PM   #13
VaFisher

Here on the east coast of VA it a great way to hunt deer with hounds being we have so many swamps it helps get the deer out to dry land sometimes. Not to meantion the fellowship of a fine hunt club to ensure enough land to hunt now and in the future.
Old December 27, 2008, 11:25 PM   #14
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

shortwave, you sound as though Ohio is like my father's comment about going hunting on public land in Colorado, way many decades ago: "It sorta reminded me of D-Day, except there was more shooting in Colorado."
Old December 28, 2008, 12:51 AM   #15
shortwave

Art, its bad enough I simply just don`t hunt public land anymore. Have witnessed and been involved in just to many close calls over the years. People shooting with no backstops,shooting at anything that moves(one farmer here has two mules he actually paints big orange X`s on thier sides before gun season), taking desperation shots at distances they don`t have a snowballs chance of humanely killing animal:barf:. Trespassing-Can right a book on topic, I live in the middle of 34 acres I own, thats mostly surrounded by approx. 100 acres deep woods, neighbor owns. Had two guys literally try to drag a deer through my yard during bow season. Wasn`t bad enough they where trespassing but deer was shot with high powered rifle(hole size of baseball noted,side of deer), they went to jail. Gotta 22cal. lodged in living room knotty-pine wall as constant reminder of another squirrel hunting trespasser. I love to hunt and most hunters are respectable,courtious people that love and respect the animals they`re pursueing but as with anything, there`s the slob hunters which I`ve come to have zero tolerance for. These are the type`s that give us all a bad rep.
Old December 28, 2008, 01:06 AM   #16
Swampghost

Good pics. hogdogs! I was between sips.