The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 30, 2008, 05:28 PM   #1
shortwave

Plastic Fouling-Whats the Best Cleaner?

What cleaners have those of you shooting sabots out of inlines with magnum charges found to work the best for removing the plastic fouling? I`m currently using T/C #13. Just wondering if there`s something better. Thanks in advance, Shortwave.
Old November 30, 2008, 07:31 PM   #2
Pahoo

Sorry partner, I'm stuck on TC #13 as well. I have also used knights EZ clean and Butch's bore shine and they seem to work well.

Be Safe !!!
Old December 1, 2008, 12:48 PM   #3
shortwave

Thanks Pahoo. Seem to get more plastic fouling with the heavier charges( 120-150grns). Hope someone makes(or comes out with) a special purpose,strong cleaner for removing plastic but as of yet I have`nt found it.
Old December 1, 2008, 01:32 PM   #4
simonkenton

Acetone will remove plastic fouling.
Old December 1, 2008, 06:53 PM   #5
shortwave

Thanks Simon, will acetone harm stainless? Trying to come up with a solution to use for extended range sessions. What would your application regiment using acetone be?
Old December 1, 2008, 08:32 PM   #6
wpcexpert

I saw the acetone idea from a different thread and tried out the other day. It seemed to remove more black "stuff" from my barrel after it was clean with Sweets 7.62. I used the acetone just like any other solvent. But after only a few swipes, they too were clean comming out. I'll continue to use it though. I was using on a stainless barrel.

On my blackpowder rigs, I use Butch's Bore Shine. Never used the T/C #13, but I know that the Bore shine makes short work on the poowder residue. Couple patches of Shine, 7-8 swipes with a 20 gauge brush, 2 more Bore Shine patches, and drypatch till dry/clean. Slick as new. I also clean like that after every shot.

By the way are you using a smokless or blackpowder rig?
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old December 2, 2008, 12:23 PM   #7
shortwave

wpcexpert, currently using American Pioneer powder. Have used Pyrodex,T7 and Goex. Did you purchase your acetone from hardware store or was it something designed(mixed with something else) especially for guns?
Old December 2, 2008, 12:36 PM   #8
Mark whiz

T/C makes a plastic cleaner known as Advanced Sabot Shooters Solvent. I've used it and seems to work ok - these days I just used straight acetone from Wally World, hardware store, etc. Acetone really does not like plastic but has no appreciable affect on metal. it's also pretty good for bleaching out a wooden stock before a refinish.
After using acetone in the bore, make sure to scrub it a little more with your standard cleaner so you make sure it didn't just melt the plastic and smear it thru the bore.
!

Last edited by Mark whiz; December 2, 2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old December 2, 2008, 01:37 PM   #9
ZeSpectre

I really don't know if it'd work for blackpowder guns but I use Gunzilla on my shotguns (including my rifled slug barrel) and it does a GREAT job of loosening all the plastic "snot" from the wads and sabot rounds so I can brush it out.
Old December 2, 2008, 02:39 PM   #10
Wild Bill Bucks

Don't take this wrong guys, but since I switched to the MMP sabots, I haven't had any trouble with plastic being in my barrel. (was using Hornady & Thompsons)

I am presently shooting an encore with 120 grains of 777 and a Savage MLII
with smokeless, and have seen no plastic fouling in either rifle with the MMPs.

I shoot the Encore probably 50 or 60 rounds a year, and the Savage 200 or 300 rounds a year. I clean the Encore with TC #13, and the Savage with Hoppes, and neither rifle shows any plastic after cleaning.

Just my $.02
Old December 2, 2008, 02:58 PM   #11
simonkenton

I shoot a Savage with smokeless powder. Normally I do not have a problem with plastic fouling.
What happened was, about 4 years ago one of the gearheads over on the Savage forum was talking about making squib loads using Bullzeye powder.
This is a very hot pistol powder. He was talking about using 5 grains of Bullzeye with the sabot, and a round ball.
So I thought I would give it a try. Might be fun to have a low powered zero recoil load, fun to shoot squirrels or rabbits. I recall, I used a few shots each, with 3 grains, 5 grains, and 7 grains.
The stuff wasn't worth a crap for a squib load, just wouldn't shoot right.
Then, when I tried to load with my regular load, I could barely get the sabot down the bore. I discovered that my barrel was coated with plastic.
I removed the breech plug and got a can of acetone at the hardware store. I ran 6 or 7 acetone patches down the bore and the plasticwas gone! That stuff really worked great.
Old December 2, 2008, 05:50 PM   #12
wpcexpert

Shortwave, I just use the straight Acetone from Walmart.

I also use the MMP Sabots in my Savage Smokeless. That may be why I didn't get that much plactic residue after the acetone treatment. Like I said, I got a few patches slightly dirty, but nothing major.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old December 2, 2008, 07:36 PM   #13
simonkenton

wpcexpert: What load do you shoot in your Savage?
Have you gotten any deer with it?
Old December 2, 2008, 11:22 PM   #14
wpcexpert

Sorry for the long wait.

My current load, and I've still got some work to do, is

42gr of IMR SR 4759
250gr Hornady SST w/ short MMP
Win primer

Decent groups. from 2" to .2"(stacked on one another)
This is by far the most frustrating hobbie I've ever started. The biggest varience I've found is bullet seat pressure. But I've still got some work to do to fine tune and get what I want out of the rifle.

I did take one good buck with it...go here...http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=319581
- Thomas Jefferson
Old December 3, 2008, 10:51 AM   #15
shortwave

wpcexpert and simonkenton, thanks to both of you for response`s. Will be trying the acetone trick. Congrats on that nice buck wpc. If you guys are still deer hunting, best of luck!
Old December 3, 2008, 01:49 PM   #16
simonkenton

My computer wouldn't draw up that link, the old dial up is pretty slow on links sometimes.
I believe that 4759 is about the same as my powder, VV N110.
I am shooting 43 grains and the 250SST.
Last year I got the biggest buck of my life with that load, the 8 pointer field dressed at 205. Lung shot, he didn't go far.
I also took a nice 6 pointer two years ago with a high shoulder shot, dropped him in his tracks.
Do you ever talk to the boys on the Savage forum:

http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=Savage

Some very knowledgeable guys over there. Several of them have had problems with the 250 SST blowing up on shoulder shots on big deer, shooting at high speed, and they have lost the deer.
Due to this potential problem I am switching over to the 300XTP for next year, don't have time to go to the range to dial it in for this year.