The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 17, 2012, 11:09 PM   #1
AdamSean

Opinions on coyotes

We have been having quite a few reports of coyote sightings and attacks in urban areas here so I am getting prepared to defend the family pets. I am looking for a little advice on effective kills of a coyote with a .22 long rifle. Before everyone starts recommending using something more powerful, let me state that I am in a small community of 6 houses off the main road. I have decided to use a .22 because of the low noise and reduced potential for collateral damage. I understand shot placement is key. I got that down. I will only be shooting at 40 yards max if they come into the yard after the cats. At that range I can pick off popcicle sticks. I am most interested in hearing what most of you would use in the choice of ammunition. I have 2 different premium choices in my current armory. One is the famous CCI Stingers 32gr hollow point moving at 1640 fps. The other is the CCI Mini Mag 40gr copper plated round nose moving at 1235 fps. Two questions:

1. Hollow point or round nose?
2. Faster and standard weight or slower and heavy weight?

My plan was to use the Mini Mags paired with a head shot. I don't know how tough a coyote's skull is so penetration was my biggest concern.
Old August 18, 2012, 12:01 AM   #2
Backwoodsboy

Either round will work well within the 40 yards you stated. You have already stated the need for a head shot which in my opinion is exactly what you need to do when using a .22lr. However you mention that you chose that round due to the "reduced potential for collateral damage". Make no mistake a .22lr will cause damage and in some cases penetrate walls depending on range.
Old August 18, 2012, 12:24 AM   #3
mete

Normally I wouldn't suggest RN, only HP. But CCI has that SGB flat nose which is very effective , more so than HP and potent for something as large as coyote.
Old August 18, 2012, 12:06 PM   #4
Hunter Customs

At the distance you stated the 22 will work just fine, however keep in mind that your shots will most likely be at a moving target, and the head is not that large.

Like you I would still plan on head shots and do my practicing on moving targets.
If you have someone and a safe barrier they can be behind have them roll blue rock (clay piegons) across in front of you.
If that's not feasible you can build a start ramp that you activate to release the blue rock.

I would use hollow points, that should minimize ricochets in case of a miss.
There was a case in Missouri where a small girl was killed by a 22 ricochet, to my understanding she was a half mile from where the shot was fired.

Good luck stay safe.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old August 18, 2012, 12:51 PM   #5
Scorch

22LR will kill a coyote with a well-placed shot at the ranges stated. I will probably not anchor it right away, but it will kill it fairly quickly. On moving targets, a chest shot is the ticket (they can run up to 200 yds before they pile up), on standing targets a head shot will drop them on the spot.
Old August 18, 2012, 02:13 PM   #6
rgrundy

A 17 HMR is probably a better bet. The bullets go to pieces quickly and may not end up where they shouldn't.
Old August 18, 2012, 07:40 PM   #7
AdamSean

I no longer have a .17 HMR, but I do know the .17 HMR will penetrate 3 walls. Trust me on this. I was the one that fired that shot. I will not risk hitting any moving targets. If I can get them still, I won't miss.

Also, the sound of a .17 HMR is much louder than a .22 LR.
Old August 19, 2012, 03:40 PM   #8
buck460XVR

At 40 yards, I would not worry about making headshots. 'Yotes are thin skinned and @ that range, a .22LR would penetrate the chest cavity and lead to a quick kill. If you've ever seen a coyote skull, the brain cavity is very small, providing a very small target and there is a larger percentage of the head that you could hit and lead only to a long and painful death. Even cat-eatin' coyotes deserve better. Huntin' 'yotes won't stand still long in a urban environment where they have little cover.

I must add tho........IMHO, cats running loose, domestic pets or feral, do more damage to general wildlife than coyotes. In that sense, coyotes are helpful predators.
Old August 19, 2012, 03:54 PM   #9
YARDDOG(1)

"['yotes won't stand still long in a urban environment where they have little cover.]"

A little food would help ; )
Y/D
Old August 19, 2012, 05:48 PM   #10
shortwave

With house's around, I wouldn't use the RN and wouldn't go for a head shot. Wrong angle and you may even get a ricochet off the skull.

Researching the distance a 22lr can travel would be my concern and many manufacturers report a mile.
Old August 19, 2012, 07:44 PM   #11
farmerboy

A 22 would be fine. And a head shot would also be idea but if they come close to your house why don't you find some land nearby and get permission to hunt and use any rifle or shotgun.
Old August 19, 2012, 10:27 PM   #12
AdamSean

There are only 5 other houses in my tiny neighborhood backed up to thick forest. I have no idea who owns that land. We have not seen them around this neighborhood yet and I don't need to go actively hunt them unless they were an actual problem. The only thing I see regularly is a grey fox every so often. Right now the only thing I am trying to eliminate are about 15 feral cats. Good practice for if a coyote actually shows up. I am actually hoping that if I can get rid of the feral cats we will have coyotes coming this close. Makes sense to me as nobody here leaves their trash out or anything. Just the stupid old lady who leaves food out for the feral cats.
Old August 19, 2012, 11:22 PM   #13
JohnKSa
Staff

I understand where you're coming from but I have to say that I'd MUCH rather field complaints resulting from firing a noisy shotgun than have to deal with the aftermath of rifle bullet holes where they don't belong.
Old August 19, 2012, 11:34 PM   #14
AdamSean

I am not really concerned with shooting any buildings. There is nothing behind my house but woods. The main reason for using a .22 is that the only 2 guns I own right now is my Mossberg 702 Plinkster and my Beretta Nano 9mm. As soon as I get back to work and make some extra money, I will pick up a nice 12 gauge and a .270 before deer season rolls in again. But for now, my best option is a .22 LR. From what everyone is saying, I think I am going to rely on the CCI Stingers with a head shot.
Old August 20, 2012, 10:47 AM   #15
L_Killkenny

Yes, a .22lr is well suited for the job. More than likely won't drop it on the spot unless you hit the CNS but we're talking vermin here right? You don't worry about a roach or rat when using poison do ya. As long as it dies I could care less if it's on the spot or 200 yards away.

Couple notes: 1) Use CCI Velocitors. Stingers don't have very good penetration (designed for small rodents) and the Velocitors effectively split the power difference between MiniMags (and similar) and the .22M. 2) For the job and ranges you are talking about don't waist money on one of the rimfire magnums. Results will only be marginally better than with the .22lr Velocitors and either will kill a coyote dead with identical shot placement. Coyote may just run a few steps less with the rimfire magnums is all.
Old August 20, 2012, 06:27 PM   #16
AdamSean

Its funny you bring up the Velocitors. I really want to use those, but nobody around here sells them. As soon as somebody does, I will certainly buy a few boxes. I really want a good hyper velocity heavy round.
Old August 28, 2012, 08:01 AM   #17
"JJ"

Well I am going to assume that you WILL NOT be shooting the coyote while it is sleeping on you neighbors porch and that you are aware of general gun safety so you wouldn't be shooting a coyote with the neighbors house as a back stop anyway!
Now that we have all of that out of the way on to the question.
I too was going to suggest the Velocitors. They pack the most energy at 100 yrds then any other 22LR. In my Marlin 60 they are very accurate at that distance as well. 4 out of 5 shots in the same hole kind of accurate!
There have been many coyotes killed with a 22LR over the years.
Also the coyote's heart is a bit smaller and forward then most game animals. That and the lack of much of a shoulder makes the idea heart shot right at the top of the front leg where the shoulder would be.
Yep a head shot would be idea, but a shot in the vitals will be lethal. You may not recover the kill. Which would be a shame cause we would like to see pics!
Old August 28, 2012, 10:16 PM   #18
warbirdlover

You could use one of the new powerful air rifles instead of the .22.
Old August 29, 2012, 11:26 AM   #19
Shotgun693

You might want to ask around at Feed Stores or Gun Shops, there is a market for the hides at least around here there is.
Old August 29, 2012, 11:55 AM   #20
jimbob86

IIRC, all we had as kids (1970's rural Nebraska)were 40 gr LRN (or copper washed 40 gr LRN) in .22 ....... it worked then, and coyotes have not gotten any tougher, AFAIK.
Old August 29, 2012, 11:59 AM   #21
stalkingbear

Another vote for CCI Velociters. When stuck with using ,22LR they're the most deadly round you're going to find in a .22LR and for animals the size of yotes.
Old August 29, 2012, 08:28 PM   #22
30-30remchester

From the responses post above I have to assume I am the only one replying to the OP that has actually killed a coyote or 2 with a 22 lr. My first coyote was at 11 years old was taken with a Browning Auto. The coyote was a young yearling, maybe 15 pounds. Range was @15 yards. It took 8 poorly placed shots and a club to kill him. Another was taken at 45 yards, broadside behind the shoulder, Remington hollowpoints. After bolting at the shot, I saw that he ran @100 yards and stopped in a pile of brush. Assuming him dead I slowly made my way over to the brush pile and found him still alive and burrowed deep in the thicket. I have only killed 51 coyotes but enough to be able to voice a passable knowlaedgable response. Coyotes are far tougher animals than most believe. I have lost well hit coyotes with calibers 22 lr to 375 H&H magnum.
Old August 30, 2012, 02:19 AM   #23
stalkingbear

You shouldn't assume anything. I've killed a number of yotes with a .22LR. The Velociters then the Mini Mags were the 2 that did best for ME. IMO the smallest you should shoot at a yote however is the .22magnum IF I have a choice.
Old August 30, 2012, 06:40 AM   #24
Todd1700

A 22 will work fine on Coyotes at the range you mentioned. And as others have said you don't need to head shoot them. Shoot them in or behind the shoulder. They probably won't drop on the spot but they will run off and die within a few minutes. That they die is my only concern with varmit control. It's not like shooting an animal that you want to recover and eat. Get some of the high velocity 22 rounds like the mini mags by CCI.
Old August 30, 2012, 09:26 PM   #25
farmerboy

yes dont assume, half on here have prob killed coyotes with a 22. But I like to carry them off and look at them too thats why I reccomend shooting with a rifle or shotgun. Alot will never check up when hit with a 22 and you dont want to just wound one and it recover and be smarter of humans.Shoot they even run off with bigger calibers if you dont do a good job with a larger caliber and a goob shot placement. If you want them to run off then yes a 22 is just what youre looking for.