The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 16, 2000, 03:22 AM   #1
Glamdring

How many people have pattern tested their HD load in their HD shotgun?

What ranges and what size patterns with what loads?

I have tested Federal 2 3/4" No. 4 mag buck and Fed Tactical OO buck at 5,10,15,20, & 25 paces with my SG. I also have shot a lot of Rem 1 oz 2 3/4" slugs thru my SG out to 50 yards.

The gun is kept loaded with Federal Buckshot, I just switched to the tactical load about a month ago from the No.4 buck, in crusier ready with slugs on the butt cuff. Red shells (ie Fed) are buck, and Green shells (ie Rem) are slugs...so they are color coded.
The Tac load in my SG shoots a 5.25" x 5.75" pattern at 10 paces. That is the range limit I will use buck for--given the choice. Past that it would be slugs.

Old May 16, 2000, 05:54 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

My old duty load, Winchester 00 9 pellet, shoots into 20-24" at 25 yards. It's my HD load, behind a coupla high brass #6 loads. They run into 5" at 10 yards.

Note, some years ago,around 1990,I used an issue 870 and ammo and fired at B 27 targets at 25 yards. No load delivered ALL its pellets into the silohuette. Bbl was "Police Cylinder". OTOH, better patterns happened from my chokeless 870 with a lengthened forcing cone.Go figure....
Old May 16, 2000, 10:55 AM   #3
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

All ammo was 2 3/4" 20ga #3 buck (20 .25cal pellets)

Tried Winchester Super X: erratic patterns. Remington: same deal, plus only six rounds fit in the tube instead of seven. Federal plated: bingo! Better patterns and all seven fit the tube fine.

At 30 ft the pattern is slightly narrower than torso width. I imagine that represents the farthest really effective range. At 75ft, no more half the pellets strike on paper. Cheapo rifled slugs shot from rest overlap centered and about two inches over point of aim at 75ft, so it might make sense to have some slugs handy.

For now, I load two slugs and five #3 buck in the tube, chamber empty. The slugs would come up after the shotshells on the assumption that they'd defeat cover that would stop smallish pellets.

All in all, I am unimpressed with 20ga for fighting though my opinion would surely change if I ever face one pointed at me.
Old May 16, 2000, 06:54 PM   #4
buckskinner

For Mother's Day, my Mom and I shot hi-brass sixes, hi-brass 3's, and our favorite the tactical 00 buck. At 30' it put 8-9 pellets in a handspan, at my "center of mass" target.

Q: This gun is a high standard (no obvious model number)with a short barrel (18"), and the magazine is as long as the barrel. It was sold to me by a sailor for $50.00 saying it was "police issue". Where can I find parts or after market accesories for this shotgun?

------------------
Treason doth never prosper. What's the reason? For if it doth prosper, none dare call it treason." - John Barrington