The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 28, 2010, 12:58 PM   #1
Tenshi

Mossberg 590A1 Special Ops vs. 590 SPX

So I'll be purchasing a new pump action in a few weeks and I've narrowed it down to the Mossberg 590A1 Special Ops:

and the Mossberg 590 SPX:

There are a few things preventing me from making a final decision though...

On the Special Ops, I wonder if the Speedfeed stock will give me an uncomfortable cheek weld when housing shells. Anyone have any experience with this particular Speedfeed stock?
This model is available with a solid stock as well if the Speedfeed proves to be uncomfortable... but I have no experience with it, so hence the uncertainty.

As for the SPX, I definitely prefer the picatinny rail and ghost ring sights on the SPX over the Spec Op and that would be the deal-maker for me if the barrel wasn't ported. If They made the SPX in an unported version, I'd be sold.

So I guess my question is if any of you have experience with either/both of these guns and which you prefer, if you say the Spec Op, would you go with or without Speedfeed? I just want to make sure that I get a gun that I won't have to spend much or any money to get the way that I want.

Thanks ahead for all of the help guys.
Old January 28, 2010, 01:11 PM   #2
Lee Lapin

Don't have either one, so no direct experience to report. But I have had guns with Speedfeed magazine-type stocks, and don't like 'em, they only hold 2 rounds per side and that not reliably. Plus the rounds aren't as easy to get to as a Sidesaddle, and I like Sidesaddles.

Don't like ported barrels on 'serious' guns either, the gas/smoke between me and whatever is downrange I can do without. No, it's not directly in the line of sight but I still find it distracting.

I like the conventional Mossberg ghost rings OK, the Picatinny rail type sights I have on a FN SLP and the gun seems to be stocked for them, so they work OK too. I wouldn't pay extra for the rail if good ghost rings were available, because I'm not putting (even higher above the sight line) optics on a shotgun. I like dots on a carbine, but not on a shotgun, doesn't mean they don't work, but I'm not going there on a shotgun.

You had a good shotgun class yet? Buy a plain jane riot gun, used even, and spend the extra money on a good class before you buy a gussied-up shotgun NIB. Your skillset is more important than the gun...

jmho, ymmv,

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old January 28, 2010, 10:47 PM   #3
Tenshi

I think I'll probably end up getting the SPX... anyone know if they sell a separate 20" barrel with the same front sight without ports? Or if they sell a version of the SPX without ports?
Old January 28, 2010, 11:03 PM   #4
L-2

If you're right handed, the Speedfeed stock won't be a problem as the shell holders on the stock's left-side are placed lower than those on the right-side.

If the Speedfeed shell holder stock is still of concern, Mossberg does have a 20" 590A1 with a regular synthetic stock, model 51663.

I have no experience with the SPX model, but don't see any particular problems with a ported shotgun barrel.
Old January 29, 2010, 11:00 AM   #5
BigDaddy

I bought the spx about 6 monthd ago and it's my favorite shotgun. The sights are great, mine came without the speedfeed and the ported barrel doesn't distract me. I thought it would and it was a concern when I purchased it but I was pleasantly surprised. I know having a bayonet on the shotgun is cheesy but it's a cool bayonet.

take care,

--Dave
Old January 29, 2010, 01:00 PM   #6
Mtn Biker

I am 5' 8" tall and the Speedfeed stock LOP is too long for me. With a pump I need a short stock so I can "get up on the gun" to run it comfortably. I would recommend handling one at the shop before purchasing.

Just thinkin out loud..........

VL
Old January 29, 2010, 01:09 PM   #7
maestro pistolero

The SPX looks interesting. My Mossberg is an old 'woody' with rifle sights. But my Benelli M1 Super 90 has ghost-ring sights with tritium, very nice. I like the idea of the rail on the SPX. If I were setting up a combat shotgun today, I would want to be able to put an Eotech on it for fast target acquisition with slugs.
IMO you can't go wrong with that setup. Don't know about the porting or accuracy with slugs though. I'd stoke it with 00-buck and put slugs in the stock for special occasions.
Old January 29, 2010, 01:25 PM   #8
colostomyclown

lol @ special ops, further lol @ picatinny rail on shotgun receiver

the shotgunner matters more than any "special ops" tacticool bayo equipped super laserbeam shotgun youll more than likely never shoot. as Lee said, you could stand to take a class. I'd trade all of that junk on those guns besides the receiver, barrel, stock and forend for the cash to take a class and the ammo to do it with. as far as the stock length, youll have to see what fits you. I'm a bigger guy, so I don't mind the Speedfeed. It fits me pretty good, although I wouldn't pay extra for one. In fact I've had issues with mine (shells popping out under recoil) and Speedfeed hasn't answered my emails regarding what to do with it. Not a fan of the company.

its best to look at a shotgun as a malleable tool. everything is so modular on a Mossberg. I'd honestly look at a plain bead sight 500 or 590 special purpose or 590a1 and go from there. I believe the 6-shot 590a1s you see on sale at Cabelas or Gander Mtn are your best deal. I'm starting to view most of the 9-shot guns as more of a mall ninja magnet to be honest, althought I like some of them (the ones with plain barrel and heat shield are my favorite, personally). Ghost Rings are definitely not my thing and more often than not people I see out shooting don't even really know how to use them, first off, and second off, would be far better served "using" a bead. I'm lucky in that I learned the shotgun in a traditional sense, i.e. using a bead, shooting clays, hunting rabbits and dove, etc....I'm very thankful for this as I think it's made my useage and understanding of the shotgun far more developed and sound than it would be if I'd gotten into shotguns as an adult and viewed tactical add-ons and sighting systems as an upgrade rather than a hindrance.

when it comes to protecting my house, you could lay out any odd manner of tacticool uber-shotguns, and I'm going to sell whatever you give me and get a plain old Ithaca 37 18.5" with nothing on it and wood stock. Simple - better, faster, stronger, more reliable. The farthest I'll ever go is a light and a sling on a shotgun, but more than likely those things WILL not be on my house gun, and my house gun will NOT be over 18.5" in length...

Last edited by colostomyclown; January 29, 2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old January 29, 2010, 11:34 PM   #9
Tenshi

Just reading reviews of the speedfeed stock, I've read a lot of complaints of shells popping out under recoil, so I think I'd be happier with a solid stock.

@Bigdaddy: I'm looking at the bayonet as an added bonus. I probably won't keep it on there, but at least I'll have a cool knife to go with it lol Glad to hear from someone that owns it and VERY glad to hear that you're satisfied with it. I'm not completely against a ported barrel, I'd just prefer a barrel without porting, but its obviously not a deal breaker for me as I'm still leaning toward that model. Thanks for the useful info, much appreciated.

@Mtn Biker: Good advice and I'll definitely be seeing how it feels when I shoulder it before purchasing it. I'm a fairly long armed guy so I don't think it will be a problem. The shotgun I'm used to shooting is a Mossberg 500 and if the LOP is the same, then it definitely won't be a problem.

@Maestro Pistolero: That's the reason I like the idea of a picatinny rail as well... for use with slugs. I'll mostly be using the ghost ring sights when practicing, but I like the idea that I can play with different sights as well.

@colostomyclown: Whole lot of assumptions there... Let me clarify for you so you won't jump to so many conclussions. I'm not concerned with having an ultra tacticool super laser shotgun... I was originally looking for a shotgun with ghost ring sights as I prefer them much much more than a bead and I didn't want to have to bother with taking it to a gunsmith later to have them added (The shotgun I regularly shoot is a Mossberg 500 with a bead sight, I've shot both ghost rings and beads and prefer ghost rings, which I do know how to use). I definitely like Mossbergs so I looked there first. I gravitated to the 590 for the simple fact that the safety and trigger guard is metal rather than plastic. These were really my only concerns, ghost rings sights and durable as well as comfortable for me to shoot. As you can see, the first one I listed is not super awesome tacticool... its a pump action shotgun with ghost ring sights. I even expressed in my original post that I was concerned with the cheek weld of the stock being comfortable and would simply go with the solid stock option if it weren't. The reason I was asking about it is because the gun comes with a speedfeed stock or a solid stock at the same price and I was weighing the options. I'm not concerned with the bayonet on the SPX, just with the ghost ring sights and I like the option of the picatinny rail for changing sights when firing slugs (also why I opted for 20" rather than 18.5" for the slightly better grouping, a 20" gun is not a problem to handle in a house and especially not in the very open layout of my house). The SPX is the only 590 with a picatinny rail and is only available with the bayonet, but it can easily be removed so its a non-issue. I will be taking classes regardless of this purchase and this shotgun will be shot quite often. I appreciate the concern, but I assure you that the thing that is most important to me is improving my ability and having a comfortable, usable, and well-made tool for that purpose. I could honestly care less about having a super mall ninja death hammer. lol
Old January 30, 2010, 01:44 AM   #10
colostomyclown

I can tell you, if you don't like the LOP on the Speedfeed you wont like the stock Mossberg either. I believe theyre 1/8th of an inch apart.

I'd get the cheapest option that's set up how you want gunwise, sell the stock and what have you and get a Hogue reduced LOP.
Old January 30, 2010, 12:35 PM   #11
BigDaddy

The LOP is pretty long, I have very long arms ( I'm a lean 6'5 210 lbs) and it fits me just right. I really like the rail, it doesn't get in my way and the sight easily removes for a red dot if that's your thing.

good luck,
--Dave
Old January 30, 2010, 03:25 PM   #12
Tenshi

thanks for all of the info and advice guys. I just found out that there's a big gunshow in my city at the end of next month, so I'm going to hold out on getting anything until then. I'll be better equipped to make a decision when I have them in hand and can study them in person and who knows, I may find something there that I like better than either.
Old January 30, 2010, 05:25 PM   #13
MagnumWill

Unless you're a lefty, I don't see the speedfeed stock being a problem, and mine has no shell retention problems even with 3" loads. I actually like the speedfeed stock better than a sidesaddle, it's one less doohickey sticking out to get caught on things and get broke (since most are plastic anyways).

And keep in mind-the 590SPX doesn't come with a heavy barrel, metal trigger group and metal safety button. But either way, you'll be satisfied with either. Also, you'll have the bayonet off the gun about 99.99% of the time

*EDIT* and for the price of the SPX, geez, just buy a $20 rail and put it on yourself; all mossbergs are drilled and tapped already. If you absolutely have to have it, it's a two minute job. It even comes with the little allen wrench

Last edited by MagnumWill; January 30, 2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old January 31, 2010, 03:59 AM   #14
Tenshi

I'm still a bit hesitant to consider a speedfeed stock until I've tried one out myself.

Oh, and just checked the specs and the 590 SPX does come with the heavy barrel, metal trigger guard and metal safety.

Item #50771

Didn't realize Mossbergs were already drilled and tapped, I may just go that route of adding my own rail... thanks for the info.
Old February 2, 2010, 05:41 PM   #15
MagnumWill

Oh! both of the guns you're looking at are A1s, ok, then yes you are correct. I jumped on Gunbroker and looked at 590 SPX Talo guns, and they have no mention at all on having A1 components. In that case, whatever really suits your fancy (and wallet)
Old February 18, 2010, 08:47 AM   #16
Tenshi

yeah, I thought it was odd that it didn't say A1 in the title too.
Old January 5, 2013, 04:18 PM   #17
Ky Bob

590a1 SPX

I know this is a old thread and found it by doing a search for the 590a1 SPX. I do not see this shotgun listed on the Mossberg webpage and wondering if they have quit making it? I have found it at a few online stores.
Old January 8, 2013, 12:15 PM   #18
breakingcontact

I like the one without the extra holes in the barrel.