The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 8, 2006, 04:12 PM   #1
detructo4130

Question about self-defense.

I just thought about this and was wondering if it has happened and if so the outcome. Also any lawyers and leo reading this let me know what you think.
Let's say that somebody has broken in to your home with the intent to kill you, not rob you. I dont know what kind of trouble you somehow managed to get into, but let's say you did nothing illegal but somehow got the attention of some very bad people and they wanted you dead. Anyhow someone comes to kill you, you cut them off at the pass and defend yourself shooting them in the process. Ok then the police come investigate and clearly you were just defending yourself with absolutely no reprocutions as to you ever getting in trouble. Ok so you go about your life and all is well right? Wrong someone comes to take care of the job the last person couldnt manage to finish. Yet again you defend yourself and it was clearly self defense. But how many times could this happen before you got thrown in prison. I was wondering if this ever happened. Or anything like it.
Old February 8, 2006, 04:23 PM   #2
Musketeer

There is no legal limit as to how many times you can defend yourself. As long as each shoot is justified you are fine. If anything, evidence of multiple attempts on your life will HELP in your legal defense of yourself. You are in a HIGHER danger category than the average citizen and have MORE casue to fear for your life than the normal person. Some places, like certain NY counties, that is the only way to get a full un(illegally)-restricted permit.

I do have to ask if you have done anything to anger any bloods, crips or members of MS13 in your area though...
Old February 8, 2006, 04:38 PM   #3
Mikeyboy

It depend on how many "Bad Guy" tags you bought this season.

Seriously, after a while the cop will get suspect something is going on if you kill a few people in Self Defense. If they all MS-13 members, maybe they will do an investigation...to go after the guy who has put the hit on you, perhaps use you to get at a Big Fish.

If all the people you shoot in Self defense happen to be ex-wives of yours, then they will investigate why all these ex-s are coming after you.
Old February 8, 2006, 04:46 PM   #4
detructo4130

I am in no way threatened by anyone (at least I hope not) I live in a small town outside of Pittsburgh I was just curious I sorta figured it would be alright as long as you were defending yourself, but im sure you would be sweatin' bullets while the investigations were going on. innocent people put in bad situations don't always win you know.
Old February 8, 2006, 04:58 PM   #5
jcoiii

Each attack is a separate incident. Each one should be handled as an isolated event as far as your prosecution. Now, the defense atty for the relatives suing you (since the BGs are dead) will definitely try to bring any other incidents into play.

But, as for me, if I responded to your house on each of the calls, I'd treat them as individual occurances.

I do not aim with my hand.......
Old February 8, 2006, 05:10 PM   #6
DBOUNCE1

hopr i never have to find out
Old February 8, 2006, 08:00 PM   #7
Mannlicher

I am beginning to think that some folks stay awake at night, trying to come up with these types of off the wall questions.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old February 9, 2006, 04:21 AM   #8
RsqVet

Very, very strange question and not very likely to happen unless you turned state's evidance and turned down the witness protection thing.

Not to mention that in reality if you study that stats and crime patterns the reverse of this is typically true, folks who are stalked or abused will get it from the same single person over and over again offten within a short time of their release from prison untill either the victum is killed or the perp is killed.
Old February 9, 2006, 04:23 PM   #9
AirForceShooter

How long is it going to take you to figure out you better MOVE!!!

AFS
Old February 9, 2006, 04:40 PM   #10
NBT

Just how many people do you know that are in trouble with the MAFIA

You won't go to jail for self defense multiple times. If anything at all, the County will issue you a CCW and have sheriffs patrol your house every night.
Ofcourse the wise decision would be to move and change your identity.
Old February 9, 2006, 06:47 PM   #11
Wyo Cowboy

About 25 years ago I lived on a farm in northern Colorado about 20 minutes north of Boulder (Code 3 response time). Without going into the lengthly details, a guy that I knew threatend to kill me in front of a flight student of mine, an off-duty and out of his jurisdiction deputy sheriff. Jerry warned this guy about such comments and the guy had a few suggestions for him as well.

Jerry, the deputy, and I discussed the level of threat and he set up a meeting with the Sheriff and the county DA. A description of the encounter, my knowladge of the person (violent alcoholic), the fact that I knew that he routinely carried a pistol (illegally), and the fact that I lived wayyyy out in the county and that any help would be many minutes away resulted in a rather mind blowing exchange.

Sheriff: I see the concern. How serious of a threat do you believe this man to be?

Me: If he is sober I don't think that his threats are very likely. However, he is an alcoholic with a very violent temper. If he's drunk, which is pretty common, I think that his threats are very serious.

Sheriff: I do not want to know what firearms you have, only the calibers.

Me: .30 cal rifle, .45 cal pistol.

DA: Well. If we are called to your farm one night and find Mr. xxxx with a couple .30 caliber holes in him we'll know what happened.

Me: THUD! (my jaw hitting the floor)

Nothing ever happened, he was arrested shortly there after for bank fraud, grand theft, mail fraud and both corporate and personal tax evasion. But that incident taught me that when encountering a violent threat to get the law involved ASAP. They may not be able to do anything at that moment, but you has established yourself as the threatend party should further "activites" be necessary.
Old February 9, 2006, 07:00 PM   #12
Dwight55

I've never been faced with this, . . . and for sure hope I never am, . . . but each situation has to be weighed on its own merits.

Sooner or later, someone will get you, . . . if not up close, . . . from long distance with a very powerful rifle/scope.

I would move after the first shooting and the appearance of the second bg. I would probably not leave any forwarding information either, . . . or wrong info.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old February 9, 2006, 07:01 PM   #13
Dwight55

sorry, . . . clicked the mouse too much, . . . double reply
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old February 9, 2006, 07:42 PM   #14
miconoakisland

Suggestion:

Take down the Mohammed political cartoons from your windows after the first attempt!