The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 10, 2013, 07:10 PM   #1
WVsig

Anyone watching Wild West Alaska

http://animal.discovery.com/tv-shows/wild-west-alaska

Reality TV show featuring WildAlaska AKA as Ken... Ken used to be a active member here and many of us have gotten some really sweet deals from him when he posted here. I guess the show premiered in Jan. Anyone know how many episodes have aired?

I heard that this was happening and I was flipping channels and there he was. Ken in all his glory.....

Old February 10, 2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Kreyzhorse

I liked Ken, interesting guy. Terrible show though. Just terrible.
Old February 10, 2013, 07:22 PM   #3
KMAX

It is better than most "reality" shows. At least it has interesting subject matter, guns.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old February 10, 2013, 07:22 PM   #4
Bamashooter

Ive seen it. Dont care for it. Some people there know what they are doing, some dont. Either way its not very interesting to me.
Old February 10, 2013, 07:32 PM   #5
BarryLee

I’ve watched it and if you just want to kill an hour I guess its ok.

On last week’s episode the managers were out of the office for various reasons. The remaining employees would not even answer the phone and didn’t want to wait on customers. Sort of seemed unprofessional and played into the negative image some have of the local gun store.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 10, 2013, 07:43 PM   #6
SPEMack618

I watch it when I can. I find it funny and better than the other gun shows on tv.
Old February 10, 2013, 10:34 PM   #7
Corrections Cop

Its a pretty good show. I DVR it.
Old February 11, 2013, 09:30 AM   #8
Rifleman1776

It is funny and makes no bones that much of the show is intended to showcase the unusual characters in Alaska. Lot of the gun stuff is very unrealistic. Last night they built a .500 nitro mag on a 6 pound Ruger #1. Idiocy.
Old February 11, 2013, 09:33 AM   #9
Silent Bob

Looks like he is wearing a Pomeranian on his head.
Old February 11, 2013, 09:38 AM   #10
dajowi

Haven't seen this show. In fact, I haven't see any of the gun related programs such as American Guns, etc, etc. etc. being aired. Did they pull them all?
Old February 11, 2013, 10:23 AM   #11
arch308

I tried it for about 5 minutes. Too silly for my taste just like the other "reality" gun shows. There is no reality in them, all scripted and performed by people who can't act.
Old February 11, 2013, 01:26 PM   #12
g.willikers

The bear was cute.
I enjoy this show, especially at night when I'm too tired to read but not tired enough for bed.
Old February 11, 2013, 03:25 PM   #13
KMAX

Rifleman1776; We watched that show and my wife who knows little about guns said "Ain't that rifle kind of small for such a big bullet?" I was so proud. Maybe she does listen to me sometimes? I told her I didn't think the stock was strong enoughand it was too light weight. Low and behold it cracked. I am no expert on firearms by any means, but I have shot a few and looked at a lot more. Still, I enjoy the show, for now.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old February 11, 2013, 05:21 PM   #14
spacemanspiff

I try not to nitpick as my wife and I watch the show. Having been friends with Ken and Hans for years and knowing most of the employees of WWG, I just shake my head and hope they all got paid a good chunk of change for being on that show.
Old February 12, 2013, 05:05 PM   #15
southjk

I really hate when these "reality" shows try to come up with something to have the characters do to try to keep the dumb viewers interested. Like the swear jar in that episode. Just idiotic. Or the bear/ex-wife story. Don't need it. The other shows like the auction/pawn/picker shows that I like to watch all do it to. I dvr them then skip the stupid fake personal drama parts and watch just parts I want to see. Skip the part about if you're going to your reunion, did they remember your birthday or other stupid stuff. What did you find and what's it worth? That's what I want to know. Although, I lost interest in the storage unit shows when I found out the producers were seeding the units.

Although, Wild West Alaska would be better with more Phred.

Last edited by southjk; February 12, 2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old February 12, 2013, 05:59 PM   #16
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by southjk
The other shows like the auction/pawn/picker shows that I like to watch all do it to.... Although, I lost interest in the storage unit shows when I found out the producers were seeding the units.
So... you probably don't want to hear that all those other shows are rigged too...
Old February 12, 2013, 06:06 PM   #17
murphjup

I like it easy to watch, brainless you might say...

I like Ken, always gives me a good deal...

Old February 13, 2013, 01:29 AM   #18
GunXpatriot

It's a pretty good show. I mean, as a show, it's just alright, but it helps me to forget about *acid reflux* Sons of Guns.
Old February 13, 2013, 05:05 AM   #19
NWPilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman1776 View Post
It is funny and makes no bones that much of the show is intended to showcase the unusual characters in Alaska. Lot of the gun stuff is very unrealistic. Last night they built a .500 nitro mag on a 6 pound Ruger #1. Idiocy.
That was really dumb. For one, the .500 Nitro is a dangerous game rifle, so for who in the heck would you make a single shot dangerous game rifle?

Two, is it not the gunsmith's craftsmanship that should match an action and stock to the cartridge so the rifle is as pleasant and controllable as possible? There is a reason heavy double rifles were the natural home for the .500 Nitro.

This looked like a high school shop project to take whatever was in the parts box and make it work no matter how silly. How could a smith have any pride delivering anything so ill suited for a grand old cartridge?
Old February 13, 2013, 03:51 PM   #20
FrankenMauser

Quote:
That was really dumb. For one, the .500 Nitro is a dangerous game rifle, so for who in the heck would you make a single shot dangerous game rifle?
.500 Nitro is whatever you want it to be. ...just like .30-06 is whatever you want it to be.

If every cartridge were reserved only to be used for its original purpose, .30-06 would only be a military cartridge. And, where would we be without it?
Old February 13, 2013, 04:31 PM   #21
TheNatureBoy

I record it and watch later. Its ok :-/
Old February 13, 2013, 05:15 PM   #22
TATER

I agree with Rifleman1776,
Its light hearted and Funny but touches on Alaska and its characters. It is what it is.
Ken is Good People, He has always given me great deals. I hang up the phone laughing every time I have
called him. I am curious as to why he left, anyone know??
Old February 14, 2013, 03:19 AM   #23
breakingcontact

Hopefully this goes to Netflix so I can check it out.
Old February 14, 2013, 05:38 AM   #24
NWPilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
.500 Nitro is whatever you want it to be. ...just like .30-06 is whatever you want it to be.

If every cartridge were reserved only to be used for its original purpose, .30-06 would only be a military cartridge. And, where would we be without it?
Ok that sounds trite. So a .500 Nitro can be a anything you want it to be; varminting round, a plinker, a self-defense rifle? Come on. Explain to me then how a 6lb rifle makes sense for a classic elephant/buffalo cartridge? Would you take that rifle hunting for grizzly, elephant or buffalo? Does it have any of the nostalgia of "just like the famous hunter so and so?" No, it moans "dork."

The young man who bought it did not seem to enjoy getting his shoulder banged up with just one or two shots. That was really an inappropriate platform for that cartridge and it is silly to try to pretend otherwise. I guess you could make a .223 into a 10lb double rifle but why? That would be just as ridiculous.
Old February 14, 2013, 07:22 AM   #25
nate45

natemarijuanaislegalinAKsodon'ttrythisathome45

Unless you live in CO,WA, or have a medical prescription.
Closed Thread