The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 10, 2013, 05:53 PM   #1
katana8869

Question regarding proper head position for shooting with ghost ring sight

Hi all.... I recently purchased a Hawk 982 with ghost rings and found that it shot very low when using slugs. About 7" when I started sighting it in. I now have the rear sight nearly half off of it mount so I have no more elevation left to use. I know that I can file the front sight down but first I wanted to make sure that I am not the problem. I was shooting with my cheekbone pressed right to the stock. I am wondering if my technique may not be right for what I am trying to do. Should I be holdng my head higher? For that matter what IS the proper head/cheek position for shooting a shotgun with ghost rings anyway? Just call me clueless...... but please give me your advice! lol
Old January 10, 2013, 07:19 PM   #2
PetahW

The best practice, for shooting with ANY peep sight, beit receiver/tang or ghost ring, is to mount the rifle in the most comfortable position with the head/cheek firmly against the stock while looking THROUGH whatever size aperture, and never "AT" the aperture, placing the front sight "on" target, with the "target" slightly out of focus.

Generally peep/ghostring zeroing should start with the POI being fairly close ( 3"-4" @ 100yds for a rifle, 50yds for a shotgun) from the POA when the peep sight is in the middle of it's adjustments range (done by installing the correct height front sight) - so that the W/E adjustments should only be necessary to fine-tune the zero.