The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2006, 12:25 PM   #1
Wild Bill Bucks

Will I blow my head off doing this?

I have about 100 rounds of 30.06 Ammo, that was re-loaded for another rifle, that I no longer own.(Probably should have let ammo go with it)
Here is the question:
Can I re-size the ammo to my new 06 without taking bullets out?
Cases were neck sized only from other rifle and are a bit tight in the new one.
Ever heard of any one (still Living) doing this?
Old February 9, 2006, 12:51 PM   #2
trigger happy

what rifle did you load them for and what do you want to shoot them in ?
Old February 9, 2006, 01:09 PM   #3
jclaude

No!
Old February 9, 2006, 01:10 PM   #4
gary2905

I did just that in a 243 and it cost me a tad over $ 300 to have Winchester fit a new bolt and check the chamber, et al.
Suspect that I set back the shoulder and crimped the s--- out of the brass over the bullet and the rest was history.

Allow me to offer a bit of advice- pull the bullet, dump the powder and start over.
It would have been a whole lot cheaper for me and I would not have had to check my pants after the load "went off"
Old February 9, 2006, 01:37 PM   #5
dakotashooter2

I'm not saying that you should, but what were your loads? Were they maxed out hunting loads or mid range plinking rounds. If they were the latter they probably are not any different than what you would start at for working up a load for your new gun. I would be less concerned about a snug fit in the chamber than a loose one. If they are tight just smoke (use a marker) the bullets on a couple, chamber and extract and make sure the bullets are not jamming into the rifling. If they are the first loads described, pull them apart.

If you are unsure enough to question it you should probably pull them apart.
Old February 9, 2006, 01:43 PM   #6
GlocksRfun

lol, common sense says that if u have to ask if u'll blow ur head off, chances are it's not a good idea.. Haveing an attached and functional head is kind of an important thing to have. I really haven't heard of what u are talking about, but I would suggest against it. Sell them on gunbroker or something. That's my uneducated advice.
Old February 9, 2006, 01:57 PM   #7
Wild Bill Bucks

These are fired cases of medium load rounds from a savage 30.06, and not real good bullets, and I want to save the brass but they won't chamber in a Rem 700 very well. The chamber is a little tighter.
Trying to save time with bullet puller, but from what you guys are saying looks like I'd be better off pulling them.
Trying to see if it could be done so I could have fun shooting instead of working at pulling bullets.
Hadn't ever thought of it before and thought I would see if anyone else had done it first.
Looking back, it probably isn't a real smart idea, I just need to get over being lazy.
Thanks guys.
Old February 9, 2006, 02:02 PM   #8
jclaude

try this.

One thing you might try.

If the bullets are jamming into the rifling of the new barrel, try seating them a little deeper, then retrying.

If that doesn't work, find another 30/06 that they will fit into and shoot them up.
Old February 9, 2006, 02:05 PM   #9
918v

If you have a Redding body die, then yes you can. The body die does not touch the neck, just the shoulder. $20
Old February 9, 2006, 02:32 PM   #10
kingudaroad

If the cases were neck sized only after being fire formed to the old rifle, I would take those things apart and full length resize the brass.

If the brass was full length resized the last time you loaded them. and the only issue is oal, I would think you could measure the new chamber and seat them a little deeper with your seating die if neccesary.
Old February 9, 2006, 04:50 PM   #11
Barr

My advice would be to pull the bullets. I had much the same issue when I was loading 9x19 mm bullets for my gun. My progressive press ran out of powder and I did not realize it. 30 bullets with possibility of no powder. 30 bullets = roughly 3-4 dollars for me. Not worth blowing up a 500 dollar handgun. Definitely worth my time to pull them and reload them.
Old February 10, 2006, 11:03 AM   #12
Ruger4570

I would either pull the bullets or dump the loads. I don't know what would happen if SOMEHOW the cartridge went off inside a steel die and no where for the gasses to go. My best bet is you would have a bomb in your hands. Brass is just too cheap to take this kind of chance, at least to me it is.