The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 2, 2012, 11:05 PM   #1
ChessieFan

Short Length of Pull

I am new to this forum and hope I have I found a place to answer my question. I am a little person and my length of pull is only 11.5 inches. I do a lot of waterfowling and would love to get an auto that can be cut down to that. I bought a Benelli Vinci but the recoil is pretty good by the time I had the stock shortened, it took most of their recoil system out. Hoping to go gas for recoil reasons. So far the gunsmiths I haved talked to said it cannot be done but I still think there is someone that can. Anyone have any ideas. Looking for a 12ga 3"..Thanks
Old April 3, 2012, 06:28 AM   #2
CowTowner

It isn't gas and I do not know if it would fit in the shortened stock, but.........
You might want to look at this type of recoil reduction:
http://www.mercuryrecoil.com/
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old April 3, 2012, 09:09 AM   #3
ironhat

Why don't you call a different 'smith - I know, you have called them all, but I would try John Taylor. He says on his FAQ page that he prefers to talk with a potential client to see what they need. Give it a try. Couldn't hurt.
Old April 3, 2012, 01:17 PM   #4
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Whether gas operated or recoil operated , the stock is still full of springs and stuff , all the way to the end of the butt . You might want to give some thought to switching to a pump action , much easier to cut down , although I've never cut one that short . I don't know what you would use for a pad , but it would be a glue on job for sure , as there won't be enough stock left to put screws in . Then again , you might not have enough reach to operate a pump . Interesting conundrum for sure !
Old April 4, 2012, 09:56 AM   #5
tango1niner

pumps are usually lighter and will recoil more but the butt stock can be modified w/no problem. Check into recoil reducing products that could be fit in the stock. My Ithaca Deerslayer II with the 25" rifled barrel fitted with a 3-9 x 40 scope is much heaviER than my Ithaca with a bird barrel and kicks like a mule with 3" mags when shooting at paper, however when I've shot at fur I really don't notice it. Kinda makes my cheeks hurt with that big grin when I see hooves pointing skyward!
Old April 4, 2012, 09:59 AM   #6
RedBowTies88

You could get a saiga 12 and throw a warsaw legnth stock on it.
Old April 4, 2012, 10:31 AM   #7
barstoolguru

they make light loads for recoil sensitive people
Old April 4, 2012, 10:53 AM   #8
Edward429451

The correct LOP of the gun to the shooter will reduce perceived felt recoil. I would suggest starting with a youth stock. Which, IIRC, is 12" LOP?
Old April 5, 2012, 05:46 PM   #9
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Light loads aren't really an option for Waterfowling , no nads .
Old April 5, 2012, 10:02 PM   #10
ChessieFan

Thanks for the replies.. I have shot a pump and yes the action is tougher and slower to work with my LOP.. I have a Ruger Red Label 20ga. and have used it for years but just starting to shoot a lot more geese especially snows and wanted to go with the 12 and can use that 3rd round a lot!! The Vinci goes short enough but I can only take recoil up to a point. I will keep looking and look into all the replies so far.. Thanks again to all...