The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 25, 2012, 01:37 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Stack-on safe

Before I left the country last time I stuffed some handguns in a safe. Changed the electronic keypad combination to something myself and a family member would remember. Now, a year and a half later, neither of us remembers.

No longer have the manual.

Stack-on wants the original purchase receipt in order to give me a new combination.(like I kept that from 5+ years ago)

Stack on PS-514.

Angle grinder would make short work of it, and it isn't so stuffed full I would damage the guns, but if anyone out there knows a trick on these or could check a manual for me real quickly I would appreciate it.
Old March 25, 2012, 02:28 PM   #2
customaquatics

there should be a slot to pop off to insert a key if you forgot the combo? take the safe to a keysmith an have them pic the lock.
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old March 25, 2012, 02:28 PM   #3
Technosavant

I think I have an earlier version that's similar, but I don't know of any tricks to bypass the electronic lock.

The only think I can think of is if it (like mine) also has a key (on mine, it's hidden behind a removable face panel). You could try attacking through that- mine is that cylindrical key type that's been known to be "pickable" with a bic pen.

However, if you can't remember the combination at all, I don't think there's any way to override the thing and put in a new one, even if you get it open. May as well slice into the back.
Old March 25, 2012, 03:04 PM   #4
johnwilliamson062

The key is a two sided pin lock. I don't know how to pick that. I also don't have a pin shear tool currently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt9BgCC19Vw

Bouncing:
I feel like bouncing could def harm contents. Pretty sure one revolver is in a gunsock only.

Tried hitting the button with a clothes hanger, haven't had any success yet.

Will try a locksmith, but the safe is about $40 when on sale, so i am not sure it will be worth it when I can buy a new one with a new key and all.
Old March 25, 2012, 04:34 PM   #5
2amencw

gun safe

if you do a search there is a "hack " to bypass the electronic lock. I think it was on youtube or something.
Old March 25, 2012, 05:01 PM   #6
BGutzman

Some electronic locks can be bypassed by using something like the computer cleaning air cans (which arent air at all and are probably horrible for your health).. I have no idea if this will work on this or any other safe but as a security guy I am aware that it can be done on some electronic locks...

Heck I dont know it might short out your safe permanently or someother unknown problem might be caused..... then again it may work... I have no idea...
Old March 25, 2012, 05:59 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

Hmmm... Will try the canned air before the grinder. Sounds interesting. Not sure how this would work in theory, although I think I saw something similar in a movie.

NO directions though, and i couldn't find anything with "hack"
Old March 25, 2012, 09:24 PM   #8
BGutzman

The cold causes metal to contract and depending on the functions of the electronics may cause it to think you entered the right code.... or at least thats what I think is going on... I do factually know it works on some locks that will remain unmentioned I dont know if it will work for you...

Again it might destroy the lock electronics but my suggestion would be to try to freeze as much of the electronics as possible in a rapid manner and simply turn the safe handle..... It may or may not be helpful to drill a small hole allowing the gas easier access to the electronics and you run the danger of damageing them of course if you drill to deep...

Lots of things could go wrong but it might work for you.... good luck...

Last edited by BGutzman; March 26, 2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old March 25, 2012, 09:35 PM   #9
SilentScreams

Crowbar, torch, sledge hammer and chisel. Just a few ways to get a lock off. I recommend the second one.