The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old August 14, 2009, 09:14 PM   #1
JIsabelle218

Lead search :-(

Well after a day of going around, garage to garage, dealership to dealership, not much luck with wheel weights (Shreveport) I think the fishermen have a firm grip on the WW market. . .got about a quarter of a five gallon bucket :-(
I'm about to get into casting (well I think). . . been wanting to for awhile. The local scrap yard has WW but for like a buck a pound i think. . .

Anyone got any ideas of a lead alternative I can search for at the scrap yard. . . Someone once told me pig lead would work but i don't know. You guys are way more experienced than me. What do you think.
Old August 14, 2009, 09:52 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

If you can find pure lead (or a softer alloy) you can mix it with your WWs to have a 50/50 (WWs/pure lead) alloy. This will make your WWs go a little bit further. You have to get to know the guys at the tire shops. Your average "garage" doesn't change as many tires as a "tire shop." You need to hit up the smaller, non-chain tire shops....and be armed with beer.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old August 15, 2009, 07:28 AM   #3
jmorris

Small shops and beer is the ticket, just make sure the fellow is 21 that you give it to.
Old August 21, 2009, 08:19 AM   #4
DiscoRacing

I C H.... I dont drink the beer.... so I dont take none with me to the tire shop.. but.... In my case... I have noticed that it works well when your brother-in-law.. works at the largest family owned tire shop in the area.... Ive gotten over 500 pounds in the last two months for nothing at all.... well.... the last time I got a bucket I took him some catfish.
Old August 21, 2009, 08:46 AM   #5
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

yeah I dont drink either. I get 95% of my lead for free from a tire shop down in St. Louis (800-1k pounds a year). They change a lot of car tires and tractor tires, so the giant WW's are very common.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~