The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 10, 2009, 02:15 PM   #1
powerboatr

federal 45 shell casing

I found this odd ball shell yesterday, at the indoor range
it has serrations completely around the circumference and even has printed through to the inside,
obviously it shouldn't be reloaded, but is this a new thing from federal or di this puppy slip through quality control when it was produced.
it is a ONCE fired shell, they don't allow reloads at the inside range nor can you reclaim your spent brass, so they sweep em up and sell em as bulk brass at pretty decent prices per 500 shells
i surmise if its reloaded, that the shell would split at the serrations and cause some serious weird eject problems to say the least
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Federal 45 shell4.jpg (153.7 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Federal 45 shell2.jpg (123.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Federal 45 shell3bright.jpg (122.0 KB, 50 views)

using a dillon square deal reloader
Old January 10, 2009, 02:17 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm not entirely sure what the purpose is (probably to help lock the bullet in place to prevent setback, it's just another form of crimping, maybe), but I have quite a few that I have reloaded many times with absolutely no problems at all.
Old January 10, 2009, 02:24 PM   #3
kraigwy

Its a mild crimp at the base of the bullet with the ideal that the bullet wouldnt slide back into the case under recoil.

Although with a proper taper crimp it isnt necessary. It dosnt effect the reloading of the round.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 10, 2009, 02:30 PM   #4
steveno

it is probably to prevent bullet setback. it is on the 185 grain hp's that I have. however it isn't on the boxes of American Eagle hardball I have. the hardball however shows a slight bulge in the case where the base of the bullet is and I don't think that bullets is going to have any setback
Old January 10, 2009, 02:57 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Case crimping was started in the last quarter or the 1800's (I still can't get over not being able to say, "in the last century" without referring to something recent). I was told that some of the early commercial loading gear used that crimp (now a cannelure, but then often just a smooth groove as if a dull tubing cutter had been rolled over the thing) as a bullet stop. The case was made large enough for that, or the bullet small enough, depending on how you look at it. The bullets were set into the charged case by hand, then went straight to the the final crimp. I can't think why adding that complexity would be better than a fixed depth seater? Perhaps they couldn't figure out how to place a bullet on tight brass and seat it all automatically back then?

At any rate, these things show up in straight wall .38 and .357 cases all the time. They blow out and fireform to the chamber, so the case is just normal at that point. I suppose it gives you a quick way to see what size bullet you've got hold of, but I can't see why a manufacturer would take the extra step today? Something must justify it? If I get a chance to ask an actually cartridge designer for one of the big outfits, I will.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 11, 2009, 10:19 PM   #6
powerboatr

thanks
i have seen tons of 45 casings and this was the first one like this. over at another site i was told it is highly common
soooooo
i chalk it up as a learning curve

i still wont use it to reload, my areo engineering tells me its a weak spot to fail
and since wifey shoots the 45 more than me, i opt out to the safe level for her

again thanks

using a dillon square deal reloader