The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 7, 2014, 07:31 PM   #1
skizzums

9mm +p

hey guys, I am sure this has been beat to the death, but the search featue brings back way to many results, and none in reloading that I can see. I am loading some Hornaday 124 XTPs, probably going to use the HS-6 powder due to best velocity with lowest pressure, but also have Titegroup and HP38. the data I have is very conservative and was wondering what you guys have for +p loads if any, I could just make an educated increase since the data I have is way under max pressure, but was looking for first-hand or published data. or quiload too. just wanna stay under 37kpsi. not trying to go to the max 38.5k

the data I have doesmt even touch the 33k mark and all stay under 1100fps

if anyone can do a quikload, im looking at 6.9gr HS6 with a cci mag primer OAL 1.090 roughly

Last edited by skizzums; August 7, 2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old August 7, 2014, 08:08 PM   #2
skizzums

sometime I can be a real ditz, the max load I had was 6.6, but they list 6.8 right on the front of the bottle.
Old August 7, 2014, 08:14 PM   #3
SauerGrapes

Sometimes the data stops where it is, because pressures don't stay consistent beyond that.
Are you loading your own SD ammo? If not, why beat up your gun????

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old August 7, 2014, 09:10 PM   #4
Clark

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

When I started handloading in 2000, I worked all the bullets and all the powders to failure in 9mm I thought.

But looking at my data HS-6 was the last powder and I did not finish.
At 115 gr the case was wrecked at 11.5 gr.
A 158 gr the case was wrecked at 9 gr.

I guess I never did 124 gr and 147 gr.

I was using a Kel-Tec P11 with case support at .19" with RP primed brass with .16" thick webs. I could say that or better about almost any 9mm. I have a lot of 9mm pistols waiting for testing, but I can measure the chamber wall thickness, the case support, the slide mass, the recoil spring force, and know what will happen.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old August 7, 2014, 09:48 PM   #5
skizzums

geez, im surprised you could cram that much in there, I thought I was at capacity when I did 8gr with a 90grainer.
Old August 7, 2014, 10:35 PM   #6
Nick_C_S

124g HS-6

I have 124g load data for HS-6 (with a CCI 550 Mag primer)

I'm at 6.7g's - which is in compliance with Speer #14 (except for the primer).
It yields 1123 fps through a Kahr CW9 3.7" bbl.

I don't have my OAL data in front of me (probably 1.120), but I'm using a Speer bullet anyway. My chrono notes state "Shot nice; no signs of pressure."
Old August 7, 2014, 10:52 PM   #7
Clark

Quote:
skizzums
geez, im surprised you could cram that much in there, I thought I was at capacity when I did 8gr with a 90grainer.
Mike McNett, before he started the Double Tap ammo company, asked me how I got so much 800X under 200 gr in a 10mm.
I told him with double compression.
I gave the process the same name the black powder guys gave it earlier, [I think. George Harrison also said My Sweet Lord came to him in a dream.].
I learned that if I compress too hard that way, the bullet gets wider and makes real trouble.
But if I put a pin gauge in a collet bullet puller die, I can compress hard and then seat the bullet without increasing the diameter.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old August 7, 2014, 10:53 PM   #8
indie_rocker

Midway Loadbook says max load making 35,000 psi is:
6.3gr of HS-6
C.O.A.L 1.135"

Work up from there. Your guessed load should be ok, but your OAL might be on the short side.
Old August 7, 2014, 11:00 PM   #9
skizzums

okay, thanks guys, I was just going for 1200fps, which I'm sure ill be there since shooting from 7.5" barrel. After seeing 6.8 on the label of the powder for a 124gr, I feel comfortable at 6.9. the carbine likes the shorter OAL, feed better in my past experiences with larger bullets. anything over 1.1 and I have trouble. ill still be way under max SAAMI pressures for +p
Old August 7, 2014, 11:14 PM   #10
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I was just going for 1200fps, which I'm sure ill be there since shooting from 7.5" barrel.
Yeah, you'll make it. My load in post #6 will make it with a 7.5" bbl.

I was at 1074 fps with 6.5g's. That load would probably get 1200 through a 7.5 incher.
Old August 8, 2014, 05:14 AM   #11
Sevens

I'm curious WHAT 9mm runs a 7.5-inch barrel? That's no carbine, that sounds like an SBR.
Old August 8, 2014, 05:50 AM   #12
skizzums

Your right, I misspoke, its technically a pistol.
Old August 8, 2014, 01:31 PM   #13
Sevens

Well, what is it?
Old August 8, 2014, 01:59 PM   #14
Jim Watson

I read a published maximum of 6.8 gr HS6 and a 125 gr bullet. Sorry, I did not note the source.

I loaded a 124 gr Remington FMJ and 6.7 gr HS6 for 1225 fps from a 5" Colt. I do not have the OAL at hand but it was well over 1.09.

Y'all be careful, now, you hear?
Old August 8, 2014, 02:17 PM   #15
Sharkbite

Im guessing an AR pistol with a 7.5" barrel
Old August 8, 2014, 03:02 PM   #16
WESHOOT2

screw SAAMI

HS6 is a favorite when making 9x19 Major......
Old August 8, 2014, 07:54 PM   #17
skizzums

sharkbite's the weiner

http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm...ategory_id=396
Old August 8, 2014, 11:24 PM   #18
Sharkbite

Haaa. Ive been called worse!!!

I just built a 10.5" 9mm AR to run suppressed. Ends up at the same length as a standard rifle but QUIET
Old August 8, 2014, 11:57 PM   #19
skizzums

they are definitely a bunch of fun, I built it for my wife......yeah right

I just got one of those sightmark ultra shot thingies today, hoping to get it sighted in with these hornadays tomorrow if the rain stays away. should be an accurate load with plenty of time to burn.

I better enjoy it while I can, because she wants a coach paint job on it soon, like tan with silver coach symbols all over it, whatever gets her to the range with me more lets me spend more on bullets etc....so whatever, thn it will truly be HER gun, just like the sky blue and white hi-point carbine