The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 8, 2007, 11:44 AM   #1
azredhawk44

Stuck Case... help please...

I have a Federal .308 brass case stuck in my Lee .308 decap/resizing die. The extractor rim tore off the bottom of the case.

What is the correct way to get this out without ruining the die or decapping pin?

This has happened several times to me, and each time it has happened previously I ended up ruining the decapping pin when getting the case out of the die.
Old March 8, 2007, 12:02 PM   #2
c.j.sikes

stuck case

i use rcbs stuck case removing tool , not expensive and easy to use. i have haD GOOD LUCK WITH MINE. C.J.SIKES
Old March 8, 2007, 12:23 PM   #3
Abstract

Leave the die in the press. Loosen the collet that holds the decapping rod in place. Drive the rod through with a punch of appropriate size and a hammer of appropriate size.
Old March 8, 2007, 12:57 PM   #4
Zippy06

According to the Lee web site.
Might want to go there.
Anyway use a 3/16" punch/drift pin and a hammer over 16 oz.
Loosen collet. insert punch. And pound with hammer. This will not break any thing. Brass is already trash. Or send die to Lee. And $4.00.
Are you using Lee resizing lube?
There is a section of the Lee web site. With videos. Watch them all. Even if it does not apply to your press.
I don't use Hornady One Shot. Because of this issue. I buy the lube at Midwayusa.
G17, S&W 686, G22C, Colt H-Bar, Marlin, Savage 10FP. Be safe. Be happy
Old March 8, 2007, 01:14 PM   #5
Foxman

Pounding with hammers breaks things, usually.
The proper way is to pull the decapping pin/expander up as high as you can get it. drill the head of the case the tapping drill size for 1/4" nf ( or nc) whichever, use a plug/#3 tap and run it in until it has threaded just through the brass of the head. Grip the tap shank in a vise and tap the die off with a hide or lead hammer. I would get someone to help by pulling on the die, it can be easier if you drill a hole in a piece of lumber just to clear the threads and feed the die through it, then they can pull on the lumber without puttin a bending strain on the tap, they come out easy enough then.
Use the rcbs or Lyman lube on a pad and you will never have this again, the one shot works but it goes all over the place and misses bits of the case and gets in the neck, making neck tension all over as well.
Old March 8, 2007, 02:26 PM   #6
Zippy06

As per the Lee instruction.
Stuck Cases

We will remove a stuck case for $4; Return the die to the factory with an explanation. Our address is:

Lee Precision Inc,
4275 Hwy. U,
Hartford, WI 53027.

You can easily remove the case yourself, loosen but do not remove the decapper clamp with a 3/4 and 1/2 wrench. Then pound on the end of the decapper rod with a 3/16 drift punch, and use a heavy hammer for best results. You can leave the die in the press for this operation.

And.
Proper case lubrication

When full length sizing cases in non-carbide dies, it is necessary to properly lubricate the case and the inside of the case neck so that it will not get stuck during resizing into the steel die. With a properly lubed case, our "Reloader" press or Hand Press will easily accomplish proper resizing of even the largest of magnum cases.

Using some Lee resizing lubricant, spread a small amount around the case below the shoulder so that there is a thin film. With the small amount of film that remains on your finger, "scrape" some into the inside of the case neck. Even though it's only on one side of the inside case neck, resize the case. Additional cases that have had the same procedure ensures that the decapper / expander inside the sizing die is properly lubricated. This method is far easier and faster than using the many utensils meant to completely coat the inside of the case neck.

Although you are not required to lube cases for use in carbide dies, we have found that if you just briefly roll the cases around in a cloth that has a light amount of oil on it, the increased ease of case sizing is very noticeable.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/faq/index.cgi

By the way. I had 3 stuck .223. Last year. Because of One Shot. Went back to Lee lube. No stuck cases.
Old March 8, 2007, 02:51 PM   #7
rem33

azredhawk44,

Do a search here, it was discussed in good detail. I used it on a RCBS die and it worked good for me. If you like send me a personal message with your email and I will send you the lee video on removing stuck cases. I am not sure how to post it here from my PC but I can surely mail it.

Zippy06,

I stopped having any trouble with One Shot as soon as I started lubing the cases in a Zip-Loc bag. Use a 1 or 2 qt. bag, put cases in bag, don't overload bag, spray good, zip, mix around good, put in a bowl or container let dry a minute and run thru the die. Clean old lube from die first and give it a quick shot of One Shot.
Old March 8, 2007, 03:41 PM   #8
Abstract

Quote:
Pounding with hammers breaks things, usually.
The proper way is to pull the decapping pin/expander up as high as you can get it. drill the head of the case the tapping drill size for 1/4" nf ( or nc) whichever, use a plug/#3 tap and run it in until it has threaded just through the brass of the head. Grip the tap shank in a vise and tap the die off with a hide or lead hammer. I would get someone to help by pulling on the die, it can be easier if you drill a hole in a piece of lumber just to clear the threads and feed the die through it, then they can pull on the lumber without puttin a bending strain on the tap, they come out easy enough then.
Use the rcbs or Lyman lube on a pad and you will never have this again, the one shot works but it goes all over the place and misses bits of the case and gets in the neck, making neck tension all over as well.
Old March 8, 2007, 05:20 PM   #9
Zippy06

rem33. Too late. It's in the trash. :barf:
I'll spend the gas money on shipping charges. Thanks any way.
Old March 8, 2007, 06:33 PM   #10
azredhawk44

I ordered a Hornady stuck-case pull kit from Midway.

I currently have 2 re-sizing dies... a Lee one and an RCBS one. The RCBS doesn't size as "small" as the Lee, which is why I switched to the Lee... I am loading for a semiautomatic M1A.

The Lee die has given me 3 or 4 stuck cases in the last 18 months though, and it's pretty annoying. I will take the trick of the gallon ziplock bag to heart though... sounds like a good idea. One-Shot seems to be a very polarizing product with a love-it/hate-it crowd behind it... I never had problems with it for my 30-30 loading before getting the M1A and I have good experiences with the stuff thus far.

I also ordered a Forster full-length sizer die to try out, just to see if maybe it does a better job than the Lee.

Thanks guys.
Old March 9, 2007, 01:17 AM   #11
mrawesome22

Use Imperial Size Wax. Stuck cases will be a thing of the past.
Old March 11, 2007, 04:45 PM   #12
Foxman

Abstract, Its one of the reasons I dont buy Lee dies anymore.
Also if you look at the RCBS and several other stuck case removers they are what I suggested to do but my way cost a lot less bucks. They machine a case head shape on the end of the tap to fit in a press is the difference. A tap may be in the shed already, costs very little from a tool store and is easy to get, also he may never need it again if he goes with quality dies and lube.
I see he has gone for the kit anyway, which is the better way.
Old March 11, 2007, 04:49 PM   #13
Abstract

Foxman: I own an RCBS stuck-case kit, "just in case!"
Old March 11, 2007, 07:07 PM   #14
hpg

Been there, done that, made my own stuck case remover..........hpg
Old March 12, 2007, 04:25 AM   #15
Foxman

Abstract
Yes no sense in bein stuck, literally. I'm lucky I have a shed full of engineering tools so I just go get what I need, but like everybody I hate waiting and sending stuff away, so I usually can come up with a fix to get me going again.
Good Shooting