The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 13, 2001, 12:21 AM   #1
Tol

Brass Price Check

Got offered .40 brass for $10 per 1000.
It is all once-fired Federal brass from US Customs training.
It is all Grade 3 (right off of the floor)

Is this a good buy?

Thank you
Old December 13, 2001, 01:06 AM   #2
C.R.Sam

Yes......specialy if no shipping, but good anyway.

Sam
Old December 13, 2001, 02:14 AM   #3
Tol

No shipping, no tax
From a local range owned by a very good guy.
Old December 13, 2001, 08:47 AM   #4
bedlamite

It's a great price, but depending on what you are shooting it in and how hot you load it, used 40 s&w brass can be trouble. The combination of stretched brass, full power loads, and loose chambers can lead to a KaBoom! Take a dial caliper along, if you find a lot of cases that measure over .433" in diameter, pass on it. Also, you might want to know that Fedral redesigned the case a while ago, the old cases headstamp is FC, and the newer ones say FEDRAL. The newer ones are better. It's also best to load full power loads in cases that you know the full history of; Once fired may mean they bought reloads and fired them once.

You're new to reloading, so you might want to check out http://www.greent.com/40Page/index2.htm
In particular, read the "Report on Glock 40s&w !kB" and "Why you shouldn't use 180gr bullet", The data sounds questionable and may be exaggerated, but the underlying theory is true. I'm not trying to scare you away from reloading, just realize that while the 40 s&w is not any harder to load than other rounds, it leaves less room for error.
Old December 13, 2001, 10:00 AM   #5
LilJoe

Yes you have to watch what your shooting hot 40 loads in. If the chamber doesn't fully support the case then your case life won't last as long. But for not loading 180gr bullets in them, I have a problem thinking that. Due to loading over 15,000 180gr LRN I haven't had a problem. And some of the cases have been loaded over 40 times. To be exact I have 4 cases that I load everytime they are shot and have been reloaded 44 times. Want to see when they go.

The price is an excellent price. Just watch out for A-merc cases. They don't like to center the flash hole in some of their cases with the 40.
Old December 14, 2001, 01:53 PM   #6
Tol

Thank you very much fellas.

You are quite right about me being very new to reloading. This forum and the Speer #13 have been quite helpful.

I read the article on shooting 180 g in .40 and since I can see no reason not to, I am going to shoot 165 g. Come summer IPSC, we'll see about an aftermarket barrel with a little better support.

I would welcome email from anyone who has any suggestions.

T
Old December 15, 2001, 03:19 AM   #7
Clark

It is not a great price if the custom agent is LilJoe