The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 14, 2009, 10:40 AM   #1
Retiredit

RADOM VIS. Mod. 35 magazine question...

I have a couple of these magazines and cannot figure out how to take them apart to clean. The only way that seems possible, is to pull the extended lip on the floor plate with pliars. There is no spring tension release (that I can see) and the magazines don't look like they were ever abused in any way? Is it possible the follower is removed first???????????
Thanks
Old June 14, 2009, 12:58 PM   #2
guy sajer

Use a brass or aluminum rod (non-abrasive) and depress the magazine follower down about 3/4 into the magazine . Stick a paper clip or equivalent into the closest hole under the follower which will capture the spring . You should then be able to work the follower out the top . The carefully remove the spring . Clean it up and reverse to reassemble . This works on most all of the mags without removeable base plates .

Please support Crimson Trace Grips , Mossberg and Beretta . They support our troops .
Old June 14, 2009, 02:13 PM   #3
Retiredit

I've tried holding the spring that's pushing the follower, but that doesn't seem to be working. There's not enough wiggle room to get the follower out.
Old June 14, 2009, 02:39 PM   #4
guy sajer

I've used the above method on many other models with success . Just figured it would work on all . Sorry .

I sold my VIS-35's years ago . Possibly there is a very small drift pin holding the base plate ?

Please support Crimson Trace Grips , Mossberg and Beretta . They support our troops .
Old June 14, 2009, 07:55 PM   #5
Retiredit

Guy, I appreciate any and all replies! I've been goofing with this for a week or so and have yet reached a solution. Here's a picture. Those 2 small pins on the bottom made me believe that those would be tapped out in order to remove the b plate but they don't look like they've ever been touched and these are from a 60+ year old gun. I'm wondering if the mags were throw aways but that doesn't make sense. This was a Nazi produced weapon made in Poland.

How would you field strip it?????

Old June 14, 2009, 08:30 PM   #6
SDC

That would probably be the way to disassemble them, but the question you want to ask yourself is "Is it WORTH it to disassemble them?" You could probably clean them just as (if not more) effectively simply by spraying them out with gunscrubber, or putting them in a vibratory cleaner, then blowing them out with compressed air and lightly spraying the follower with some lube. If you drive the base pins out (which look like they were never INTENDED to be taken out), you'll be able to take the mags completely apart, but you'll probably also end up enlarging the holes in the baseplate and/or sides of the mag, possibly causing more problems than the other method would.
Old June 14, 2009, 08:59 PM   #7
guy sajer

Actually , the VIS35 mags are very sturdy and well built for a service pistol . The lack of easy disassembly is a negative though as you observe . The Browning P35 and P38 were probably the best design of that time with the sliding removeable floor plate .

I would agree with SDC . By removing the pins , you increase the chances of damaging an expensive and difficult to locate vintage magazine .

Rather than Gun Scrubber which leaves behind no oil or protection , flush it with Hornady One-Shot cleaner . Move the follower up and down , flush again . Repeat as needed and let it dry . One-Shot leaves behind a dry protectant/lube .

Old June 14, 2009, 09:55 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Just put some good solvent in a can large enough to slosh the magazines around to clean them, then spray with a light lubricant or even leave them dry and oil the outside to prevent rust.

(At one time, the "solvent" would have been gasoline, but that is now politically incorrect, so I am sure no one would use it, even though it is cheap and does the job well. Should a politically incorrect person use gasoline, no smoking!)

Jim
Old June 15, 2009, 05:17 AM   #9
Retiredit

Fortunately, I did all the above. I tried the gun scrubber and compressed air, then decided to soak them in gas (along with my SS check comes a pass exempting me from being PC) and blew them out again. I oiled the outside and was wondering what could be done with the inside. If I can remember to spray lightly, I should be OK, but my problem is I'm a soaker. Best if I have the wife do it!

Thanks everyone.
Old June 18, 2009, 05:26 AM   #10
Retiredit

I ended up soaking them in Break Free and blew them out with compressed air. I gave them back to my buddy and we're going to try them out this weekend.

I did find replacements but I doubt if he'll spring for them if these work.
http://www.e-gunparts.com/
Old September 10, 2009, 07:28 PM   #11
gyvel

Rather than using Gunscrubber (which is a fine product, but very expensive), try using Wal-Mat "Tech" brand caruretor cleaner for $1.48 a can. Does the same thing, only much cheaper. (Warning: NOT for painted finishes, plastic or gunstocks unless you're looking to strip them.)
Old September 14, 2009, 09:15 AM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

Skip the carb cleaner. Carb cleaners can be VERY harsh and often have nasty additives designed to remove things to which a magazine will never be exposed.

Go with a generic brake cleaner. 100% degreaser.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 15, 2009, 03:23 PM   #13
James K
Member In Memoriam

I didn't say so in my earlier post, but those magazines were never intended to be taken apart. The method used for 1911 magazines will not work and trying to take them down any other way will damage them. Since original Radom mags are running $75-100, I see no point in ruining one just to clean it when other methods are available.

Jim
Old September 18, 2009, 03:30 PM   #14
TEDDY

disasembly

thats americans for you always got to take things apart and then cant fix them.peasents are not supposed to take things apart.soak them and oil them they have made it this long they will be hear after your gone.