The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 30, 2015, 06:30 AM   #1
Prof Young

Trying to apply for Concealed Carry in IL

Shooters:
So, I got the requisite 16 hours of training, mostly because my daughter was taking the course and invited me to come along. A fun way to hang out with my child. Looked at some CC guns and bought a Beretta Nano (See forum thread under semi-auto pistols) and now have tried to apply for the concealed carry.

In order to apply one has to have an Illinois Digital ID, which you get on line, but ONLY if you have the compatible web browser and the exactly correct version of JAVA on your computer. And that version of JAVA is NOT the most up to date version.

I spent about 30 minutes trying to just log into the website where one gets the digital ID and was repeatedly told I had the wrong web browser and JAVA. My computer is telling me that I have exact browser needed and the exact version of JAVA, but it's still a no go.

I haven't investigated further, but I looks like the only way to apply or CC in IL is via the internet and they have made it EXTREMELY difficult to do so. Actually, what I think is that the Illinois State Police computers systems are like most government systems and are just way out of date.

As a tax payer I get more than a bit peeved when I see our $$$ going pork barrel projects but the State Police can't have up to date computer systems.

Are we having fun yet?

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old January 30, 2015, 10:38 AM   #2
Davey

Yeah our system is jacked up.

Try this.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index...howtopic=43858
Old January 30, 2015, 07:48 PM   #3
Armed_Chicagoan

This thread deals with this issue specifically: http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index...howtopic=54409
Old January 30, 2015, 07:57 PM   #4
Pahoo

I love Iowa !!!

A good friend of mine, recently moved from Iowa to Illinois and he is going through a similar "exercise". Well, the progressive finally relented and gave the folks the right to carry but not the right to make it too easy. My buddy carried in Iowa for the past six years and was considered a good guy. Now he is in Illinois can't carry and considered a bad guy. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old February 11, 2015, 08:02 PM   #5
Prof Young

Got the e-ID

Well, I finally got the electronic ID by getting the IT gang at work to install the correct version of Java on my work computer. Then it all went through just fine. The IL web sight is still a bit confusing and cryptic but I got it done. Haven't tried to apply for my CC lic. yet, but will do soon.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old February 11, 2015, 10:20 PM   #6
Armed_Chicagoan

Prof Young if you apply with prints you'll probably have your CCL in about 35 days, 100+ days without.
Old February 11, 2015, 10:29 PM   #7
Nlight1

I didn't know Illinois let you cc. The rollers there are probably still using S.C.M.O.D.S.
Old February 12, 2015, 08:48 AM   #8
cecILL

All went smooth here. 60 days w/o prints.
Old February 28, 2015, 08:25 PM   #9
junglebob

The ISP website that you have to go through to get your CC License can be a challenge. I referred to it as ISP pergatory. I got mine last year and spent a couple of weeks getting my wife's application in this January. The Illinois Carry forum is a good place to go for help. They helped me with the problems I had. Some of it was with the digital signature and password. There was actually someone to talk to to get you through that. I got a link to downloading the proper Java program on the Illinois Carry forum. The Java version I had was to old and the most recent Java 8 is too new.

Under the Illinois Licensing Process you'll find the topic More Java Woes, Or Something Else? You can see some of the help I got there. Don't give up a lot of help is available there.

I expect my wife's CCL to come through in about 100 days from the application since new prints were submitted. The ISP gets a kickback from the fee paid for digital prints I understand. It's called "pay to play". With prints it is taking about 45 days now.

Last edited by junglebob; February 28, 2015 at 08:37 PM.