The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Closed Thread

Old November 1, 1999, 07:02 AM   #1
45King

I'm part of a group that used to be on the Prodigy Classic Shooting Sports Bulletin Boards, and during the course of our association, we started having annual get togethers in Charlotte, NC, home of Charlie Petty and the Charlotte Rifle & Pistol Club (a very nice facility, BTW.) This past weekend marked the last annual "Gunstock-Summer of Lead" gathering, as Prodigy Classic has gone belly up.

All the attendees brought along whatever they wanted to shoot, and Charlie brought along a slew of his guns. Among them were a couple of really unusual thingys.

First was a 12 ga. SxS w/20" barrels and rifle sights installed to handle the .45 Colt cartridges fired from barrel inserts. If anyone ever wants a "poor man's double rifle," this is the way to go. While accuracy was not great due to heavy, creepy triggers, it was sufficient for close in hunting purposes. Everyone who shot it was able to hit a 10" plate at 75 yds at least once out of 2 shots, with the second only being off by inches IF it were a miss at all (some people shot this gun better than I.) I figure this gun would be great for hog hunting in tight cover.

Second was the most unusual .45ACP carbine I've ever seen-I think it might be one of a kind. It uses a 1911 lower receiver, but the upper is completely different. It sports a 16" barrel with a built in compensator, and a tubular upper receiver with a skeleton buttstock covered by a zip-on-off nylon cover. The charging handle protrudes from the left side, and the gun uses standard 1911 mags. While again not a tack driver, it was pure fun to shoot. That plate was really rockin'.

Third was a .40S&W CAR-15 equiped with an Aimpoint. 'Nuff said.

I also got my first chance to shoot a Steyr Scout in 7mm-08, and I'm sold. Not a tack driver, but then, I don't expect it to act like a bench rest rifle 'cause it ain't one.

Interesting Note: A Les Baer TRS was shot from the Ransom Rest at 25yds, and turned in a .93" 10 shot group. If you're looking for a really accurate and reliable 1911, look at the Baer guns.

Another Interesting Note: Remington 788's are TACK DRIVERS! Anyone who is fortunate enough to have one, hang on to it. Anyone who runs across one for sale in ANY caliber, snap it up.

All in all, much fun was had by all attending, and once again we must say "Thanks" to Charlie and his lovely wife Nancy, as well as CRPC, for hosting this event.

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard at The Shottist's Center http://forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=45acp45lc

Old November 1, 1999, 12:45 PM   #2
David Schmidbauer
Retired Screen Name

Damn RAJ... do I have to follow you every where and post about the following...

Richard failed to mention another friends AWC Amphibian... a suppressed Ruger Standard Auto. Sound signature with standard .22LR fair was less then that of an air rifle (we even tried to lessen it by using sub-sonic .22LR but the sound signature remain the same as near as our ears could tell). When shooting Hyper-Vel .22LRs the most noticable sound was the sonic crack from the bullet.

On an additional note about suppressed .22s. I brought home some of the Sub-Sonic .22LRs and fed them through Darkman (my Supressed AR15, with or without 22LR conversion). The most noticable sound when firing the Sub-Sonic's through this was the sound of the Hammer and Action working. That and the smack of the bullet into the steel target.

All in all it was a GREAT weekend!

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Old November 2, 1999, 02:08 AM   #3
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

That .45 Carbine...
I have seen it. They are made here in Utah - Or at least a similar design - just as you said - it hooks up to your 1911's frame and turns it into a handy little carbine suitable for field work.

I posted a thread about this some time ago... last year I think. I will seen if I can find the link or a pic...

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old November 2, 1999, 03:53 AM   #4
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

My bad- not Utah - its made in Montana...
Here is the link to the old thread: http://www.thefiringline.com:8080/fo...threadid=31423

Here is the link to the web page about the carbine: http://www.mechtechsys.com/

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

[This message has been edited by George Hill (edited November 02, 1999).]
Old November 3, 1999, 06:45 AM   #5
45King

George,
Hey, that's it, alright. Charlie's gun had a differently designed comp, longer with round ports, but that's about it. I wonder where he found the neato cover for the skeleton buttstock?

Schmit,
I liked the Amphib OK, but I wasn't all that impressed with it. Seeing as how suppressed firearms are the only legal Class III items here, however, does make me contemplate the thought. However, I'd get an AWC Nexus for my .45 before I'd get the Amphibian.

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard at The Shottist's Center http://forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=45acp45lc

Old November 3, 1999, 09:10 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Sorry to hear about Prodigy, guys, some fun and informative hours were spent on that Shooting Sports BB. I remember Dean Speir and his little scenarios. He even had me do one after his font of inspiration ran dry.

I've been off Prodigy for a couple of years. Say Hi to Charley and the gang....

Dave McCracken...
Old November 4, 1999, 07:11 AM   #7
45King

Dave! Good to see you again! Hey, a lot of the gang is still together at my little website; you can click on the link after my signature. It requires registration, but it's free. Charlie & Dean are also on Prodigy Internet's SSBB now, but it's not the same. Hope we'll see more of you.

------------------

Old November 4, 1999, 02:58 PM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good to see you too, Richard. Tried to go to that website, but got lost in the Delphi registration mess. I'll try again later.

Anyway to get to that BB from here? Ain't joining Prodigy again...
Old November 7, 1999, 09:10 AM   #9
45King

Dave,
I think you can access PI boards for read only purposes if you try this URL: http://sportsrec.bb.prodigy.net

Keep trying to get registered with Delphi; it would be great to have you on board again.

------------------

Old November 8, 1999, 06:44 AM   #10
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks, I'll give it one mo' try....
Old November 9, 1999, 12:39 AM   #11
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Okay guys - take this to private email...

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Closed Thread