The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 25, 2011, 12:21 AM   #1
C0untZer0

Is it safe to have a 930 SPX cocked with a shell in the chamber?

Someone else posted on another forum that having the 930 cocked with the safety on could lead to a bump fire? - If dropped I guess...

He made the argument that it's just a quick to cock it as it is to take the safety off but safer to leave it uncocked.

I'm not very familiar with the internals of the 930 so I don't know...
Old July 25, 2011, 07:42 AM   #2
Smitty in CT

The safety on all of the modern Mossberg shotguns (post 1960's, anyway) use a "Hammer Block" style safety. With the safety in the on position, the hammer cannot physically get to the firing pin.

All of these Mossberg shotguns are "Drop Safe".....

Of course, a safety is still a mechanical device, and therefore can fail, so never rely on the a safety device to replace safe gun handilng...

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton

Last edited by Smitty in CT; July 25, 2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old July 25, 2011, 09:29 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Personally, I put ZERO faith in the integrity of any mechanical safety on a firearm to prevent discharge of any sort.

I use it but I do not count on it... Thus, I keep it propped on the wall where nothing to fall to the trigger nor can the gun fall.

In the woods, when walking woth the safety on, I still point it skyward as I maintain the "zero faith" mindset.

I was always told that the safety on my Mossbergs do not do much to prevent a drop-fire situation but I cannot remember off the top of my head so I cannot dispute the "hammer block" aspect... been a while since I been in mine.

Brent
Old July 25, 2011, 09:45 AM   #4
EdInk

I don't store any shotgun cocked with a round in the chamber. I prefer to leave the chamber empty, the safety off and ready so I can rack the slide without having to use the release lever.
Old July 25, 2011, 12:00 PM   #5
Mrgunsngear

I store mine with a round in the chamber. If you follow the safety rules, it will never be a problem.