The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 28, 2005, 04:31 PM   #1
Duxman

Winter Gloves / Coat CC techniques...

For those of us in the winter climate areas, how many of you have experience shooting with gloves on? (How much does it affect draw and shoot time, plus accuracy)

Also any tips on how to draw more effectively with winter coats on? (Whether its strong side draw or shoulder....)

I spoke to one of my friends who was with the CIA for 10 years, and he mentioned, using a thinner, leather glove and practicing with it.
Old February 28, 2005, 05:07 PM   #2
n3twrkm4n

I would strongly suggest a neoprene glove they are tight fitting extremely warm and just a great technology for gloves. They are a tighter fit than a leather glove would be. but I usually just wear a smaller size leather glove for a tighter fit. "Fits like a glove..." I think a lot of people have a tedency to buy a glove that is bigger than it should be.

I have not had experience with pistol carry with gloves but I know when hunting in cold climates the neoprene gloves allowed me to fiddle in my pockets to get calls out and pull the trigger on my long gun just as easy if I was bare handed.
Old February 28, 2005, 06:38 PM   #3
Dwight55

I've tried every glove I can find in my 60 years, . . . and I just finally decided that probably the best (for me, . . . mind you), . . . is a very loose fitting deer skin glove with Thinsulate lining.

In one flowing motion, my hand goes down (the glove comes off), . . . the hand moves toward the rear (moving my cover garment), . . . the hand comes up (picking and pulling out the .45), . . . and brings it to bear where it is needed, . . . picking up the weak hand, a rest, or whatever is next.

The key for me is being able to shuck that right hand glove in a hurry. I don't trust my "feel" for my 1911 to any glove, . . . I like my hand. I also am prone to just not wear a glove on my right hand either. Lotsa times, just keep the hand in the pocket, . . . make believe it is a glove.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old February 28, 2005, 06:40 PM   #4
Troponin

I have small, thin leathered gloves that I used to wear for riding motorcycle. They fit very snug and I don't usually have a problem, but then again, I rarely wear any gloves at all.
Old February 28, 2005, 08:38 PM   #5
Duxman

Thank you gentlemen. This is great advice. I will definately try the neoprene. I have been doing the throw the glove off trick for now, and the no-glove, but the VA winters are chilling my hands way too much.
Old March 4, 2005, 12:15 AM   #6
riverkeeper

Try some golf gloves for

cold but not frigid weather.
Old March 4, 2005, 02:20 AM   #7
BillCA

If the weather isn't into the freezing temps, I prefer to wear a single-layer deerskin glove. Find them at motorcycle shops is usually easiest for me. The gloves you want have inside seams so that the outside is smooth and doesn't have those "ridges" along the fingers. These are full coverage gloves up to your wrist with elastic to keep 'em on once they start to stretch a little.

In colder temps, I also like Thinsulate gloves or neoprene. Experiment on the range first, however. I've found that some gloves, combined with cold fingers and result in the gun discharging a tad earlier than you intend.
Old March 4, 2005, 10:15 AM   #8
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

I have a nice pair of North Face winter gloves intended for mountaineering. While warm, they still permit fairly decent manual dexterity and aren't too bulky to go inside a trigger guard.

As far as drawing from under a coat goes, well, that's why there's a J-frame Centennial equipped with CTC LaserGrips (currently a 432PD) that lives in the outer pocket of my Columbia parka all winter long.
Old March 4, 2005, 10:50 AM   #9
Duxman

Interesting Trick Tamara. I think I will be designating my Makarov for the same duty as your J-frame.
Old March 4, 2005, 01:04 PM   #10
Bulldozer

I find myself often carrying my 3" M-66 crossdraw in the coldest winter months as it is easier to get to than behind the hip IWB/OWB with all the layers of clothing on. I can just lift the front of the jacket/sweater/etc with left hand as right hand reaches for the piece.

And yes, practice with gloves on. I have thinsulate lined leather ultra-thin gloves that I practice with fairly frequently. Since winter starts in late October and runs until Memorial Day in my area, I need to be conversant with weapons handling in these conditions.

If you are carrying, also practice reloads with the gloves on. This is one area where the safariland Comp I/II design beats the HKS. Having to try and turn that damned knob on the HKS is a major hassle, whereas the Comp push-in design is far easier.
Old March 4, 2005, 01:37 PM   #11
Malamute

Deerskin "roper" gloves work pretty well. Need to buy then almost too tight to get on and off, then they stretch to fit perfectly. Seams are flat. They give a nice feel, I can work or load my guns wearing them. I can get into my pockets with them on and get things out. Can be pulled off with the teeth if necessary. Most of the decent "cowboy" or "western" stores or tack shops should have them.